DS Cam home mode issues and IFTTT

Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Bofferding
Trainee
Trainee

DS Cam home mode issues and IFTTT

Unread post by Bofferding » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Hey,

I was excited about the new feature Geofence however it turned out to work way worse than expected.

I want to use it the basic way, leave home, home mode off, enter home, home mode on. I set it to 30 seconds and 100 meters however it never turns on and off except if I pull out my iphone 7 and open the app myself. Sometimes when far away from home, if I open the app, it will turn on home mode after a few seconds even though I am most certainly not in range.

It’s completly unreliable. I havé localisation set to « Always » in the settings and refresh in background on yes. If phone isnt unlocked and even if app isnt open nothing will change by itself.

I am looking into actions and IFTTT automatisation now, seems more reliable. Anyone created a successfull IFTTT home mode rule? I suck with it.

How to create and use an action to turn on and off Home mode in IFTTT?

Thy

Wrynot
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS Cam home mode issues and IFTTT

Unread post by Wrynot » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:24 am

I have the same experience - completely random whether the geofence works or not. Mostly not. If I open DS Cam, it will trigger the geofence, but that is not practical every time I leave home or return. I have notifications set to be informed when I enter or leave home mode. I receive these even less frequently than the geofence working!
I have contacted Synology support. They have been no help so far, though did initially respond, and appear to have dropped my case.
I have tried with different parameters, different cams, nothing.

Bofferding
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Bofferding » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:28 am

And funny enough if I open the app while it's NOT in Home mode and I am far away from home, it will sometimes believe that I am home and switch Home mode on... which is stupid.

Also I tried with the Enhanced precision setting, but that ended up using 30% of my iPhone 7 Plus battery in less than 4 hours running in Background...

I think and hope that as it is a new feature they are currently working on making it usable because right now it's more a gimmick than a useful feature

vicw
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by vicw » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:46 am

I experimented using Geofence, but found it was impractical for my needs, since I want Home Mode to switch off only when my wife and I both leave the house. Since then I have been turning Home Mode Off and On manually from my mobile phone, as needed, which is a minor inconvenience.

What I am hoping for would be the ability to use IFTTT to be able to automatically trigger Home Mode Off whenever I activate my alarm system to the Away Mode, and back to Home Mode On when I return and deactivate the alarm system.

SirSoulBrother
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by SirSoulBrother » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:48 am

I'm happy that I'm not the only one with this issue. I recently upgraded my DSM and found that they revamped all of SS. I set the Home/geofencing feature with rules to turn on and off my cameras. It does not seem to switch automatically when I'm home and connected to my router unless I hope the DS Cam app which seems to defeat the purpose of making it 'automatic'. I hope they fix this.

elpiako
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by elpiako » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:10 am

Hi,
Geofencing not usable for me too.
My issue is simple : when Geofence is ON, it keeps my home mode ON all time, whatever I'm at home, or not.
Sometimes, when I'm coming back at home and enter into my home zone, Geofencing leaves the home mode (yes, you read right), and then enters back into home mode 5 minutes later...
If I disable home mode manually, geofence may re-enable it randomly even if I'm not at home.

ReefAviator
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by ReefAviator » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:36 pm

I will pile on to keep this thread alive. Home mode is pretty much a complete fail for me as well. I am binding two iPhone 7s and I am duplicating the same problems mentioned by the other posters.

I really like the idea of an IFTT solution. I hope the Synology developers are listening.

pbw
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by pbw » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:41 pm

elpiako wrote:Hi,
Geofencing not usable for me too.
Sometimes, when I'm coming back at home and enter into my home zone, Geofencing leaves the home mode (yes, you read right), and then enters back into home mode 5 minutes later...
I have the very same issues, home mode seems reversed when using my iPhone. I never get a message when leaving home, only when arriving home but it thinks I leave home.

Bofferding
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Bofferding » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:10 am

So now X months have past and home is this the same crap it has always been and still no IFTTT support to at least allow us to manually improve it. What a sad bull.

Still the same stupid bugs like mentioned by others before me, on my iphone 7 plus home mode triggers randomly when I get home (it leaves home mode!!) and sometimes randomly turns off homemode when I am at home.

It barely ever turns off home mode on it’s own when I am indeed out of the house and when it does it often is a few hours later

mannycastaneda
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mannycastaneda » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Any further progress on either an integration path to use IFTTT, Zapier or something else to set Home mode or fixing the Geofencing so it actually works?

Return to “DS cam”