Support of FLAC and continuous playing

Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
dakchi
Trainee
Trainee

Support of FLAC and continuous playing

Postby dakchi » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Hello,

I am playing all my music through my Apple TV through Airplay. It is mostly Flac files stored in my Synology. The only player I am using is DS Audio. I know that I can play FLAC files in DS Audio, but I am wondering if they are transcoded to MP3 or WAV while they are played? If that is the case, what are the options we have to read FLAC files without losing quality? is there any other player?
The second question I have is regarding continuous playing of music. What I have noticed is that, when playing a playlist, the songs are not played one after the other. There is a gap before playing the next song. Is there a way to remove this?

Many thanks for your help
JulianWells
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Support of FLAC and continuous playing

Postby JulianWells » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:41 pm

dakchi wrote:I know that I can play FLAC files in DS Audio, but I am wondering if they are transcoded to MP3 or WAV while they are played?

I'm new here too so I get it but you definitely should have done some browsing / searching before writing this. I only say this because the first part of this sentence is misleading - DS audio cannot play FLAC files (I was wondering this myself earlier) - and the second part, the question, was just answered. See the thread eloquently titled "Why DS Audio / AudioStation sucks?" which, at the time of your posting, was the newest thread in the DS audio sub. The answer is yes.
dakchi
Trainee
Trainee

Postby dakchi » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:20 pm

JulianWells wrote:
dakchi wrote:I know that I can play FLAC files in DS Audio, but I am wondering if they are transcoded to MP3 or WAV while they are played?

I'm new here too so I get it but you definitely should have done some browsing / searching before writing this. I only say this because the first part of this sentence is misleading - DS audio cannot play FLAC files (I was wondering this myself earlier) - and the second part, the question, was just answered. See the thread eloquently titled "Why DS Audio / AudioStation sucks?" which, at the time of your posting, was the newest thread in the DS audio sub. The answer is yes.

Thank you for your reply. I just saw that thread. I understand that DS Audio does transcode to MP3 and WAV which is a petty because all my music is FLAC. There is no point to download FLAC if they will be played as MP3. What other options we have? is there any app supported by Synology that reads FLAC without transcoding it?
mitya_nsk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mitya_nsk » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:25 pm

I'll be happy if synology would add native flac support, because 70% of my library is in flac and I'm listening to it in my car stereo system. And it is an audible difference between flac and converted MP3 version. Plus low CPU load. My vote for native flac support.
bigcid10
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bigcid10 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:58 am

I'm in this boat too !
all of my music is flac
it can be transcoded to wav though.but I would like no transcoding at all
Thanks

If someone has any suggestion on an alternative ?
Thank you
Synology DS716+II
Raid 0 for now
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:18 pm

bigcid10 wrote:I'm in this boat too !
all of my music is flac
it can be transcoded to wav though.but I would like no transcoding at all
Thanks

If someone has any suggestion on an alternative ?
Thank you

Subsonic. Install via Docker
bigcid10
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bigcid10 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:41 pm

actually they have a DSM addon
I'm using it now, Thank you
Synology DS716+II
Raid 0 for now

Return to “DS audio”