Photo backup will not work when remote

Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Phil916
I'm New!
I'm New!

Photo backup will not work when remote

Postby Phil916 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:58 pm

Hi,

A really strange situation. I have a DS916+ and use it to back up photos, via DS Photo on an iPhone. I have set it up to only back up via wifi and when connected via my home Lan it works fine! However, when I am remote, I can log into DS Photo, it shows all of my albums, but it will not auto back up. Bizarrely, if I manually select photos from the iPhone, it will back these up.

I do not have geo fencing set up, DS photo confirms connection to my NAS box, just auto upload will not work. I have the latest updates on NAS, latest version of DS Photo on phone?

Any ideas anyone,

Cheers

Phil
Phil916
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Photo backup will not work when remote

Postby Phil916 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:48 pm

I see there has been a lot of views of this issue, but no solutions?

I solved it today and cannot believe that more people haven't suffered from this issue.

Bottom line is that there is a separate set of login credentials within the DS photo app, under the photo backup setting? I don't recall inputting this information on initial install and assume that it just picks up the DS Photo from screen logon details. Unfortunately these photo backup credentials don't sync with a change in overall logon credentials ie when changing from internal ip on lan to external ip address when remote. Therefore although successfully logged on to the disk station when remote, the photo backup option was still trying to log using an internal ip address and hence couldn't connect. This also explains why it was possible to manually upload photos, since this just uses the overall logon for the app.

A simple reconfig to use the external ip address for the photo backup credentials, and the app now works both when on LAN and when remote - problem solved!

Hope this is of use to someone out there, it caused me much frustration and wasted time!

Cheers

Phil
kjcooling
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby kjcooling » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:34 am

I've just got this issue now. I had DS Photo configured for backup over wifi using my domain name (had an internal redirect so domain pointer worked inside LAN). All was working fine until about 2 days ago when my backups stopped working. Now when I reconfigure the backup and I enter my domain name (outside of the Lab) it says it can't connect, but if I enter the IP address, it works fine. Domain is configured fine as I'm logging into the main DS app (and other apps) using the domain - it's only the backup that it won't accept.
pi314
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby pi314 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:42 pm

I also can no longer login for photo backup. I am well aware that there are two logins.
The login on the DS photo entry page works (for browsing, uploads) but the extra login for photo backup no longer works. It last worked Jan 14th and failed since at least Jan 18th.
I get the error:
Login failed. Please make sure the DiskStation IP is correct and the DSM version is newer than 3.0

I'm using the latest DSM version (DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 5) and the latest DS photo (Android).

For both logins I use the same infos domain name and HTTPS.
When I use internal IP, photo backup works (with and without HTTPS). Photo backup with domain but without HTTPS works too. But my router firewall rules haven't changed and I can connect with the DS photo main app anyway.
I first thought it might be a certificate issue since I use LetsEncrypt certs, but I don't think so, as the cert is valid since Jan 8th where it still worked. It still might be an HTTPS related issue.
goscho
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby goscho » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:59 pm

pi314 wrote:I also can no longer login for photo backup. I am well aware that there are two logins.
The login on the DS photo entry page works (for browsing, uploads) but the extra login for photo backup no longer works. It last worked Jan 14th and failed since at least Jan 18th.
I get the error:
Login failed. Please make sure the DiskStation IP is correct and the DSM version is newer than 3.0

I'm using the latest DSM version (DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 5) and the latest DS photo (Android).

For both logins I use the same infos domain name and HTTPS.
When I use internal IP, photo backup works (with and without HTTPS). Photo backup with domain but without HTTPS works too. But my router firewall rules haven't changed and I can connect with the DS photo main app anyway.
I first thought it might be a certificate issue since I use LetsEncrypt certs, but I don't think so, as the cert is valid since Jan 8th where it still worked. It still might be an HTTPS related issue.

Exaclty the same problem and configuration here!

Funny thing is: Restarting Diskstation solved the problem for a while but after some photo uploads backup hangs again. Switching from external IP to internal didn't help :(

Edit
I logged in to DSM and noticed, that there is still image convertion in progress - even if the last photo upload was days ago. Maybe the backup/conversion process has issues and does not respond?

Edit
It seems that it is a https problem.
Using https://my.ddns.com as host name and disable the https toggle in the backup settings it seems to work again – don‘t know if the connection is using ssl but it‘s working again
pi314
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby pi314 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:14 pm

I just tried it again (with HTTPS) and it works! Probably thanks to the recent update of Photo Station to v6.8.4-3468.
See also their release notes.

Maybe it was this fix in Version: 6.3-2974:
Fixed an issue where backing up photos via DS photo might fail when the network environment is switched.

Return to “DS photo”