Photo Backup hangs when trying to Backup *.HEIC Files

Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
MrGPS
I'm New!
I'm New!

Photo Backup hangs when trying to Backup *.HEIC Files

Postby MrGPS » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:37 am

IOS 11 introduces new Compressed Video and Photo formats which causes Photo Backup to just cycle at the same file permanently.

I am Using the IOS11 public Beta 1 on an iPad Pro 10.5. to record a few sample Videos/Photos.

Now i wanted to backup these Photos/Videos via DS-Photo Photo Backup before going back to the offizial 10.3.2 IOS Version but Photo Backup listens the Photo and displays the proper thumbnail but just cycles permanently at that xxxxxxx.HEIC File.

So it also does not continue to the next normal .mov, .png, .jpg files.

Is there a plan to support these new Photo/Video Filetypes in Photo Backup real soon ?

Is there any chance to ignore those Filetypes until they are fully supported to at least continue and saving my other old Photos/Videos ?
woody140284
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Photo Backup hangs when trying to Backup *.HEIC Files

Postby woody140284 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:26 am

I’m seeing this exact same problem and its very frustrating. I know iOS11 is still in beta, so hopefully there will be an update before it goes live...

Thanks

Carl
bamfhacker
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bamfhacker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:06 pm

I am sure they will get the DS Photo app and Photo Station ready before the public release of iOS11. Remember the beta periods for iOS are for the developers to get their apps ready.
che1404
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby che1404 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi!
Same problem here with iOS 11 and HEIC Files.
Hopefully they can release an update with a fix.
jandewever
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jandewever » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:51 pm

Same here!

Latest DS Photo, iOS11 public beta3
DS410-33
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby DS410-33 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:37 am

Same problem.
grumtech
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby grumtech » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:59 pm

Same here, will this be fixed in time for IOS11 Official release do you think?
DaveHamilton
Novice
Novice

Postby DaveHamilton » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:54 pm

iOS 11 went GM (gold master) yesterday, and is released next week. Hopefully we'll see a whole slew of DS-app updates this week.

Has anyone communicated with Synology about this directly?
scottkriss
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby scottkriss » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:56 pm

I have iOS 11 GM and have encountered the same issue. DS Photo is now useless. Please update!
DaveHamilton
Novice
Novice

Postby DaveHamilton » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:33 pm

DS Photo 4.13.3 for iOS hit today that includes "Added format compatibility on iOS 11 by converting HEIF images to JPEGs during photo backup or uploads". In theory, that should solve this for us.

Unfortunately, when I go in to re-enable backup on my iPhone, I choose my previously-used backup folder and it just spins there, saying "Load more items... Showing 0 of 43993 items" and never seems to get past this. I'm running the iOS 11 GM.

Anyone else update and have success re-enabling backups?

[Edit: Tapping on the radio button next to my folder allows me to choose it and my backups work. But tapping on the folder itself in that dialog yields the aforementioned "0 of 43993" issue, so there's still an issue, albeit not a showstopper! :) ]
goose7791
Rookie
Rookie

Postby goose7791 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:12 pm

I saw this update to my DS photo app today. Am I the only one that has a problem with this? Converting a newer, better image formatted file to an older one just to make the app work? Would it not be better to add support for the HEIF file format to photo station instead? I use my DS photo app as a means of backing up my iphone images to my Synology. My preference is to be able to keep a like for like copy, not a copy that Synology dictates that I use.
scottkriss
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby scottkriss » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:51 pm

goose7791 wrote:I saw this update to my DS photo app today. Am I the only one that has a problem with this? Converting a newer, better image formatted file to an older one just to make the app work? Would it not be better to add support for the HEIF file format to photo station instead? I use my DS photo app as a means of backing up my iphone images to my Synology. My preference is to be able to keep a like for like copy, not a copy that Synology dictates that I use.

I second this. One of the reasons for this new format is to save space, so it seems like a hack to convert them as it backs them up. Makes sense for the back up to save space too. Not to mention if those images need to be restored to the device they are back to jpg. Hopefully they will just support the actual file format in an upcoming update

Return to “DS photo”