Resource monitor not working

A major DSM update that includes: VMware vSphere 5.0 VAAI Support, Firewall with Traffic Control, Speed Limit, FTP Server(SFTP, FXP), Recycle Bin on all file protocols, QuickConnect - File Sharing, Connection via Proxy Server, SNMP v3, Video Station, Surveillance Station 6, DS download on iPhone, DS video on iPhone/iPad, DS photo+ and DS audio on Windows Phone 7, along with other software enhancements
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
ZINISHI79
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Resource monitor not working

Unread post by ZINISHI79 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:36 am

I had the same issue and have no third party packages installed which was resolved by disabling SNMP through web interface.

Control panel ==> SNMP then remove tick from "Enable SNMP service" and apply.

Blue
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Blue » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:43 pm

I had the same problem - resource monitor did not run (no IPGK and no third party apps installed).
What actually fixed it for me was to enable SNMP through the web interface.
Obviously i had had it disabled during initial configuration since i usually do not use it.

alsto
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by alsto » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:57 pm

I have no packages installed either but opposite to the above post: I disabled SNMP and rebooted and it started working. Then renabled and it was working again with SNMP enabled.

asilverton
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by asilverton » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:50 pm

I had the same problem and was able to get the resource monitor working by removing the optware net-snmp package. It's clear that the new resource monitor uses SNMP to provide some of its information. That's not a bad thing as various MIBs exist for just that.

However, I also run Cacti on my DS1010+ for monitoring not just my NAS but the rest of my network. This requires some additional snmpd.conf directives as well as SNMP tools that are not included in DSM.

I first tried reinstalling the optware net-snmp but not starting it. This way, I have the additional command line tools for Cacti. I then put my additional configuration parameters in the DSM snmpd configuration file, "/usr/syno/etc/snmpd.conf. But, certain actions, e.g., toggling DSM SNMP on/off seem to rewrite the configuration file and my changes were lost. I haven't fully investigated this as it was more important to me to find something that did work immediately.

Ultimately, I left the DSM SNMP alone and running with its default parameters. I then configured the optware net-snmp daemon to run on different ports. In my case, I changed udp:161 to udp:10161. (If using SNMP traps, one should probably change port 162 to something else, too.)

I now have the following running (output from ps):

Code: Select all

/opt/sbin/snmpd -c /opt/etc/snmpd.conf -p /opt/var/run/snmpd.pid
/usr/syno/sbin/snmpd -Ln -c /usr/syno/etc/snmpd.conf -p /var/run/snmpd.pid udp:161,udp6:161,tcp:161,tcp6:161
and the resource monitor works just fine. I still have to ensure that everything is persistent across reboots.

tooney
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by tooney » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:26 am

Hi everyone,

I had the exactly same problem, and I solved it with the advices from asilverton ;)

So I have the following snmpd processes running :

nas> ps | grep snmpd
11211 root      5896 S    /opt/sbin/snmpd -c /opt/etc/snmpd.conf
11466 root     12080 S    /usr/syno/sbin/snmpd -Ln -c /usr/syno/etc/snmpd.conf
  • /opt/sbin/snmpd is the ipkg SNMP daemon
  • /usr/syno/sbin/snmpd is the Synology default SNMP daemon used for Resource Monitor
As we can't modify the Synology default process, I made the ipkg process running on another port than 161.

It's really simple!!! You just have to add the following line in your "/opt/etc/snmpd.conf" file :

agentaddress 127.0.0.1:10161
and just reboot your Synology device.

From then, I'm able to have Resource Monitor running while polling my NAS with Cacti installed :D

Enjoy!

tooney
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by tooney » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:43 pm

In addition, Cacti polling is made on port 10161 in my case, obviously ;)

LeCoyote
Novice
Novice

Unread post by LeCoyote » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi,

Just FYI, rebooting is clearly not necessary. Once you've made sure that the optware (ipkg) snmp daemon is properly stopped, just restard Syno's:

/usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.d/S08snmpd.sh restart
Cheers :)
--
Romain

auge
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by auge » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:22 am

Blue wrote:I had the same problem - resource monitor did not run (no IPGK and no third party apps installed).
What actually fixed it for me was to enable SNMP through the web interface.
Obviously i had had it disabled during initial configuration since i usually do not use it.
I also had to ENABLE the Synology SNMP through the management interface since the resource monitor "just" stopped working ...

Its weird, since I did not reboot or modify ipkg.
DS209 - 2x 1.5TB
DS410 - 4x 2TB @ RAID5 & 2TB eSATA
PS3

Return to “DiskStation Manager 4.1 BETA”