Wordpress install won't run...blank screen

Questions about hosting a Website, using MySQL, PhP or MariaDB may be posted here.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
lwburke1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Wordpress install won't run...blank screen

Unread post by lwburke1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:29 pm

Hey folks,

I am stuck. I am trying to install multiple installations of Wordpress (from .org, not the Synology version) and cannot get the install to run. I hit a blank screen when I attempt to http to the folder from the browser. The install script will not run. I've searched this forum and other resources for solutions and there is still something I am missing.

I used the following procedure to perform the installation: http://sridhar.blog/install-multiple-wo ... ology-nas/. There are several people who have written similar procedures and I tried them as well.

I've got Web Station set up with a Virtual Host for "mywebsite1.dev." It's set with Apache 2.4 and PHP 7. My hosts file on my Mac reflects the right server IP address for mywebsite1.dev. I've got a database in Maria called "mywebsite1." There is a folder below Web called mywebsite1 with HTTP "write" permissions, and in it is the latest version of WP, 4.9.4. I've checked and all the files are there. I've set up wp-config with the appropriate entries using the procedure I referenced above.

Step 11 in the procedure above is a little different because the PHP settings are more basic in Web Station - it looks like all the extensions are already there, however.

I complete steps 1-12 and get to 13 and get a blank screen. I've wiped everything out and started over from scratch three times.

One thing I did do to troubleshoot was installed the Synology version of WP. The installation and subsequent configuration ran successfully, so I know at least some aspects of my configuration are correct.

If I had to guess, I would say it is a Synology server config related to Web Station that is preventing access to something.

Any other places to look or procedures to follow to isolate the problem(s)?

One more thing in case it wasn't clear: I am not attempting to access from outside my LAN. These are not externally-facing sites, just creative playgrounds. I will eventually use Duplicator or something to move them to actual hosting providers (which is another reason why I wish to stick with generic WP and not using Synology's version).

Thank you.

grosejon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Wordpress install won't run...blank screen

Unread post by grosejon » Tue May 15, 2018 5:49 am

This is EXACTLY the issue I am having... except I've restarted more than 3 times. I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I even set up the install in a second NAS I had previously to see if it was an issue with my current machine.

Please someone answer this.

gbrundin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by gbrundin » Wed May 23, 2018 10:58 am

Having the same issue! I have an old DS212+ (running latest DSM) which I have set up with multiple manual WP-installations with no problems. Invested in a new DS918+ do use as my new web server, only to find out I cannot even install WP manually? This must be a bug.

vassil_bk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by vassil_bk » Wed May 23, 2018 2:52 pm

Did you check my how to steps here: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 1&t=139691
VASKION.com

grosejon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by grosejon » Wed May 23, 2018 2:55 pm

Yes I have followed those guides plus others. I cannot even get the first site to run, let alone a second. I am almost certain it has to do with some issue regarding permissions. The blank screen occurs after entering your database info in the WordPress step 1 page. When you continue it does not load step 2.

I have also tried creating my own wp-config file but that results in the same issue.

vassil_bk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by vassil_bk » Wed May 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Well... I think it would be better if you uninstall WordPress, MariaDB, WebStation and PHP so that you clean every changes made so far, restart the unit and start over again. This time though install the Synology WordPress package and make it run OK for one site. Then follow my steps for the second instance of WordPress.
VASKION.com

Paul Barrett
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Paul Barrett » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:08 pm

I have this problem when I try to use php7

Use 5.6 and it should work OK. I have 5 or 6 installs now using Apache 2.4. php5.6 and Maria DB10.

I also have set of instructions on my blog:

http://pfbarrett.uk/transferring-a-word ... ology-nas/
Main: 916+
Test: 716+II
Backup: DS216j
RT2600ac Router
Ver: Always the latest :)

Return to “Web Server + PHP / MySQL + MariaDB”