WARNING!!! Do not use Cloud Station anymore

Discussion room for Synology Cloud Station package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
hagenlehmann
Trainee
Trainee

WARNING!!! Do not use Cloud Station anymore

Postby hagenlehmann » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:14 pm

Dear Synology-users.

As my problem is obviously a wide spread phenomenon I would like to pronounce a serve warning to :!: NOT :!: use Cloud Station until its bugs have been fixed.

Cloud Station in the current version 3.0-3103 (Windows client) in combination with the current DSM version 5.0-4458 Update 1 is :!: NOT :!: able to synchronize medium sized directories (53 GB/approx. 22,000 files, 40 GB/approx. 6,600 files, 14 GB/approx. 33,000 files). Whenever a file or directory has been changed the client application seem (!) to synchronize the concerning objects and reports success by displaying a green checkmark and a balloon message (you can even hear access sounds of the harddisks). In fact, the objects have NOT been stored and/or synchronized!!!

An almost seven day lasting journey through all possible error causes (configuration, authorization issues etc.) now leaves the only possible source of malfunction: the client.

IN CASE YOU REQUIRE A RELIABLE AND SECURE CLOUD SOLUTION DO NOT PUT YOUR TRUST ON CLOUD STATION. Your data with be thankful (I lost 20 year old photographs due to synchronization errors which have been backed up).

Regards.
Hagen Lehmann
devpeeps
Student
Student

Re: WARNING!!! Do not use Cloud Station anymore

Postby devpeeps » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:52 pm

Glad I don't use CloudStation :-P Thanks for the notice.
________________________________________________________________________________
Storage: Synology NAS DS1512+ (5x3TB WD Red), SHR1, No Hot Spares
Network: Wired 1G, Wireless N300/G/AC3100/WAC120
Power: APC Back-UPS RS 700G x 2
Media Heads: ROKU Stick, WDTV Live, WDTV Live Pro, Chromecast, XBOX One
Mobile Devices: Lenovo Win8.1 Tablet, Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport/S6 Edge/Note 5, iPad
TBFGhost
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TBFGhost » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:22 pm

yeah, I am starting to see a problem here. I am running the most current versions of everything and things are not syncing correctly. I have files I added on my laptop that say they are synced on my laptop but don't show up in my phone in either DS Cloud or DS File. Same thing happens with my phone. I just uploaded 3 photos with DS File to the NAS into a folder that should be synced and I can't see them on my LAPTOP.

Thoughts?
kenjiswb
Trainee
Trainee

Postby kenjiswb » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:56 am

So silly question...did you guys report this to the techies or just posting that the sky is falling??
TBFGhost
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TBFGhost » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:45 am

How would I go about that? Does Synology Monitor the forums?

Ok, I sent them an e-mail.

Here is a photo of the folder on my Cloud Station.

Here is it on DS Cloud.

Same folder but looking at it from DS File....
hagenlehmann
Trainee
Trainee

Postby hagenlehmann » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:28 am

Dear everyone.

Again, I tested the Cloud Station process and found an indicator that it is not the client but the cloud station "server" on the disk station.

Here is the test procedure:
[list=]Create a new file in a folder, which is synchronized by cloud station.
Watch cloud station client's reaction: shows a bubble message that the file has been synchronized
Watch icon overlay: shows a blue tag, after the bubble message a green check mark
Watch disk station's behaviour: shows disk access sounds during synchronization
Check disk station's logs (windows file service protocol): nothing to see!
Check cloud station "server": found the concerning document in the history list (1 version)!
Check directory on disk station with file station: nothing to see!
Check recycle bin of concerned directory: nothing to see
Check directory on disk station with DS file app on iPad: nothing to see!
Check directory differences with a client synchronization tool (SyncBackSE): difference found concerning THIS file
Delete the new file again.
All symptoms above are just the same except the SyncBackSE step.[/list]

Used DSM version 5.0-4458 Update 1
Used Cloud Station "server" 3.0-3103
Used Cloud Station client for Windows 3.0-3103
Used client operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Used admin user with all privileges

I am definitely getting crazy. I am aiming towards a decision if Synology is the right choice for upgrading our small DS to a bigger one due to business expanding. It was planned to completely use the cloud functionality on all our mobile and desktop devices. Now, I have to proof the whole cloud concept, since THIS IS BY FAR not suitable for business reliability requirements!

Please remember the CalDAV issue with iOS 7. Catastrophy for all my business calendars! Synology, please check your quality gates and deployment criteria.

And yes, my skies are falling down.

Regards,
Hagen Lehmann
PetervdS
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby PetervdS » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:53 pm

At first i thought i was seeing things wrong, but i'm afraid i have to confirm your findings.

We encountered somewhat different problems:
viewtopic.php?f=194&t=83939

but after resetting all ACL's and switching to Windows ACL's we seem to get more success, until i found that documents and folders created on one client do not show up on the server. They however end up on other clients computers as if they should be on the disk station.

I even logged on using SSH and looked at the directory from the shell. Nothing! But they exist on the client who created the docs and folders and on the laptop of other users. Go figure.

I'm not doubting the capacities of Synology here, but i am however afraid they have some unfinished work here. And it makes me feel very uncomfortable to add new users to Cloud Station knowing it is not functioning 100%

Regards,

Peter
cjescudero
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby cjescudero » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:47 pm

Same problem at my work. It is a completely disaster. All the users are looking for another solution. They don't trust in Cloudstation anymore.
Sinohlogee
Versed
Versed

Postby Sinohlogee » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:46 pm

PLEASE GUYS FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Asboe
Sharp
Sharp

Postby Asboe » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 pm

hagenlehmann wrote:Used DSM version 5.0-4458 Update 1
Used Cloud Station "server" 3.0-3103
Used Cloud Station client for Windows 3.0-3103
Used client operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Used admin user with all privileges

I have exactly same setup.

Tried to see if I have any problem like Yours, But every things work normally.

H/V Asboe
DS-214+ (DSM 5.1-5022 Update 4) - 2x Seagate ST4000VN000
DS-209+II (4.2-3254) - 2x WDC WD20EADS 2TB
DS-107+(3.1-1639) - Samsung HD103SJ 1TB
DS-106 (2.0-0731) - WDC WD7500AAKS 750GB
DS-101j (2.0-0731) - Maxtor 6L300R0 300GB
adsodamelk
Beginner
Beginner

Postby adsodamelk » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:03 pm

PetervdS wrote:until i found that documents and folders created on one client do not show up on the server. They however end up on other clients computers as if they should be on the disk station.

I've exactly the same problem: new files created in a CloudStation client are syncing regularly wit other CloudStation client, BUT aren't visibile on the server, neither by AFP protocolo (Finder) neither by File Station...

CloudStation server version 3.0-3103 on DSM 5.0-4458 update 1
CloudStation client version (OSX): 3.0-3103

I hope they'll fix ASAP!!!
Satcha Kissoon
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Satcha Kissoon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:23 pm

I have had a ticket on this issue since March 24 and though Help Support is very responsive, there has been no solution to fix this. I have attempted a complete wipe of the affected folders and re-upload of the data, setting new users and permissions. No changes. still have the same green check mark declaring the Cloud Station up to date but data did not necessarily move from client to the NAS or vice versa. Initially I was also having the odd problem noted where files seemed to by-pass the NAS entirely and make it to another user's computer without ever showing up on the NAS!

it appears that the cloud station has some cache that it needs to write out to the NAS but its painfully slow? I dont know how it works but thats how it seems to me......

The bottom line is that these units arent free or cheap and its a widespread enough problem that it should not be ignored and swept under the rug. It is/was a great product and a fix i much needed without delay. At least an acknowledgement from Synology that there is even an issue would give me some comfort.
Al Jones
Novice
Novice

Postby Al Jones » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:30 pm

Latest update to cloudstation software on both the diskstation and client PC's still does not fix the problem. Some clients of mine which use the Cloud station service are still reporting folders and files not appearing on other devices.

I have tried de-linking and re-linking, uninstalling and re-installing client software to no avail. Synology you keep make strides backwards of late....sort it out or you will lose your reputation fast!

QNAP anybody?
ntomkin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ntomkin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:13 pm

Some of the stuff going on with the latest update is really amateur-level stuff. The Cloud Station client is a complete hunk of trash. Once you add folders you want to sync, you cannot go back and add more. You can only delete or modify the ones you added when you setup. So, how could Synology miss such an obvious necessary feature? Who knows, but I do know I started looking for alternatives today. The thing literally loses network connection all the time now. It's super annoying that we have this "file server" that no one can connect to. It should be noted that, of the 30 or so devices connected to the router, the NAS is the **only** device having problems. Disgraceful!
Sinohlogee
Versed
Versed

Postby Sinohlogee » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:25 pm

What are the best alternatives to a Synology out there (I primarily use mine for DSVideo + WDTVs, and for backup which is why the Cloudstation app would be fantastic if it worked NAS to NAS). What are the best products out there given my needs? TY.

Return to “Cloud Station”