Mac finder extremely slow when running Cloud Station

Discussion room for the Cloud Station clients for PC/Mac/Linux computers, designed to sync files between your different work-stations and your DiskStation
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
philbert1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Mac finder extremely slow when running Cloud Station

Postby philbert1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:00 am

Hi Gang -

Like many of you, I've been having a terrible time running the latest Cloud Station client software (3005) on all my Macs. And also like many of you I filed a ticket with Synology's tech support, but unfortunately they haven't been able to help. I was hoping that OS X 10.9.2 might fix the problem, but obviously it hasn't.

Anyway, I MAY have come up with a solution. This seems to work for me, but your milage may vary. Disclaimer: I've only tried this on a single Mac (my 2010 iMac running Mac OS X 10.9.2). So if you try this out and end up loosing data because of it, don't came cryin' to me.

1. Locate "Synology Cloud Station" in the Applications folder
2. Right-click the icon and do a "Show Package Contents"
3. Dig down to the folder "Contents/MacOS/iconoverlay"
4. Rename the file "runSynoSIMBLAgent" to "_runSynoSIMBLAgent" (you might be asked for your password -- I can't remember)
5. Reboot

Some background info: I first noticed the "sluggish Finder" problem a year ago when I first tried out Cloud Station. I was able to "fix" it back then by editing the two AppleScript files in the "iconoverlay" folder (I essentially nulled-out both of the .scpt files). Unfortunately that trick doesn't seem to work with v3005 of the client software. So I took a chance and tried renaming the file "runSynoSIMBLAgent".

My theory is renaming this file prevents "SynoMacIconOverlay.bundle" and/or "SynoSIMBL.osax" from loading. A .osax file is (I believe) used for AppleScript. So if one or both of these files is relying on AppleScript, then that's probably the issue. AppleScript is a single-threaded technology, and was never intended to be run in the world of multi-core CPUs. Given that these files are in an "iconoverlay" folder they're probably doing all the work of handing Finder icon overlays. Since I don't care about icon overlays, I shouldn't need this stuff running. And if it's not running, then maybe the Finder won't grind to a halt. Note that I also have the two AppleScript files nulled-out, but I don't think that particular mod is actually helping. I'm mentioning this fact in the event someone wants to try that as well.

Luckily the rename change seems to work for me. I personally haven't noticed any Finder slowdowns since I made this change, and I've been running like this for a week. I'm hoping that Cloud Station is still working properly. I still get OS X Notifications whenever a file changes, and I don't think I've lost any data (knock on wood). So I guess things are okay... Anyway, if you try this out, please post your results here. Good luck, I hope this helps, and of course caveat emptor.

philbert
pdalfarr
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby pdalfarr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:16 am

@Philibert

I just tested your suggestion and IT WORKS!

Disabling icon overlay in settings of CloudStation DOES NOT fix the problem.

Thanks a lot for your investigation Philibert!

Hope Synology will take that into account and, hopefully, fix the problem soon.

KR,

Pascal
Kevology
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Kevology » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:09 pm

OMG, FINALY! I was dealing this for 2 months until I couldn't take it anymore and decided to systematically shut down every process my computer was running until I pin-pointed what it was, sure enough the finder ran smooth after I killed the Syno CS. :twisted:

So, I google "Synology Cloud Station Finder Slow" and this is at the top of the list. I am so relieved to find this! I AM NOT ALOOOONE! :wink:

I hope Synology support is looking into this to fix it, seems there are a lot of people here complaining about it and probably a lot more who are experiencing it but don't even know what it is.

I too will try the fix by Philibert and report back.

I'm on a:
-2010 Mac pro - Mavericks 10.9.2
-PCIE SSD HD
-Plenty of Ram
-I have a Syno DS 212J running the latest OS
Kevology
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Kevology » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:18 pm

@Philibert

I COULD KISS YOU RIGHT ON THE MOUTH! (But I won't) :P

I'm sending huge karma points your way right now... It seems to be working. I'm not sure if this will have an effect on other things (I hope not) but now the nightmares and the twitching will stop and the sun will come out again.

Thank sir, Thank you.
zaporogues
Beginner
Beginner

Postby zaporogues » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Hello

the situation is really terrible, on both my Mac (both have SSD by the way...), the finder is hung for 5 seconds every 5 minutes or so.

But the solution is very easy for me : I clic on the Synology icon, and I pause it.

And then suddenly, no more hang, no more issue, the finder is smooth again !!!

Of course, not to forget to restart it again, if not any change is not synchronized :-)

(and I have also dropbox, and also Google docs. So the issue is *only* cloudstation client. BTW, it is not the first time ...
Raca
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Raca » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:24 pm

Thank you philbert1!! :)
I've applied your trick and no more freeze.
Let's hope it doesn't break anything it shouldn't...

Edit: Sync seems to be working fine so far.
heddal
Trainee
Trainee

Postby heddal » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:14 pm

Yes thank you Philbert. I also have verified that your trick is working fine on iMac and Macbook Pro retina with Maverick.. :D
pdalfarr
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby pdalfarr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:59 am

Hi,

I sent this message to Synology support:

"
Could you please investigate "Finder Icon Overlay" as explained here viewtopic.php?f=194&t=80301&p=307281#p307281

This could be the reason of the bug..."

And I just received this answer from Synology Support

"
Fortunately, according to our developers, this has been identified as a known issue. We are working hard to address this in a future release of Cloud Station.
Please kindly stay tuned for the update, and in the meantime, we apologize for any inconvenience caused.
"

So, hopefully, they should be able to provide a bug fix soon :D

Thanks a lot Philibert
Jochemh
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Jochemh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Philibert,

Thank you very much for the suggestion - that indeed solves the problem!
philbert1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby philbert1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:16 pm

I'm really glad to hear that my little hack is helping other people out :) And I think @pdalfarr has the right idea -- if the hack helps you, then email the Synology support staff and let them know as well.

- philbert
heddal
Trainee
Trainee

Postby heddal » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:54 pm

There is a new Cloud Station for Mac here: http://download.synology.com/download/T ... udStation/
I have tried it and it seems to work.
heddal
Trainee
Trainee

Postby heddal » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Sorry to say that my last post suggested http://download.synology.com/download/T ... udStation/. IT DID NOT WORK. After 3101 install 3005 was automatically installed and the known problem returned.
jorge_rui
Trainee
Trainee

Postby jorge_rui » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:37 pm

Nice, it worked. Great catch !

philbert1 wrote:Hi Gang -

1. Locate "Synology Cloud Station" in the Applications folder
2. Right-click the icon and do a "Show Package Contents"
3. Dig down to the folder "Contents/MacOS/iconoverlay"
4. Rename the file "runSynoSIMBLAgent" to "_runSynoSIMBLAgent" (you might be asked for your password -- I can't remember)
5. Reboot

philbert
Raca
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Raca » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:03 am

Version 3103 included with DSM 5.0 seems to have fixed the freeze.
Dowgold
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Dowgold » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:51 pm

Raca wrote:Version 3103 included with DSM 5.0 seems to have fixed the freeze.

I second that, it seem to have fix the problem AS WELL AS the constant disk access. FINALLY.....

Return to “Cloud Station Drive”