Problems with Plex on my DS116

Plex package allows users to manage and playback their media collections to local or remote desktop/mobile running Plex media client through Synology DiskStation
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
lillis
Trainee
Trainee

Problems with Plex on my DS116

Unread post by lillis » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:15 pm

I´m using Synology DS116 NAS and I have a problem to get Plex to play some of the movies I have.

With some files, aspecially the big ones, it either says "This server is not powerful enough to convert video." or it doesnt start at all. I have read that the NAS cant handle some specific file types, like .avi and oldes formats. But even when I try to play .mkv, and .mp4 its the same.

When a file is around 20-30 GB I usually use the settings to convert to 2-4 Mbps, but it still doesnt work. The trailer works perfects and starts within a seond.

This happens every once in a while and is very anoying. Is it something wrong with these files or is the NAS to weak and cant play it?

The movies is on a USB disc connected directly to the NAS so there is no Network limits there.

Using Synology D116J, DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 3 and Plex version 1.10.0.4523

Rusty1281
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Problems with Plex on my DS116

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:56 am

Trying to play them in a smaller bit rate kicks in transcoding on you nas as you plex server. That kills you cpu trying to deliver a smaller version of your media in real time but considering that your cpu is slow you get warnings or your media doesn’t play at all.

This is by design. Your nad will do just fine with large files as long as you Direct Play or Direct Stream them via Plex. Do NOT force transcode.

Any video/audio or subtitle (in some cases) manipulation can kick in transcode. Try to avoid it by using you plex client and requesting direct play.

Also, if your client can’t handle the format by default, Plex server will automatically transcode and you will have problems again.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

Return to “Plex”