Anyone get Live TV streaming to work well?

Plex package allows users to manage and playback their media collections to local or remote desktop/mobile running Plex media client through Synology DiskStation
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
Nrk7001
I'm New!
I'm New!

Anyone get Live TV streaming to work well?

Unread post by Nrk7001 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:56 am

I have a Synology 216+ Nash and an HD Homerun TV tuner. The TV tuner works on Plex beautifully on my windows machine, but when Plex Server installed on Synology, it lags and buffers a lot. I’m fairly sure the 216 is under powered, but before I got buy an upgraded Synology box....I want to see if anyone is running it without issue and what Synology box are they using? I just want Live TV and the channel guide to stream. I may want to record live T.V. videos.

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Re: Anyone get Live TV streaming to work well?

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:39 am

Works fine on 918+, no problem while streaming and recording at the same time. On top of that the box can transcode some local content as well thats being pushed to a separate device as well. Haven't noticed any problems at all
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

pwhooftman
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by pwhooftman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:31 pm

To add: do not install the plex version from the Synology Package Center (the 32-bit version will be installed), but download the app from the plex site.
DS918+ with 2x4Tb WD Red, Kopano VM, Domoticz

jseymour
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by jseymour » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:55 pm

We've a DS218+. A couple nights ago it was recording two TV shows and we were watching either live TV or something previously recorded, I recall not which, for sure. (Only difference is live would be writing a third stream in addition to sending it.)

We're using the Channels apps and DVR software, not SD's stuff. Tuner is a Connect Quatro.

One of these days I'll stress-test it: Set it up to record three HD channels simultaneously and watch a fourth with tuner sharing turned on. Then start firing up additional streaming devices to watch stuff. See what it takes to make something fall over :) (I suspect I'll probably start saturating my WiFi network before I run out of NAS bandwidth.)

I had planned on using a WD MyCloud NAS, which is a lot lower-powered than this DS218+, and one of the members over on SD's forums said he'd successfully streamed six streams on/off one of those successfully.

Even in HD it's generally only 10-15mb/s per stream.

Nrk7001
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Nrk7001 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:35 pm

Great feedback, I’ll install the one on the website and try that version tonight on the 216 before I contemplate a faster Synology NAS. Sounds like there may be a chance

Return to “Plex”