Trouble streaming AAC/m4a with PMS

Plex package allows users to manage and playback their media collections to local or remote desktop/mobile running Plex media client through Synology DiskStation
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
mlonnroth
I'm New!
I'm New!

Trouble streaming AAC/m4a with PMS

Unread post by mlonnroth » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:02 pm

I am running Plex Media Server 1.9.7.4460 on my Windows 10 desktop and it can stream AAC audio (m4a files) to Plex for iphone, Windows, and web clients perfectly. On my Synology NAS DS218J I am running Plex Media Server 1.13.2.5154 and it fails to stream AAC audio to any client. On Windows, I get the following error message: "Error SourceNotSupported: System.Exception; Exep_FromHResult 0xC00D001A". On iOS I get no error message - it just shows a busy cursor for a while then stops. In the web client I get a messaging indicating that the file doesn't exist, although the log indicates that it is serving up the files.

Streaming MP3 files works perfectly to all clients. Both servers also work fine remotely using port-forwarding in my home router. I do not have a connectivity issue - same problem running locally over wifi and remotely over GSM.

I realize the DS218J is a bit under-powered for running PMS, but I'm not streaming video and I'm not transcoding - just serving music files (mp3 and m4a) on a fast network.

Has anybody else seen this issue and do you have a work-around? Can anybody with a more powerful Synology NAS confirm if they have this working? I reckon it could be a memory issue in the DS218J which only appears to have 512 MB RAM. Maybe m4a processing is pushing it over the edge?

Many thanks in advance.

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Re: Trouble streaming AAC/m4a with PMS

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:12 pm

Have a few m4a files on my nas and streaming to my ios device works just fine, Latest version of PMS
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

Return to “Plex”