Problem with hardware encoding and sub-titles

Plex package allows users to manage and playback their media collections to local or remote desktop/mobile running Plex media client through Synology DiskStation
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
pdxfisher
I'm New!
I'm New!

Problem with hardware encoding and sub-titles

Unread post by pdxfisher » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:40 pm

I have Plex Pass running on my DS918+. It works fine except that I have a problem when I use hardware transcoding with movies that have subtitles. I add the subtitles to the MKV container with Handbrake when I create MKVs. If I use software encoding then everything is fine. The sub-titles end up way out of synch. I have observed this when playing on my Roku 4.

Does anyone else have issues with hardware transcoding and sub-titles? Not sure if it is a client or server issue.

telos
Skilled
Skilled

Re: Problem with hardware encoding and sub-titles

Unread post by telos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:22 pm

Have you posted in Plex forums? Subtitle sync has several threads some w/Roku.

Rusty1281
Proficient
Proficient

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Running it as well on my 918 and there are no problems with hw transcode or direct play streaming with subs. Playing it on iOS devices or Samsung TV plex clients.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

pdxfisher
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by pdxfisher » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Thanks folks1

Telos, this is an active topic in the Roku Plex forum but I thought I might get a different perspective here.

Rusty1281, I will try this on some other clients. I mostly watch Plex on Roku and XBOX 360 and I believe I see the issue on both. I get stuttering when using hardware encoding. The Roku Plex forum folks are blaming the NAS, but it sounds like your experience indicates the issue has to do more with the client. Just to double check, are you using PGS subtitles or SRT or something else?

If I learn anything useful I will share but I am not super hopeful that I can make this work on my Roku.

Rusty1281
Proficient
Proficient

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:42 pm

I use subs depending on the format. Sometimes the subs are part of the video file, sometimes are SRT (most of the time).
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

pdxfisher
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by pdxfisher » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Rusty1281, just to help me clarify this to make sure we are apples to apples.

Are you burning in the image subtitles when creating the files (for PGS types)? I do not burn in the PGS subtitles but keep them as an option to turn on or off. If they are burned in then the video will just Direct Play and hardware encoding does not come into use. Also, for SRTs I think the videos will Direct Play and hardware encoding does not be a factor.

Thanks in advance.

Rusty1281
Proficient
Proficient

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:51 pm

Same. External or non burned are the only options that I use. Are you sure that xbox plex client support direct play? Don't own one but I think I heared that when subs are part of the stream that transcode is a always kicking in.

What Plex server activity telling you when you start streaming and stuttering starts?

Return to “Plex”