My experience with synology NAS and PLEX

Plex package allows users to manage and playback their media collections to local or remote desktop/mobile running Plex media client through Synology DiskStation
Forum rules
Please note the Disclaimer before modifying your Synology Product.
plaxem10
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: My experience with synology NAS and PLEX

Postby plaxem10 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:51 pm

I bought a 916+ for use with Plex and everything was running ok for one stream of Blu-Ray until either the latest DSM update or the latest Plex update for DSM. Something broke and now my 916+ struggles to transcode DTS for my Apple TV.

If I were to get a cheap PC to use for transcoding, could I still keep my movie library stored on the Synology NAS?
jeffcdo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jeffcdo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm a fairly new DS916+ user and my experience with Plex has been somewhat frustrating. I could not agree more that transcoding is very dependent on the client you are using. I prefer to rip to mkv and do as little custom optimizing as possible. 1080p video performance is very inconsistent. I have two devices for the television, Apple TV 4 and the current NVIDIA Shield. Here are my current results for 1080p mkv playback:

Apple TV 4
Plex App - No
Infuse - Yes
DS Video - Yes

NVIDIA Shield
Plex App - Yes
Plex on Kodi - No
DS Video - Yes

iOS
Plex App - No
DS Video - Yes

Plex will work across the different clients if I individually optimize the videos. DS Video is consistent I assume because of it's support for hardware transcoding on the Synology, and Apple TV does not natively support mkv. That said, I'm not sure why Infuse is able to play the 1080p mkv files on Apple TV and Plex is not. It seems that if Infuse is able to handle the files, Plex should be able to also.

I would simply switch to DS Video but I like the interface of Plex better, it's support for richer metadata, and having my music library in the app along with my video library.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:14 pm

ATV will play mkv without any problems. mkv is only a container like mp4 for exp. The main thing here is the codec used for audio/video.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
arrush
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby arrush » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Just wanted to confirm something before I went down the Synology path. If I used the Synology as a storage device only and ran the actual plex server on a different computer (more powerful cpu like a xeon) which accessed the Synology for the data only I should have no issues with trans-coding?
sincarne
Distinguished
Distinguished

Postby sincarne » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:36 pm

arrush wrote:Just wanted to confirm something before I went down the Synology path. If I used the Synology as a storage device only and ran the actual plex server on a different computer (more powerful cpu like a xeon) which accessed the Synology for the data only I should have no issues with trans-coding?

Yes your computer do transcode not NAS. NAS store data. Nvidia Shield really cheap option for this
bgrngod
Trainee
Trainee

Postby bgrngod » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:33 pm

arrush wrote:Just wanted to confirm something before I went down the Synology path. If I used the Synology as a storage device only and ran the actual plex server on a different computer (more powerful cpu like a xeon) which accessed the Synology for the data only I should have no issues with trans-coding?

I'm not so sure about this, as it goes beyond my technical expertise with what I've been doing using Plex Media Server on my Synology NAS. But it does make me curious, why not just store that media on the more powerful rig? You might as well condense it down to just one box for PMS usage.

Also, "no issues with trans-coding" is a loaded question, even if your hardware is powerful enough to transcode on the fly. Transcoding seems to always have issues one way or another. My approach was to try and avoid it as much as possible by turning all my media into mkv(h264). Even then, I still tun into issues with PMS transcoding to some clients when subs are on. I am practically deaf, so I frequently want subs on when I can't listen through my headcans.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:36 pm

Well that will finally change with the new 1.9.3 plex server that got pushed out a few days ago. It supports CPU and GPU HW transcode so if you have the HW thats compatible it will be a lot less stress on your box when and if transcode is needed.

Combining PMS in one box might be a solutions for some, but then again some just can't have room to accommodate that kind of setup. Atm you can have your media on a the nas and still run pms of a NUC based device just for the horse power. In any case its possible to play with those setups in multiple ways and thats what I personally like about plex.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC

Return to “Plex”