Plex vs DS video computation intensity

Plex package allows users to manage and playback their media collections to local or remote desktop/mobile running Plex media client through Synology DiskStation
Forum rules
Please note the Disclaimer before modifying your Synology Product.
arennuit
I'm New!
I'm New!

Plex vs DS video computation intensity

Postby arennuit » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:22 am

Hi all,

I have a DS214+ which I use to broadcast movies / series to my TV (via an android box and wifi).

My initial thoughts were:
  • DS video is great but not as clean as Plex and does not support all video formats
  • Plex as it all

Now after using the 2 apps above, I noticed the following:
  • DS video is lightweight, and when the format is handled by the app, the streaming goes well
  • With Plex, it sometimes tells me that the hardware is not fast enough, or achieves a glitchy streaming

Does anyone know why Plex would require a faster CPU?
My DS214+ does not have hardware transcoding. Would that help Plex?

Thanks,

Antoine.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Re: Plex vs DS video computation intensity

Postby Rusty1281 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:53 am

There is a HW accelerated version of plex in Plex Pass version (paid) but not sure it works on all models (you need to have a look on plex forums). The reason why this is no stuttering when streaming via plex is because your content and your plex client are not compatible 100% and plex client is requesting your NAS to transcode the content and then stream it. Considering that your Plex server installation is not using any HW accelerated options, its taxing your CPU to do it and its killing your performance.

There are options to pass around this. 1st be sure to stream in quality that doesnt force transcoding (original quality and not lower then the file is made). Be sure that your client can read the type of file format you are streaming. For exp any HEVC 265 format will probably be transcoded unlike a 264 one. Also some plex clients on certain devices do not support certain container types (MKV for exp) and they might kick in with transcode as well. There is also a possibility that your wifi is to slow to push high bit rate files and you cloud fix that by trying to get the content to your TV box via ethernet. Lastly some people get poor performance when burning in subtitles as well.

It could be a combination of multiple things as well.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
arennuit
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby arennuit » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Wow this looks all very complex.

So can I state that DS video never transcodes which gives better performance but at the expense of a reduced set of file formats handled?

Now is there a best practice for my use case?
[*] I understand that I need to check my reding device's native coded possibilities
[*] But how can I know whether the plex version I use handles mkv's and other formats?
[*] Should I pre-transcode all my movies (not on the fly but as a preprocessing)? Maybe there is a pre-transcoding plugin that could help?

Thanks a lot ;)
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:10 pm

True that DS video will be better used on Syno nas then Plex (atm), also regarding your other questions you could solve this problem with preparing your files to a compatible format and container.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:40 pm

format support depend on TV/media box and not software
if format not support then plex (and ds video on stronger NAS) will transcode
alan sh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby alan sh » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:16 pm

I have a DS412+ and a 415j. My 412+ will transcode MKV's using DS Video but the CPU maxes out. My DS 416j will not do it at all. This is using the IOS DS video app. So I don't think it's the client.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Interesting. I have the same one and iOS plex clients do not transcode at all. At best they direct stream if needed. I do request original quality so thats one reason why there is no need for transcode as well.
mervincm
Versed
Versed

Postby mervincm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:49 pm

another variable is subtitles. transcoding will kick in if plex determines it needs to burn them into the video on the fly.
1815+ (factory patched board) 4GB 5x6TB WD RED
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:37 pm

That is true but I'm yet to have a sub kick in transcode after years of usage.

Return to “Plex”