WordPress Site Accessibility After DSM 6.0 Upgrade

Discussion room for Wordpress, a weblog based social networking community.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
xakaseanx
I'm New!
I'm New!

WordPress Site Accessibility After DSM 6.0 Upgrade

Postby xakaseanx » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:26 am

Hello! :D I have had my DS414slim for a few months now and am still learning a bit about it. I have been successfully hosting a web site on it for quite some time now. The domain, port-forwarding, etc. was all set up and working fine. The site is built with PHP and has a blog component which is handled with a manual installation of WordPress.

Tonight I upgraded to DSM 6.0-7321 and seem to have somehow lost the ability to access WordPress content from outside my network. When I attempt to access the blog portion of my site from outside my network, via my domain, I see a Synology error page that states "The service is disabled now." When I attempt to access the blog portion of my site from within my network, I am able to see some expected content (it is not totally functional due to resources failing to load via the domain name, but that is to be expected give my current issue). I am able to access the non-WordPress portion of my site from outside my network with no issue. This makes me think the issue is somehow related to either WordPress or MySQL; though, I am able to access my database via phpMyAdmin from within my network.

I have been trying to dig through directories and logs to see if I can find anything useful, and have been unable to so far. I have gone through all my settings and not found anything that looks strange. I have been searching online for anything that might help, but I have not really gotten anywhere. At this point I am out ideas and steam, so I am hoping that someone more experienced than I might know what the issue is, or might be able to point me in a useful direction, or perhaps someone else is experiencing a similar issue.

I look forward to any response, and thanks in advance for any help!
pbrigido
Novice
Novice

Re: WordPress Site Accessibility After DSM 6.0 Upgrade

Postby pbrigido » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:03 pm

I've found myself in the exact same scenario. In addition to WordPress, PhotoStation is no longer accessible and returns the "The service is disabled now" error on the screen. Even after a reinstall of the program the problem still persists.

I find it odd that when I use my internal Synology IP of 192.168.0.118/photo, it pulls up fine. Attempting to access it from outside such as www.mysite.com/photo is when the error crops up.

I'll update this thread if I find a fix...but hopefully someone will beat me to it. I've been looking for days now.

Thanks,

-Phil
xakaseanx
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby xakaseanx » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:40 am

I do not have much new information. I did notice that when I try to access the blog portion of my site from the internet (mysite.com/blog) and I see the Synology error message that states "The service is disabled now.", the title (name in the tab) of that page is "Synology Photo Station 6". I do not know if that is being pulled dynamically, or if it is just a constant thing. I had not checked PhotoStation at all last night, but it seems that I am also not able to log in to that with my mobile device via my domain name. :? I am able to log in with my mobile device using my DS414Slim's IP address.

If I find any useful information, or stumble upon a solution, I will be sure to update. Thanks!
pbrigido
Novice
Novice

Postby pbrigido » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:29 pm

I'm thinking this has to be related to the http Group. If it's pulling internally fine, but not through outside traffic, maybe the http group needs to be reset or changed somehow.

Again, accessing it internally via http://192.168.1.118/photo/ works perfectly, but not www.mysite.com/photo. That verifies that the message returned of "The service is disabled now" isn't exactly accurate. It just may be not getting out of to the web and returning that error message instead.

Just tossing that out there for anyone else who views this thread.

Thanks again!

-Phil
stephf0716
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby stephf0716 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:20 am

I'm having this same problem but instead, I get the "The service is disabled now." when trying to go to the MediaWiki hosted by my Synology. Anybody run into this problem and figure out what's the cause yet?
pbrigido
Novice
Novice

Postby pbrigido » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:10 pm

I'm guessing this has something to do with any Synology service that comes in through port 80. Even though port 80 is open, it can't find the app to open, even though the service is installed and running. Just to add this as well, in Photo Station, the ability exists to specify an alternative port, which I have choosen 8001, for Photo Station to work on. The result is the same, still getting the "The service is disabled now" message.

I'm still leaning towards the http user being disabled. I found telnet line to run to see if it could start that group, but it didn't work quite yet. I'll give it another shot.

...still looking for a solution.

-Phil
pbrigido
Novice
Novice

Postby pbrigido » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:45 pm

Here's an interesting finding. I can't say for sure if this is a step in the right direction, or just something I overlook and never tested.

I figured it had been a while since I upgraded my Java 7, and did a new install of Java 8. After doing both (java 7 being on v79 and 8 being on v77), I went to my homepage via the IP address /photo (ie 111.222.123.321/photo) and it worked! After being surprised to see the result, I went to the /blog, /webalizer, and /mail ...all of which are now working again. So, I went back and tried http://www.myddns.com/photo, and the same "The service is disabled now."

Personally I can't see why the IP address works, but the DDNS name doesn't. I know the DDNS is working properly because it's an official Synology banner at the top of the "The service is disabled now." error screen...so traffic is getting to the correct destination. However, I can't say for sure why one works, and the other doesn't.

I'll be curious to see if anyone else can reproduce this process and what their results are.

-Phil
xakaseanx
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby xakaseanx » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:46 pm

pbrigido wrote:Personally I can't see why the IP address works, but the DDNS name doesn't.

I think you basically described my situation, especially considering everything was fine prior to updating. I took a look at the http user last night, and did not see anything strange. Also, I set up Apache logging last night. From the logs, I did not find anything telling, except that my request to http://www.mysite.com/blog is not being routed to where it should be. I really have not made much progress in tracking the issue down. I am planning to try to set up another manual install of WordPress this weekend and see if I can get that working. I feel like /blog is being caught by something prior to reaching the appropriate directory based on my virtual host setup. I just do not know enough about Synology, and do not have a lot of time to track it down. I will update again after I am able to test out some things.
xakaseanx
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby xakaseanx » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:46 am

I have some news. So I uninstalled a lot of things (Photo Station, Web Station, PHP, phpMyAdmin, MailStation... probably some more that I forgot). I re-installed Web Station and all requirements. That did not really change anything, except when going to mysite.com/blog I got a 404 instead of the Photo Station "service is disabled" page.

I then changed the settings in Web Station to use Nginx instead of Apache, and I also did the same for my virtual hosts. Now, I am able to see my blog; more specifically I can see index.php. When trying to get to any other part of WordPress, for example: to log in to the admin panel or view posts by category, I get a 404.

I re-installed Photo Station, but have had no luck in getting it to work outside of my intranet. I will update again when I have more information. Thanks!
xakaseanx
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby xakaseanx » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:40 am

So I have done a fresh, manual WordPress install into a test directory (mysite.com/test), and I have migrated over some of my data to a new database. Everything there seems to be working OK for the most part. Typical minor issues with permissions and what not since it is a manual install. Once I get that squared away, I plan to backup my original blog directory and see if I can somehow get this test blog moved to the blog directory.

I still have no clue as to how/why the update screwed up my working WordPress install. Also, still no progress with Photo Station.
glv0601
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby glv0601 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:55 pm

Same here I was preparing a new website and was going to launch but after a restart of the synologty I can see the main page but all the clicks give a 404 error.
I reinstalled MariaDB, restarted wordpress but still the same. Changed from Apache to xnginx and back but still nothing. Since I'm new to the hosting and wordpress on my synology I'm running out of things I could use some advice. DSM 6.0-7321

Any advice welcome.
glv0601
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby glv0601 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:43 am

Wordpress site on Synology.....It's back online after the upgrade to DSM 6 broke it.

I still don't have a clue why but my solution was restoring the web folder.
pbrigido
Novice
Novice

Postby pbrigido » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:31 pm

I'm striking out with finding a solution.

I've uninstalled anything to do with PHP (WebStation, PhotoStation, etc) incliuding PHP itself. I then reinstalled PHP, then Photo Station, and it worked for less than a minute through http://www.mysite.com/photo. So I installed WebStation again, and right after, it broke and went back to the "Service is Disabled" message again.

During the process, I completely deleted the Web folder that WebStation uses, and recreated it from scratch. Unforauntely that didn't resolve it. Currently the only way I'm able to get to a Port 80 program is by going to http://www.mysite.com:5000/mail. Ideally it should work as http://www.mysite.com/mail, but that's broken for some reason. Also, since PhotoStation can't specify a port to work on any longer, that service is broke as well.

I'm thinking it's something to do with PHP...but there isn't a way to access it to see for sure, is there?

If I had a spare 20TB storage laying around, I would be starting the whole setup from scratch. :(
cravaus
Novice
Novice

Postby cravaus » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:44 pm

My solution to the 404 error.

I do not know why this works given that Nginx is running. I made a new .htaccess file by going to Settings -> Permalinks and saving the settings and put it into my wordpress root. All my pages work now.

I still cannot update my plugins or Wordpress but I can navigate to my pages.

In Webstation we can select Nginx or Apache for the backend server. I have set them to either one and I get the same results, I cannot update and the .htacess file works.
pbrigido
Novice
Novice

Postby pbrigido » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:51 pm

Here's a direct link to my personal site to show the issue for anyone who is curious:

http://www.brigido.us/photo/ Doesn't Work

http://173.88.216.74/photo/ Works

-Phil

Return to “Wordpress”