hybrid question external access/multisite

Discussion room for Wordpress, a weblog based social networking community.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
Joey024
I'm New!
I'm New!

hybrid question external access/multisite

Unread post by Joey024 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:47 pm

I'm working with DS218+/DSM6.2/Wordpres4.9.7... To cut to chase, I can access a "base" installation of wordpress internally and externally (192.168.165.55, CNAME domain -->example.synology.me). I break it after changing to Wordpress 'multisite', specifically after it loads the added 'define' statements in wp-config.php

define('MULTISITE', true);
define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false);
define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', '192.168.155.65');
define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/wordpress/');
define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M'); !non default

Specific to the above configuration, I've changed the Domain and Path 'CURRENT' parameters a lot... Only two fields, but lots of variance if syntax is questioned. As it is above, I find it odd that using my phone browser (sourcing from cellular/external), attempting connection to 'https://www.example.com' receives an updated URL of 'https://192.168.155.65/wordpress/'. If I change to define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'example.synology.me'); , I get a 'Error establishing a database connection' returned to my browser. I remind myself that IT DID work with base installation. Multisite is the change that breaks it... And it seems to be path related.

I'm not providing the test results as they apply to local administration of the site, but changes do impact local access. In fact, removing the appended slash at the end of '/wordpress/' will break navigation... But only navigation that is "more deeply nested (i.e. my sites->network admin-->settings). However, note that removing the slash will not break navigation to 'my sites-->network admin'.

It's kind of like a torturous puzzle. I'm a network guy by trade... and thought I knew a little bit... and am being 100% slapped around by this application. phpMYADMIN has defintely had its way with me (it has basically refined my ability to ininstall/reninstall Wordpress, and become fast at it!), and I'm out of ideas...

Considering how easy it was to setup Wordpress on Synology, if I can't reach out for an answer on this multisite configuratio, I may go a different route of attempting to run multiple wordpress instances (I think instances is the right word?). I thought multiple sites (versus one site)would work best, giving my kids some independence with their creativity when blogging... I thought one running application of wordpress made sense from an administration/resource perspective. I could be too traditional in my thinking... Anyway... Any ideas/thoughts/direction is appreciated.

Also, let me know if I can provide any additional technical info of value. Since I can't find the answer to this, I may be way off course/misleading by only providing the wp-admin.php info. This may not be the problem.

Thanks in advance
Jared

Return to “Wordpress”