SynoCommunity is glad to announce its new repo

The discussion lounge for third-party packages.
Forum rules
Please note the Disclaimer before modifying your Synology Product.
djhifi
Trainee
Trainee

Re: SynoCommunity is glad to announce its new repo

Postby djhifi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:41 am

sincarne wrote:
aBjelke wrote:I'm having the same issues on my new DS718+ (!)
Cannot find all SynoCommunity packages in the Community section in the package center. On my DS215+ I'm running Deluge and Python from SynoCom, so where are they on my brand new NAS??
And, I'm really eager to see Deluge v2.0 on the NAS!

you have intel NAS use docker. synocommunity way of past

"way of past" what do you mean?
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:38 pm

djhifi wrote:
sincarne wrote:
aBjelke wrote:I'm having the same issues on my new DS718+ (!)
Cannot find all SynoCommunity packages in the Community section in the package center. On my DS215+ I'm running Deluge and Python from SynoCom, so where are they on my brand new NAS??
And, I'm really eager to see Deluge v2.0 on the NAS!

you have intel NAS use docker. synocommunity way of past

"way of past" what do you mean?

it out of date. docker much better.
djhifi
Trainee
Trainee

Postby djhifi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 am

And where can we see which packages are available for docker?

For example is Deluge 2.0 available in Docker for synology? I dont think so...
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:46 am

djhifi wrote:And where can we see which packages are available for docker?

https://hub.docker.com/
See if any have beta track instead of stable

"Docker for Synology" not exist. Docker alway Docker. That one of many reason why it better than using old package system. Synology use Docker for some application that you install in Package Center so they think it useful too.
Ben Diss
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ben Diss » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:04 pm

djhifi wrote:And where can we see which packages are available for docker?

There is one I can find, but it's Deluge 1 (linuxserver/deluge) and the libraries are way out of date. I prefer packages when they're available, but some installs just make more sense running in docker such as FreePBX and Splunk.
djhifi
Trainee
Trainee

Postby djhifi » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Yeah I will just wait for the packages. I dont think Docker is more ahead than packages.
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:11 am

djhifi wrote:Yeah I will just wait for the packages. I dont think Docker is more ahead than packages.

This not matter of think. This matter of fact. Docker repos get update faster since Docker more widely use than Synology. Synology package only work on Synology. Why put limit on yourself because you not bother to learn modern technology?
djhifi
Trainee
Trainee

Postby djhifi » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:35 pm

learn modern technology? Mate I only use synology so why would I need docker? All the apps I use on Synology get update faster via packages. EMBY, DELUGE, etc. I dont see better versions on Docker.
If I am wrong, rather than saying i am limiting myself, why dont u link me to a tutorial and/or updated packages in Docker?
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:25 am

djhifi wrote:learn modern technology? Mate I only use synology so why would I need docker? All the apps I use on Synology get update faster via packages. EMBY, DELUGE, etc. I dont see better versions on Docker.
If I am wrong, rather than saying i am limiting myself, why dont u link me to a tutorial and/or updated packages in Docker?

emby have official docker repo with 1 million download and have multiple branch - https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver/
they not have official package on synology :roll:
you need add repo from emby, then allow 3rd party application, then hope it not break after DSM update. they update slower because not many user have synology as docker so developer update synology later.
deluge have latest stable version on docker and since it popular it get update faster than wait for synocommunity to update

docker not have better version. it have more stable version. it same application but you get linux version instead of version that someone have to make specifically for Synology. you get update from bigger community rather than wait and you get version that not install extra file on your NAS, it not need JAVA, python, or other bloat dependency you need install like with package, it not break with DSM update, it not mess with user permission or DSM setting. 3rd party package are nightmare when break on Synology and need terminal fix many time. Not happen on Docker. Long term it much better. you new to synology? you not have deal with major issue before with package? docker make so many issue thing of past that it worth learn slight different install method.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:11 am

I would agree with sincare to a degree on Docker front. Personally I use docker images for apps/services that are not native to Syno (per say native) but there are some (non Syno apps) that I run via package center. Considering I have used NAS before docker was introduced there was no need to switch that app to docker. Haven't had any problem at any point with any app installed outside docker.

That being said I do agree that maintenance, dependency and everything else is sometimes easier, faster and more convenient in docker world but there is no reason to use both methods and see what someone likes better.

Docker usage on Syno is not complicated but still someone might find it a bit much if you can just click one button in package center and have things going.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
Ben Diss
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ben Diss » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:28 pm

My Docker learning curve was pretty steep. Now that I understand Docker and how Syno does Docker a bit different I've even cobbled together a few of my own. I prefer official Syno packages, but if they go bump I go right to Docker. When I was having problems with Syno's DNS package, I spun up a BIND9 Docker image and kept on going. Still prefer packages, but only when they work well (not all do).

Return to “Third-party Packages”