Crashplan For Home no more - Aug. 22, 2017

The discussion lounge for third-party packages.
Forum rules
Please note the Disclaimer before modifying your Synology Product.
johninminnesota
I'm New!
I'm New!

Crashplan For Home no more - Aug. 22, 2017

Postby johninminnesota » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:49 pm

Below is an email from Crashplan outlining their exit from the home user backup market.

Given this news, and the cost for backing up 7TB of data using alternative methods, does it make more sense cost wise to co-locate a twin NAS offsite and sync or backup to it?

------- email from crashplan aug. 22 2017 -------- ----------- ----------

CRASHPLAN - For Home
CrashPlan® for Home
Transition Information
Here's what you need to know
Hello,

As a recent former customer of the CrashPlan® for Home data backup solution, we want to provide you with some important information about the product.

Code42 has made a decision to shift our business strategy to focus on the enterprise and small business markets. Over the next 14 months, we will be exiting the consumer market and CrashPlan for Home will no longer be available or supported.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO YOU
Even though you’re no longer a CrashPlan for Home customer, we still recommend that your data is protected. We have included you in the following special offers.

YOUR CHOICES
Option 1
CRASHPLAN - For Small Business

Migrate to CrashPlan for Small Business in a Matter of Minutes

If you're a small business, freelancer or just getting your side hustle on, quickly move your data* into CrashPlan for Small Business and enjoy 75% off the regular price for the next 12 consecutive months. Get unlimited backup at an affordable monthly price and access our intuitive administration console for managing multiple users.
CLICK TO GET CRASHPLAN FOR SMALL BUSINESS
Option 2
Carbonite

If You're Backing Up Home Computers, Easily Start Up With Carbonite

We’ve selected Carbonite as our exclusive partner for home users. Like CrashPlan, Carbonite provides automatic and continuous backup for all of your important files. Carbonite is also recognized for its complimentary award-winning customer support. Carbonite is offering a 50% discount on their Home and Core plans, exclusively for CrashPlan for Home users. The Carbonite and CrashPlan for Home support teams are aligned to make your transition to Carbonite quick and easy.
GET CARBONITE WITH EXCLUSIVE OFFER!
If you have any additional questions, please refer to our Consumer Information Page. And thank you, again, for being a CrashPlan for Home customer.

Sincerely,
Joe Payne, President and CEO of Code42

*If you’re currently using CrashPlan for Home to back up to another computer, your computer-to-computer backup will be deleted once you convert. You’ll need to take action to preserve your archives prior to converting to CrashPlan for Small Business. You can migrate your cloud backups up to 5TB per device. If it has been more than 30 days since your CrashPlan for Home expiration, you can migrate your devices and restart a new archive. Customers less than 30 days lapsed can migrate both devices and any stored archives. Some restrictions apply. Click here to learn more.
CRASHPLAN - For Home

This is a message from CrashPlan, a division of Code42.
100 Washington Avenue South, Suite 2000, Minneapolis, MN 55401 USA
© 2017 Code42 Software, Inc. All rights reserved.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please unsubscribe.
imahawki
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Crashplan For Home no more - Aug. 22, 2017

Postby imahawki » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:18 pm

I got this email today too. I also have 5-7TB to back up. I called Carbonite and they don't offer a consumer version that supports a NAS backup so you'd be stuck paying enterprise prices not affordable to a consumer (pricing starts at 250GB so you can imagine how much 7TB would cost).

I hope I figure something out. It's honestly really stressing me out right now. Plus I'm already going to crush my data cap by starting a fresh backup even if I do find an alternative to Crashplan. Obviously they're entitled to drop out of a market segment but it really irks me and I certainly won't recommend them to anyone ever.
bd6675
Trainee
Trainee

Postby bd6675 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:42 pm

I also received this email. I have about 12 TB that I currently back up. Perhaps I am missing something regarding the pricing model, but why not migrate to CrashPlan For Small Business (formerly CrashPlan Pro)? Isn't that $10 per month - per device for unlimited data? I do see that if you have more than 5 TB of data, you have to start a new backup of all of your data when migrating (admittedly a hassle). I am sure I am missing something but would love to hear what others have to say about this (or about alternatives in case CrashPlan For Small Business isn't an option).

BD6675
scpotter
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby scpotter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:35 pm

It's a no brainer for me, I'm going to backup to an offsite NAS.

For background, I've had lots of struggles with upgrades and am coming off the end of a multi-year plan soon anyway. While on the plan I had to upgrade to get more RAM for crashplan, and still have it sitting around, which will make a great offsite backup target with a few disks in it.
synology.user
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby synology.user » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:40 pm

Am I missing something? The bits for Small Business will not work on the Synology server?
bd6675
Trainee
Trainee

Postby bd6675 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:39 pm

Doesn't Patters have a CrashPlan Pro app on his repo?
nizmoz
Trainee
Trainee

CrashPlan ending personal account storage

Postby nizmoz » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:07 pm

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/22/1618 ... tting-down

Sad to see this everyone but CrashPlan is ending personal consumer accounts and will stay with business. Details in the link. Now I have to find a new one for my synology. :(
imahawki
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby imahawki » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:08 pm

I back up my NAS through a Mac I use as a server, I don't know if there is a Crashplan app for Synology and if there is I've never used it. I probably could migrate to the small business and just backup everything else to the NAS. I actually did think about buying a second NAS but I have no other place with fast internet to put it. Even if I had a friends place or something I feel like I'd be negatively impacting their data cap. My parents house is in rural Iowa on 1 meg DSL.

I'm not sure if you have more than 5TB if they just won't migrate anything or if they'll only migrate 5TB (like the most recent 5TB? not sure how they'd do that).

EDIT: Saw on reddit that if you are over 5TB they delete your backup when you migrate and force you to start over. I'm sure your ISP will be fine with you uploading 7-12TB from scratch. What an [Please control your language] move.
nizmoz
Trainee
Trainee

Postby nizmoz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:38 am

So, can I use my current synology software running on the NAS to backup to CrashPlan for business instead?
jason74
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jason74 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:30 am

After many years of struggling with crashplan as my public cloud back for my NAS, this has finally given me the push to ditch them. Had enough of the updates and constant need to update the headless setup. Now on the prowl for something a bit more user friendly towards Synology NAS

Good bye crashplan.......
crótach
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby crótach » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:17 am

I also think this is a good opportunity to migrate to something that actually has Synology support and not a package developed by a kind-hearted individual who has no profit from it, which fails regularly when Code42 decide to push an update, and that requires regular fiddling around with manual fixes.

Is there any officially supported Synology cloud backup that works at around $10 a month? I'd rather give my money to someone who offers support.

Last time I had to deal with Crashplan support they were so useless they didn't even figure out my subscription expired and my credit card was no longer valid. It also didn't mention anything in the logs, just said starting backup and finished without doing anything. When I finally figured out what the problem was, I informed their support and they said "ah, great idea, we could put that in the log file, we'll tell our developers". I'm sure it's still the same :)
iknowtech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby iknowtech » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:21 am

nizmoz wrote:So, can I use my current synology software running on the NAS to backup to CrashPlan for business instead?

I'm going to guess you'll just need to install the CrashPlan Pro App instead. Which should also be doable, either from Patters package or in a Docker Container manually installed.

Then you should be able resume/take over your existing backup without having to start over from scratch. For the first year of the Crash for Small Business your cost will actually go down, then after the first year the price doubles, but even at $120/yr. for unlimited backup of more than 2TB you're not going to beat that anywhere else.
iknowtech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby iknowtech » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:23 am

crótach wrote:I also think this is a good opportunity to migrate to something that actually has Synology support and not a package developed by a kind-hearted individual who has no profit from it, which fails regularly when Code42 decide to push an update, and that requires regular fiddling around with manual fixes.

Is there any officially supported Synology cloud backup that works at around $10 a month? I'd rather give my money to someone who offers support.

Last time I had to deal with Crashplan support they were so useless they didn't even figure out my subscription expired and my credit card was no longer valid. It also didn't mention anything in the logs, just said starting backup and finished without doing anything. When I finally figured out what the problem was, I informed their support and they said "ah, great idea, we could put that in the log file, we'll tell our developers". I'm sure it's still the same :)

If you have less than 2TB of Data you should be able to find a workable solution for $10/month or less, Backblaze being one of them.

If you have more than 2TB I'm not aware of any services that you can get for $10 or less.
Ole
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ole » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:26 pm

I have used CrashPlan for several years now and have been fearing this moment I knew would come. I believe no cloud backup service provider can offer unlimited storage indefinetely and CP is the first proof of that. I will never trust *any* cloud backup service again and will now setup my private off-site Synology Cloud server. The initial cost is higher but I have full control and can share the cost with friends and family.
crótach
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby crótach » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:42 am

Is anyone using Backblaze already? I've read on the product improvement forum that it generates a lot of paid API calls which end up costing a lot.

I'll admit, I have no idea what that means, I thought Backblaze was a flat-rate service for $5 a month. If somehow a poor implementation can end up costing me hundreds of $$$ per month then it's not a good solution.

I'd even say anything that's not flat-rate is not a good service for a regular joe like me :)

Return to “Third-party Packages”