Getting Crashplan to work after failed upgrade to CP v4.8

The discussion lounge for third-party packages.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

Getting Crashplan to work after failed upgrade to CP v4.8

Postby Knightnet » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:21 am

PC Load Letter's package for installing Crashplan has long been a staple for Synology users needing low-cost, high-volume backups. Annoyingly, CrashPlan have not really done much over the years to improve their Java-based backup application and this year they really messed things up for a lot of people since it now only works on Intel based devices (not ARM) - so much for Java being cross-platform!!

When v4.8 of the CrashPlan client was released, a lot of people found that the auto-upgrade broke their installations. If you look on the blog post at, you will find a lot of people struggling to make it work again. I was one of those people. Thankfully plenty of people have posted ideas for fixes and I'm not sure there is a single fix that works for everyone but I thought it would be useful to post my fix. I've tried to do this on the blog site but I think Patters is busy on other projects so posts aren't being approved.

So, for what it is worth, here are my notes on how I got it to work again without having to destroy my settings. This meant I could just restart the existing backups.

In "/volume1/@appstore/CrashPlan" which is also "/var/packages/CrashPlan/target"
  • Manually unpacked "upgrade.cpi" which is actually a gzip containing a file "upgrade.cpi"!
  • Unpacked the inner upgrade.cpi file on Windows and copied back all folders except "conf" and "log"
  • Also "sudo cp /var/packages/CrashPlan/target/bin/cpio /bin/cpio"
  • Also installed Syno version of Java 8 - use that when installing new versions of the CP package

Finally, here are the settings I changed:

Code: Select all

Here I changed the 2 MAX entries to give more memory to CrashPlan. Note that I have upgraded my 412+ with additional RAM.

Code: Select all

Here I just changed JAVACOMMON to point to the Synology Java package which is much easier to keep up to date.
412+ with 2x3TB drives, RAID 1, Crashplan Backup

Return to “Third-party Packages”