Getting Crashplan to work after failed upgrade to CP v4.8

The discussion lounge for third-party packages.
Forum rules
Please note the Disclaimer before modifying your Synology Product.
Knightnet
Novice
Novice

Getting Crashplan to work after failed upgrade to CP v4.8

Postby Knightnet » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:21 am

PC Load Letter's package for installing Crashplan has long been a staple for Synology users needing low-cost, high-volume backups. Annoyingly, CrashPlan have not really done much over the years to improve their Java-based backup application and this year they really messed things up for a lot of people since it now only works on Intel based devices (not ARM) - so much for Java being cross-platform!!

When v4.8 of the CrashPlan client was released, a lot of people found that the auto-upgrade broke their installations. If you look on the blog post at https://pcloadletter.co.uk/2012/01/30/crashplan-syno-package/comment-page-48/#comment-150203, you will find a lot of people struggling to make it work again. I was one of those people. Thankfully plenty of people have posted ideas for fixes and I'm not sure there is a single fix that works for everyone but I thought it would be useful to post my fix. I've tried to do this on the blog site but I think Patters is busy on other projects so posts aren't being approved.

So, for what it is worth, here are my notes on how I got it to work again without having to destroy my settings. This meant I could just restart the existing backups.

In "/volume1/@appstore/CrashPlan" which is also "/var/packages/CrashPlan/target"
  • Manually unpacked "upgrade.cpi" which is actually a gzip containing a file "upgrade.cpi"!
  • Unpacked the inner upgrade.cpi file on Windows and copied back all folders except "conf" and "log"
  • Also "sudo cp /var/packages/CrashPlan/target/bin/cpio /bin/cpio"
  • Also installed Syno version of Java 8 - use that when installing new versions of the CP package

Finally, here are the settings I changed:

/volume1/@appstore/CrashPlan/syno_package.vars

Code: Select all

MANIFEST_PATH_SET=True
USR_MAX_HEAP=1800M
USR_MAX_HELP

Here I changed the 2 MAX entries to give more memory to CrashPlan. Note that I have upgraded my 412+ with additional RAM.

/volume1/@appstore/CrashPlan/install.vars

Code: Select all

TARGETDIR=/volume1/@appstore/CrashPlan
BINSDIR=/bin
MANIFESTDIR=/volume1/crashplan/backupArchives
INSTALLDATE=20170412
JAVACOMMON=/volume1/@appstore/Java8/j2sdk-image/jre/bin/java
APP_BASENAME=CrashPlan
DIR_BASENAME=crashplan
JRE_X64_DOWNLOAD_URL=http://download.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-linux-x64-1.8.0_72.tgz
JRE_I586_DOWNLOAD_URL=http://download.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-linux-i586-1.8.0_72.tgz
TARGETDIR=/volume1/@appstore/CrashPlan

Here I just changed JAVACOMMON to point to the Synology Java package which is much easier to keep up to date.
Julian
412+ with 2x3TB drives, RAID 1, Crashplan Backup

Return to “Third-party Packages”