Synology Assistant can't find diskstation

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
shcsbaker
Trainee
Trainee

Synology Assistant can't find diskstation

Unread post by shcsbaker » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:02 am

Not sure what happened, but now Synology Assistant can't find my diskstation. I can use the ip address 192.168.1.7 and gain access, I can use Synology Web Assistant (find.synology.com) and gain access. I've re-installed Synology Assistant, I've rebooted the diskstation, but nothing works.

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
Kevin

ThomasB
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Synology Assistant can't find diskstation

Unread post by ThomasB » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:33 am

Same here my friend,

I reset the DS via the reset-pinhole in the back, tried changing my computer from running the 192.168.1.1. subnet to 192.168.0.1 to no avail, I just can't find it.

I'd hate to have to ping every address up to 50 or more, can anyone help, or does anyone know of a pink-tool to script that will ping one-for-one every least two segments until it finds .... something.

What default IP will the DS get, after reset?

I'm in Mac OS X Mavericks, so some sort of Unix tool probably could be created or exist - just not the big Unix-coder :)

Cheers,
Thomas

PS: I'll share if I find a solution, please do the same if you do :)
=> NAS: Synology DS415play
=> NAS: Synology DS213+
=> Router = Linksys WRT1900AC on 100/100 fiber.

=> Was managing a large Windows & AIX network, but went self-employed. I'm setting up Synology NAS's + Surveillance Station solutions big time, since a wave of home invasions and robberies have swept my country. Plus designing sites with either a CMS (Expression Engine) for companies. Or fully managed (Rapid Weaver) by me or the client - or family members - hard to say no, right :)

jonjp
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jonjp » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:54 pm

I just had what seems like a similar problem and I downloaded the "Synology Assistant" from here https://www.synology.com/en-global/supp ... oad/DS414j, ran it and it found my drive (at 10.1.1.18). Hope this works for you!

Cheers…Jon

(Mac, Yosemite 10.10.2; DS414j)

shcsbaker
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by shcsbaker » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:20 pm

John -

No luck. What's strange is I can start a Windows 7 VirtualBox machine, and run Synology Assist on the virutal machine and it finds it.

cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by cfuttrup » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:34 pm

shcsbaker wrote:John -

No luck. What's strange is I can start a Windows 7 VirtualBox machine, and run Synology Assist on the virutal machine and it finds it.
It gives the clue that the (solution to the) problem is with your Windows setup ...

/Claus

maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Unread post by maxxfi » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:40 pm

shcsbaker wrote:John -

Do you have a firewall with some tight settings on your main computer? Synology assistant uses some uncommon ports to probe for existing NAS in your network, and a strict firewall might block that communication.
No longer using Synology NAS, moved to more open source solutions.
DS-106j > DS-210j > DS-411

SanjS
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by SanjS » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:07 pm

I just loaded the new Windows security patch on all of my PC's and none of them can find diskstation in the folders. I've tried re-booting, turning off firewalls, and simple network discovery but nothing yet.

eckman74
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by eckman74 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:29 am

This same thing happened to me. My computers were mapped to the DS just fine on my home network. Then I switched from AT&T to TWC for Internet (and thus, my network changed). Now, I can't map to the DS. I can see the DS using find.synology.com and QuickConnect, but I can't map to the drive in Windows and Synology Assistant also can't find the DS. This is so frustrating.

I've tried everything - resetting, different computers, even had a DS expert come to the house. Nobody can explain what is going on...

jpnnnn
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jpnnnn » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:34 pm

Same thing happens to me occasionally. Disk station is not found on network...Synology Assistant won't find disk station even when directly connected via ethernet cable. Network reset does nothing. What works for me is to switch out the ethernet ("patch") cable with another one. Once I have reconnected I can reuse the old cable again. I don't understand why, but that does the trick for me. Simply disconnecting and reconnecting is not enough.

TheFriendlyCoach
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by TheFriendlyCoach » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:58 pm

I have just installed a new router in my network and thus I had to move DiskStation from the existing ISP-router to the new router, thus giving it a new IP address.

Everything works: external access with port forwarding through both routers, internal web management access (192.168.x.x), internal FTP access, Cloud Station running, Audio station running internally as well as externally.

But for some reason Synology Assistant can't find DS. I need it in order to map a network drive. I have reinstalled Synology Assistant and rebooted DS, both routers and my PC.

:?
One's mind, once stretched, never regains its original dimension / DS916+ 2x3TB WD red Raid 1 / DS216j 4TB WD red - remote backup

bogger
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by bogger » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:19 pm

Well I had the same kind of problem:

After changing my ADSL modem & WiFi router combo to new combined modem router, I was not able to discover my DS212 NAS.

There were two problem areas:

1. DS212 was not discovered by the new router.

My NAS was set to static LAN IP address 192.168.2.xxx that was out of range for the new router. It turned out, that its LAN IP address pool was limited to 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254. So my NAS status address was out of possible range and NAS was not discovered at all.

At this point I still tried to avoid re-addressing the NAS, since I felt keeping the old (static) address would easily enable the access (from LAN) to NAS by various remote clients that I had already earlier configured.

So I first created a new subnet with IP LAN address range from 192.168.2.1 onwards.

=> At this point new router discovered NAS as "unknown". Yes! I was able to log in to NAS DSM account with its old static LAN IP 192.168.2.xxx.

I took now the opportunity to change initial plans and set NAS to get new LAN IP assigned by the DHCP server (i.e. by the new router). After this, NAS LAN IP address was 192.168.2.xxx. i.e. within LAN IP range 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 of the new router.

Subsequently, I was able to remove router's now unnecessary subnet for the "legacy" 192.168.2.x LAN IP address range.

2. Although NAS was now visible to my router with proper LAN IP, I still was not able to find it with Synology Assistant app (using MacOS).

To make Synology Assistant to discover NAS I followed the advise of the several discussion threads and set my MacOS Firewall to allow incoming connections with regards to Synology Assistant.

This did not, however, help.

Next I focused on NAS DSM Firewall settings. I created a new NAS Firewall rule for NAS LAN interface that allowed Synology Assistant access via ports 9997, 9998 and 9999. (Only slightly related detail: I dedicated this rule to a specific device IP only, to minimise the risk for unauthorised access).

After this MacOS Synology Assistant discovered my NAS.

tb123
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by tb123 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:16 pm

This is why it's best to set a DHCP reservation in the router rather than a static address in the NAS - if you ever change routers or DHCP ranges, the NAS will at least pick up a new address in the correct range and be discoverable
DS916+, 3 x 4TB WD Red, 1 x 4TB WD Purple
UniFi USG, 16 port PoE switch and 4 x AP’s, some Windows, Mac, Android and iDevices

brian01_uk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by brian01_uk » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:28 pm

My situation is similar in the Synology Assistant can't find diskstation 1815+, which I've had installed and operational for approx. 3 years.

My request for advice is I urgently need to map drives and up/download files using my File Explorer and SA has been my route to this for several years.
On a wont isn't broke, don't screw around with, I've not changed any of the DSM settings....

So, SA has been working fine, until I had to replace my Surface Pro4 with a remanufactured one from MS last week, and its now quit.

My setup/situiation is the following:-
a. Win10Pro is updated and current version of SA installed
b. Tried with and without Kaspersky firewall and Windows Defender disabled and rebooted. No success.
c. SMB1 is enabled and Surface was rebooted.
d. find.synology.com is not successful in MS Edge, but does work in IE 11
e. Entering the IP address in the web bar does give access.
f. NAS firewall is not enabled
g. DHCP is disabled
h. Preferred DNS is 192.168.1.1
j. Network Interface shows LAN connected.
k. NAS status light is green

I can also "see" the NAS box from my Sony Smart BluRay player, and the IP address shows as I would expect. I can access all the media without problem.

I've trawled thru these post trails and can't find any suggestion or previous colleague with identical situation.

Any suggestions that get SA going again would be very much appreciated...

Thank you in advance...

Brian

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Unread post by HarryPotter » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:42 am

SA is not needed at all to map drives. Windows has this standard feature since WIN95 or earlier...
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

Return to “System Management”