cannot login to the system because the disk space is full

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
1) On 12/25, Synology Forums will be getting a new layout. During this time, content will still be accessible but you will be unable to make new threads and posts.

2) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

3) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
evoke
Trainee
Trainee

Re: cannot login to the system because the disk space is ful

Postby evoke » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:09 pm

That's weird dude
karmk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby karmk » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:25 pm

I've the same problem since a few days. Is there an answer to that problem? The last update didn't solve it.
Tommay
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tommay » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:10 pm

Same here. I can access the contents of my DS413 DiskStation from Mac Finder or Windows Explorer but cannot log in with DSM as the 'disk is full'. Currently backing up to the 413 using Time Machine (i have set up users with fixed quotas), but DSM will not let me manage the disk. My 2 DS213Js are fine and performing well.
Tommay
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tommay » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Further to my previous post. I think that my DS413 stopped responding to DSM after being persuaded to enter Deep Sleep for the first time, but i cannot be completely certain about this.

Meanwhile my various Macs can all backup to it using Time Machine and i can still see the files on it from Finder. I have also just established that automated scheduled backups from my DS213J to the DS413 are working.

However, still i cannot login or manage the DS413 'because the disk space is full'.

Very much hope there is a simple solution…
tangopeter
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby tangopeter » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:19 am

Exactly the same here since a few days:
- login as admin from windows pc
- cannot change anything in Syno (213+ DSM4.3) because of unauthorised message
- get kicked out after a few seconds/minutes
- get disk full message at retrying to login; LAN and disk lights flashing like mad for a few hours
- after a few hours disk lights steady green again and login again possible
- can again login as admin but get kicked out again shortly after: same results over and over

During short time of login disk space is indicated as 350GB in use of 2x2TB. So: plenty of space!

Cannot update DSM because of unauthorised message.

This makes my NAS useless. Synology, come with a solution!!
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:37 am

The message is probably not talkig about your data partition but your system partition may be filled up (log files?).

In that case you have 2 possibilities: login to the command line interface (telnet/SSH) as root, locate and delete the files that are using too much space and try again.
Or you reset your DS and reinstall the DSM. This procedure is designed not to touch your data partition, but should clear the system partition.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
polarbreeze
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby polarbreeze » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:04 pm

I am experiencing exactly the problem being described in this thread. I assume that the latest DSM update has fixed it. However, I cannot stay logged in long enough to download and then install the update. It flips to "access denied" before the download completes. I restart the server manually but the same thing happens again. Anyone know what the magic solution is?!!
Geoff_S
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Geoff_S » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:32 am

I've had the same symptoms with a DS212, ie system kicks me out of the web interface saying the disk is full, and/or also reporting that I'm "not authorised to use this service".

Logging in via SSH, I could see that /tmp was 100% full but there was nothing about hibernation. The culprit was a few log files called "synolog10xxx-1" which had grown to more than 50 or 60 MB each. Looking at these files, they contained a zillion lines like the following, repeating multiple times per seconds:

Code: Select all

1       Information     2014/02/01 19:36:47     SYNOLOG family  CIFS client [family] from [workstation(IP:192.168.xx.xxx)] accessed the shared folder [archives].

The weird thing is that these log files were created and filled up /tmp within the first minute of rebooting. But they spontaneously disappeared after about 10 minutes, and all appeared ok, but then about 10 minutes later they reappeared and the problems came back.

Any ideas on what is causing these log entries, and how to disable them ? I've had a poke around the DSM control panel but can't see anything relevant.
oh6hfx
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby oh6hfx » Mon May 12, 2014 7:39 pm

I think I have found a solution for this.

When I looked my rapidly growing synolog* files with cat command in SSH in my /tmp folder, I noticed that they started from the moment I had installed my ds213j, 3. january!

Then I looked /var/log/synolog files and found the same info there, the file was already
over 250MB in size. Deleted all too big files in /var/log, and now my Synology seems to be working! Also no more growing synolog* files appearing in /tmp folder..

log.smbd in /var/log was over 500MB...

Johannes
gnomehole
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby gnomehole » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:11 pm

So I'm having this issue now with my disk station. I don't have ssh enabled, however.

How do I fix this without being able to ssh? I cannot log into the admin console, not even just after rebooting.

The system comes up just fine and I can map to the drives and access data... I'm just locked out.

Until now a fairly successful relationship with Synology.. this has me wondering tho.
dumascon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby dumascon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:21 pm

Same problem here, I too do not have SSH turned on/installed. Is there a way to accomplish this with the Terminal? What is the command/syntax to delete these files?
zacbarton
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby zacbarton » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:59 am

"Go to your DSM page and go to the 'hibernation' settings in the hardware tab.
Set the hibernation 'Time' settings for usb hard disks to 'None'. Apply, reboot and be happy."

This worked for me. Thanks!
rheeley
I'm New!
I'm New!

Cannot login to system disk space is full

Postby rheeley » Mon May 18, 2015 4:47 pm

I have a DS413j running DSM 5.2-5565

Can't login to DSM
It says the disk space is currently full (I have about 1.6TB free)
Hard rebooted system made no difference
Can't login via SSH (system times out, I also increased the timeout threshold)

Research indicates that the log files in the tmp folder are full.
Similar to this post:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=77121&start=15

However, I can't login via DSM or SSH to delete them
The system is on and I can read files in Mac Finder

Any ideas?
rheeley
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Cannot login to system disk space is full

Postby rheeley » Tue May 19, 2015 12:00 pm

Ok so I managed to fix, posting for anyone else who runs into this:

I normally SSH'd into the server using:
ssh root@[My IP address]
As a lot of the time I'd be accessing from offsite, this didn't work so I tried the IP on local instead:

root@192.168.0.16

Which gave me access then:
cd /var/log/synolog
dir
(remove logs with rm)
rm synoconn.log
rm synoconn.log.0
rm synoindex.log

After this I was able to log back into DSM
rewozz
Sharp
Sharp