2 Step Setup - failing

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
StewartGilray
I'm New!
I'm New!

2 Step Setup - failing

Unread post by StewartGilray » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:43 am

Hi,
So I decided to enable 2-step verification on my DSM (ds416play).

When I come to login the first time since clicking the checkbox in settings, it comes up with the 2-step wizard.

however, when I scan the QR code with my iphone X and the Google Authenticator, then enter the code it provides I'm constantly getting this...
Code authentication failed. Please make sure the secret key you entered is correct or try synchronizing the system time of your mobile device and DSM.
Well since I used the QR code the secret key will be correct. My iPhone syncs time automatically, and as I can't get back into the DSM I can't check the time on there...

help!?

micwitzt
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: 2 Step Setup - failing

Unread post by micwitzt » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi,

I was able to figure out a work-around. To do this, you need to have a shared folder off of the NAS that you can still write out a file to.

1. Open up a file share on the NAS in which you have files.
2. Write out a file and note the file time information. It should NOT be equal to the time on your local PC...as the time stamp is set by the NAS on the share. If you see a significant time stamp difference form your local PC and/or your iPhone...then you know that the NAS' system time is different than the other time synced devices. This is good, and explains why the 2-Factor authentication is failing.
3. On your device with the authenticator app (e.g. your iPhone), go into the device settings, and change the time manually. On the iPhone iOS version 11.4.1, go to Settings -> General -> Date & Time, and turn of "Set Automatically." Then set the time to be approximately equal to the time stamp you get by creating a new file on the file share!!!
****Key point. You need to create a file, get the time and input it into the iphone right away to prevent to much time shift.
4. Use the Authenticator app to generate a new token on the device with the time set to be the same as the Synology, and you should be able to get in now.
5. Disable the 2 factor authentication for the user, and then turn off require 2-factor authentication.
6. Re-sync the time on the Synology with a external time source.
7. Log out of Synology, and re-login to confirm that you don't need 2-factor tokens. If so you are good to go. If not, then try to reset the time to automatic on the phone, and use the token you get from the app to get back in. You should at least be able to get in now.
8. If you did get back in without 2-factor auth., then you you can reset the time on the iPhone to get time automatically. This is VERY important so that your phone works correctly, and that any other authenticator tokens continue to work.

Hope this helps.

StewartGilray
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: 2 Step Setup - failing

Unread post by StewartGilray » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Worked a treat!

Cheers

Stew

Return to “System Management”