Log Center and UPS initiated shutdown. What does 'good' look like?

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
lwoody7110
I'm New!
I'm New!

Log Center and UPS initiated shutdown. What does 'good' look like?

Unread post by lwoody7110 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi all

Seeking advice.

What I'm fishing for is 'what do the logs look like when a UPS initiated shutdown is working as expected'.

Just started testing a domestic setup with a remote Synology at my parents house were there is an APC Smart UPS connected via USB to a DS218+. I ask here as talking with family members over the phone whilst testing means a degree of unreliable reporting on their observations. Combined with time lag until I can access the synology logs following Synology rebooting again to ask them questions about 'what happened 10 minutes ago' has left me a bit unsure.

Synology logs appear to capture the DiskStation entering Safe Mode but nothing about a successful shutdown unless I'm missing something.

Control Panel/Hardware & Power/General
Restart automatically after a power failure. TICKED ON.

Control Panel/Hardware & Power/General/UPS
Enable UPS support is ticked.
Synology setup is 'Time before DiskStation enters Safe Mode'. 3 minutes.
Shutdown UPS when the system enters Safe Mode is ticked.
Device information does show the UPS is preset.

Does the Synology log anything about a successfully completed shutdown initiated by UPS?

I'm a bit worried that the UPS shutdown before the Synology completed as there is a network card in the UPS that might have legacy config present and I don't have remote access to the UPS network card.

I appreciate that the Synology will have shutdown Log Centre and might not be able to log something. However, as Windows servers log a correct shutdown, I'm assuming Synology can too.

Return to “System Management”