Flashing Disk Light, Cannot access DSM

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
blueskiesnh2o
Trainee
Trainee

Flashing Disk Light, Cannot access DSM

Unread post by blueskiesnh2o » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:18 am

Three days ago, I replaced one of my HD and started a repair. I have four 4TB NAS disks installed. The repair seemed to be proceeding normally until yesterday when I cannot access the NAS at all. All lights on the front are steady, except the replaced HD which shows a fast flashing green light. When I run find.synology.com, it says "No diskstation found within LAN." I tried to do a normal shutdown by pressing the power switch for 3 seconds and the blue power light is flashing, but nothing else happens. It does not shutdown.

I have restarted my router but it does not show the NAS in DHCP.

Any ideas on what to do now? I do not want to lose any data.

tb123
Sharp
Sharp

Re: Flashing Disk Light, Cannot access DSM

Unread post by tb123 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:54 am

Do you have a backup?
DS916+, UniFi USG, 16 port PoE switch and 4 x AP’s, some Windows, Mac, Android and iDevices

blueskiesnh2o
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by blueskiesnh2o » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:30 am

The NAS is my backup. That's why I got it. I could eventually restore everything using various cloud backups, but that would probably take weeks.

Very disappointing if the first time I replace a hard disk in a redundant array, the volume is destroyed. Doesn't say much for the technology.

mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Unread post by mike42dk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:11 am

Hi

Do the network port led blink? can you see if the DS has connection with the network? Synology assistant?

I understand it so that you have all 4 4TB disks in the same disk group, and you are running SHR?

If what I'm writing in the next lines are to confusing, make a support ticket at Synology and let them help you!!

If so you mark all your disks, so you can see where they where placed in the DS, then take all the disk out and put a new disk into your DS, then see if you can connect to your DS.

If you can, take the new disk out, then set the 3 "old" disk back, and see if the DS will start, and you can access your data.

If you can see your data, then you can check the "new" disk, with manufactures disk tool. If it's broken make an RMA, if not reformat the disk, and try to rebuild the SHR disk group again.
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6.2
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic

blueskiesnh2o
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by blueskiesnh2o » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The network LED does blink as if it has access, but the NAS is not connected to the network. The router does not show it connected, nothing from Synology Assistant. Yes, four 4TB disks in Hybrid RAID.

I have no problem trying what you suggest, but at this point, I don't know how to shutdown the NAS. I cannot power it down and am hesitant to just unplug it for fear of corrupting the volume. Since the #3 disk is the only one showing disk activity (this is the one that was being rebuilt), I am considering pulling that disk out with the NAS still powered on. That seems like the least risky option?

I have already opened a support ticket but their advice does not help me on how to shutdown the NAS.

blueskiesnh2o
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by blueskiesnh2o » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:48 pm

Well, I finally threw in the towel. I pulled the HD #3 (which was the only one with a flashing LED, showing access) with no change. The NAS remained on but inaccessible via the network. I then pulled the plug. I restarted the NAS without disk 3 and it booted up normally with a degraded volume as expected. I plugged the new disk into my desktop and checked it and it performs normally so I plugged it back into the NAS and will try the repair again. Hopefully this time it will finish.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “System Management”