SLOW TRANSFER SPEEDS SOLVED! Fixes ALL SYNOLOGY AND QNAP !!

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
trumanhw
I'm New!
I'm New!

SLOW TRANSFER SPEEDS SOLVED! Fixes ALL SYNOLOGY AND QNAP !!

Unread post by trumanhw » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:53 am

First NAS - TS-453 Pro ... 4 drive bays with 7K4000 2TB drives (7200RPM, NEW).
Max speed over:
CAT5e, ~ 100MB/s (just under Gig-E)
eSATA ~ 34MB/s (This is straight USB 2.0 speeds - [Please control your language]!?)

Called / emailed for help - of course, was directed to: Update FW/SW - change ports, etc. No change.

Synology came out with a USB 3.0 model - I presumed this'd be my 'savior' of speed-needs:

DS1813+
Has eSATA, USB 3.0 -- so between the 5 Gb/s, and backup 3Gbs eSATA (which isn't made by QNAP so why would it have the SAME EXACT PROBLEMS, right?).

6 Drives
8-Bay
7K4000
4TB HGST 7200 RPM -- NEW
ALWAYS use new drives: You wouldn't believe the crap mfr do to "refurbish" them.
Watch anything Scott Moulton on hard drives / recovery...

READY!??

Max speed over:
CAT5e, ~ 110MB/s !!! Wooo hoo... Way faster. (just under Gig-E)
USB 3.0 - ... 29MB/s
eSATA ~ 33MB/s

I'm DONE with these appliance-style LYING companies... I will build-my-own. Maybe FreeNAS, or whatever. Maybe just OS X, and a RAID controller.

8 Drives (MaxUpgrades has a cool kit for Mac Pros)
10GbE
USB 3.1
980 Ti if I need to do anything with video...

Apparently, you can just put USB 3.0 on the label, color the ports blue, and call it a new product!
Basically, adapt a USB 2 hub to some fake high speed connectors and call it an upgrade. NICE. We're all fooled.
NOT fraud? k. Well, F-- YOU ALL. Your products are [Please control your language]. And you're a bunch of liars.

Neither Synology nor QNAP buy RAID controllers.
Maybe you get an LED, some SATA ports and a linux Distro they custom built.

What a freeking scam. A HDD / computer case... with a linux distro.

It's slow? We don't care. We'll just scam you with the "new and improved" BLUE ports, that are just as slow as the old ones.

Some of you got fast speeds? So...
SOME TIMES the car you bought turns on?
SOME of you got a car with an engine?

This is freaking BULL.

I WILL BUILD MY OWN FROM NOW ON. And I will know exactly who to blame. And I will be able to return PARTS that suck. And BUY PARTS rather than getting EXTORTED for them.

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Re: SLOW TRANSFER SPEEDS SOLVED! Fixes ALL SYNOLOGY AND QNAP !!

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:38 am

Whatever makes you feel better m8
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

Shadow771
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by Shadow771 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Synology DS216+II <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> <site-to-site VPN tunnel> <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> Synology DS118

Twisted World
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by Twisted World » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:37 pm

The move to the new "community" is just another example of Synology not caring about customer wishes and [Please control your language] us all in the behind. I'll be leaving this forum and NOT be joining the new "community". It was a fun ride. Please don't expect any replies from me because the e-mail address associated with my Synology account will be disabled. Goodbye and thanks for the great time while it lasted.

Return to “File Server Performance”