Demystifying CPU Usage

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
MikeEEE
Trainee
Trainee

Demystifying CPU Usage

Unread post by MikeEEE » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:53 am

I am experiencing consistently high(er) CPU utilization than I would expect/desire.

From what I can tell, I have disabled/removed/deleted all file indexing and no folders are obviously apparent in being configured in any way towards indexing. Additionally, the CPU is saying that a majority of this is from "user utilization":

I have not instantiated any process on my own volition, and I am the only user that is logged into this machine, so what gives?

I have also rebooted, but unlike Windows, Unix does a good job of accurately representing OS/system state and continues to persist in this regard. :wink:

EDIT: Also worth mentioning that I only have Universal Search and File Station installed.

Any guidance/insight/assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Michael

Squozen
Guru
Guru

Re: Demystifying CPU Usage

Unread post by Squozen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am

Well, Universal Search needs an index, so I'm guessing it's that? If you stop/uninstall the package does the CPU usage go down?

MikeEEE
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by MikeEEE » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:50 am

Oh you can stop/uninstall Universal Search? Please show me the way. :) Everything I have seen says you cannot do this.

Squozen
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Squozen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:24 pm

https://tech.setepontos.com/2018/03/10/ ... ology-dsm/

Just stop the service and see if the CPU usage goes down. Then decide if you want to go to extremes and uninstall it completely. :)

MikeEEE
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by MikeEEE » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 pm

Ahhh very cool. Thank you for that, @Squozen. After much wrestling with this, it turns out that the issue was having me logged in! All that activity is from logging in and viewing the activity that is from logging in and viewing that activity. :lol:

Sort of quantum and meta. :P

I learned a lot, though. I basically found this out by turning on SSH and using "top" from an SSH client. It was there that I saw that nothing was actually taking up juice. It was only when I logged into the Synology portal that the damage occurred.

Hopefully, this might help out some other newb trying to understand the magic that is the Diskstation.

Thanks again for your help!

Return to “System Management”