Problem with user homes

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
matkus
I'm New!
I'm New!

Problem with user homes

Postby matkus » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:32 pm

I've dicided to gie a try to Moments.
But when I run it, it says user homes is not enabled.
So, I went to Control Panel -> users->advanced -> but user homes is enabled there. So, like with most problems, I want to disable it and enable again, but i can't disable it, i just get "operation failed" and that's all.
I've checked what is in /volume1/homes/ and this directory exists, but is empty. I've tried to create there directory with my user name, but this does not help.

Any idea what next should i do?
telos
Versed
Versed

Re: Problem with user homes

Postby telos » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 am

What happens if you create a new user? Does homes populate with the new user name?
matkus
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby matkus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:12 am

No, it does not. Not after creating user, not after logging into that user.
I've tried even to change permission for homes, even tested for full rights for everyone, but with no luck.

But there is directory /var/services/homes, that contains directories for users.

matkus@nas:/var/services$ ls -ld homes/
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Feb 13 08:00 homes/

matkus@nas:/var/services/homes$ ls -ld *
drwxr-xr-x 2 admin users 4096 Jun 1 2017 admin
drwxr-xr-x 2 Kasiorek users 4096 Jan 1 16:44 Kasiorek

matkus@nas:/var/services/homes$ ls -ld /volume1/homes/
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root 12 Feb 11 21:21 /volume1/homes/

i'm not sure it there shouldnt be also /var/services/homes/matkus directory, since this is my main user name, but there is admin, so maybe this is it?
nixjps
Student
Student

Postby nixjps » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi,

Somehow you or a package you installed screw up your homes directories.

/var/services usually contains link to directories located on /volume*.
For instance:

Code: Select all

lrwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root   14 Feb  8 17:02 homes -> /volume1/homes
lrwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root   14 Dec 17 12:16 music -> /volume2/music

On your DS, /var/services/homes is not a link but a directory.... I guess that's why you got "Operation failed".... In addition your /var/services/home has ACL turned off....
If you have sensitive data in admin/ or Kasiorek/ I suggest you make a backup to one of your existing shares.

Code: Select all

# assuming you have a share called Data in volume1
cd /var/services
sudo cp -a homes /volume1/Data/homes.backup
# you may now remove the directory and restore the link.
sudo rm -rf homes
sudo ln -s /volume1/homes homes

Once done, I would suggest disabling home service in "Control Panel" and then re-enabling it.
Rgds,
DS916+ (8G) - DSM 6.1.3-15152u4 - ST8000VN0022-2EL112 x 3 - 1 SHR Disk Group - 2 volumes - Home Usage
DS216Play - DSM 6.1.3-15152u4 - ST4000DM000-1F2168 x 2 - Basic Disks - 2 Volumes - Off site backup of DS916+ and local browsing of Photos, Musics and Videos
DS916 and DS216Play MAN link (1Gb FFTH same ISP).
DS916 S2S -> DS216Play, HyperBackup of DS916 config & critical data to DS216Play. HyperBackup of DS216Play configuration and local data to DS916
matkus
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby matkus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:29 am

It worked.
Thank you :)

Return to “System Management”