What am I missing?

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
joe002
Beginner
Beginner

What am I missing?

Postby joe002 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:01 am

I have a DS413 running under DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2 using RAID 5.

A hard disk crashed, so I bought an "exact" replacement (ED 3.0TB WD30EFRX). I shut it down, pulled out the busted drive, put in the new drive and powered it on.

The Storage Managers says Volume 1 is crashed, and the HDD/SSD section is shows the new disk as Not Initialized. The Manage tab under Volume is greyed out.

I'm at a loss. What do I need to do to make it part of my volume again?

For the time being I started to do a Secure Erase on the new disk - not sure what else to do...

I'm assuming I'm missing something simple. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
DS213j - 2x WD Red, RAID 1
DS413  - 4x WD Red, RAID 6
bstegner
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: What am I missing?

Postby bstegner » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:00 am

I don't believe the volume should be showing as crashed for a RAID 5 array if only one disk went bad, if it was RAID 0 or JBOD, sure but not for RAID 5. I believe it should show as Degraded. Do you still see the other 3 drives, under volume and/or HDD/SSD... All drives should be showing as Normal now since you replaced the bad drive.

You probably have seen this but this is how a repaid should work...

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... oup_repair
joe002
Beginner
Beginner

Postby joe002 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:11 am

Yeah, something doesn't seem right.

Only one drive failed, I do have RAID 5, the other 3 drives have a status of "Normal". The new drive doesn't show up in the Volume tab, and in the Volume tab the Volume is "Crashed" not "Degraded". Under HDD/SDD the three original drives are "Normal" and the new drive is S.M.A.R.T Normal and Status Erasing (I was hoping that maybe erasing the new disk would "fix" things).

I was hoping to just click on Manage to fix things, but it seems that if the Volume is "Crashed" the Manage button is disabled...
joe002
Beginner
Beginner

Postby joe002 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:40 pm

So to follow up...

I communicated with Synology technical support - VERY helpful. :D

It turns out that as my drive was failing it caused the NAS to have an improper shutdown that cause some file system damage that Crashed the Volume. The NAS rebooted and within 30 minutes the drive crashed hard.

When you have a Crashed Volume the Manage tab is greyed out because Synology wants you to work with Tech Support to repair the Volume. Tech support did offer to help recover or try to fix the Crashed Volume, however all of the data on this NAS came from other sources that still had the data so I was able to re-build it without losing anything.

Synology Tech Support answered all of my questions and helped me with my decision to go to RAID 10 or RAID 6.

I ended up building the new Volume with RAID 6 and put the latest DSM software on the box. So far, so good.

Return to “System Management”