DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
toolpusher
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby toolpusher » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:41 am

Hell I run a 716+ with two 3tb drives running 24/7 and it sits on my desk about 3 foot away from my ears and i have to look at it normally to see that its working. Not a sound from it . Was going to upgrade my drives but just going to leave well alone now that I have read this post can only be the drives at fault
TP
DS716+
QWEbie
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:02 am

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby QWEbie » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:47 pm

alexandernst wrote:Well, I was refraining from posting negative things, but since you asked...

I can't believe a +700€ device was designed so badly that I had to create a post in the forums asking for help with the noise it makes.
I tried with the metal screws and the noise level kept being pretty much the same.
Then I found a thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comme ... _solution/) with some photos explaining how to use velcro to minimize the sound.
It actually worked, but then again, I was putting velcro in a +700€ device... to make it vibrate less... because the guys that designed the device didn't think about that.

Are you fine with this feedback or do you want me to provide more negative feedback?

Hey alexandernst, going to get some velcro over the next few days and try my luck at dampening the vibrations.

You said it worked, how well did it go? Was it a major or minor improvement??? Thanks

toolpusher wrote:Hell I run a 716+ with two 3tb drives running 24/7 and it sits on my desk about 3 foot away from my ears and i have to look at it normally to see that its working. Not a sound from it . Was going to upgrade my drives but just going to leave well alone now that I have read this post can only be the drives at fault

Just like my 413j, I have to check time to time to see its blinking LEDs, but now I don't need to for the 916+ and HGST combination, gra-gragra-gra-gragra-gra :roll:
DS 916+ | x2 4TB WD Red WD40EFRX 5400rpm
DS 916+ | x4 4TB HGST HDN726040 7200rpm
DS 413j
QWEbie
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:02 am

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby QWEbie » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:57 am

alexandernst wrote:Well, I was refraining from posting negative things, but since you asked...

I can't believe a +700€ device was designed so badly that I had to create a post in the forums asking for help with the noise it makes.
I tried with the metal screws and the noise level kept being pretty much the same.
Then I found a thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comme ... _solution/) with some photos explaining how to use velcro to minimize the sound.
It actually worked, but then again, I was putting velcro in a +700€ device... to make it vibrate less... because the guys that designed the device didn't think about that.

Are you fine with this feedback or do you want me to provide more negative feedback?

This didn't work for me. It dampens the vibration, but not the noise coming from the harddisk.

QWEbie wrote:
alexandernst wrote:I got my DS916+ and 3 HGST Deskstar 7K3000 HDDs. The HDDs are supposed to make somewhere between 17 and 18 dBA (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1243-page5.html) while the fans of the Synology are supposed to work somewhere in the 30-range.

Keeping that in mind, mine sounds like something between a huge car (of the sort of a Lambo or a Ferrari) and a small plane.
Jokes aside. Even my PS3 (fat), in the hottest summer day, after 5 hours of non-stop gaming, makes less noise.

What is going on? Why is it making so much noise? And the most important: how can I make it quieter?

Same setup here: 916+ with 2x HGST 4TB and another 916+ with 4x HGST 4TB

Compared to my old 413j with old WD Green drives, the 916+ is very loud when its accessing the hard disks.

916+ & x2 HGST Setup environment: Living room with TV beside the NAS, distance of 5-8metres away, you could hear it clearly even with other background noise (TV)
To anyone who wishes to use it as their media server etc, I would highly recommend not getting the HGST drive, as its just too loud. Would be better off with 5400rpm drives.

916+ & x4 HGST Setup environment: This is on my work desk and within 3metres. Loudness/noise is more than the one with 2x HGST (distance and no. of hdds)
916+: Any hard disk access is noticeable even without deliberately listening for the noise. Heavy transfers, you can imagine =\
413j: Only noticeable during heavy transfers, but still acceptable

Assuming the HGST is 7200rpm and naturally louder than the WD Red or 5400rpm drives~

Am currently deciding whether to replace it with x2 WD Red 5400rpm drives =/ I'll post another update if I do replace them :)

After 2x 10-12hrs of repairing the SHR RAID, I've finally replaced the HGST x2 drives to WD Red (WD40EFRX)
The noise levels on the 916+ is back to acceptable "normal" levels. Only on heavy usage you can hear the drives, but still very much lower noise than the HGST.
Other than that, there is almost no noise during hdd access
DS 916+ | x2 4TB WD Red WD40EFRX 5400rpm
DS 916+ | x4 4TB HGST HDN726040 7200rpm
DS 413j
rformoso
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:31 am

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby rformoso » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:59 am

I am also upgrading from a 413j to a 916+ and it amazes me the difference in noise levels using the same hard drives (3x WD red 6TB+1x WD green 3TB, now expanded to 4x WD red 6TB). The screw-less design is screwed!

On the 413j it all is nicely screwed (for those who don't know, you screw the HDDs to the trays, then trays to chassis by using the remaining HDD hole, this last screw holds HDD+tray+chasis, everything horizontal, everything nice and tight). I could only hear it on heavy utilisation, and even then the noise was surprisingly low.

I don't understand why would they set on screwless. Yes, it saves you a lot of time installing each HDD, like one minute or even more :o How many times are you going to insert HDDs during the life of the device? On the 413j I only did it twice in 4 years, maybe I also do it twice on the 916, 3 times tops! They noise is far more annoying than screws

Anyway, I will try to screw the HDD to the trays, however, I would need to rip the little plastic pin. And certainly will give the Velcro a go.. can't believe we need to use Velcro :roll:

This is IMO poor design choices (i.e. screw-less+vertical) given the target users. This device is for advanced home users or entry level business users. Chances are this device is going to sit near the users, not hidden away in server rooms!

I hope Synology reads this and gives us screw friendly trays with some damping, free of charge, to address their mess.. :wink:
QWEbie
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:02 am

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby QWEbie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:16 am

rformoso wrote:Anyway, I will try to screw the HDD to the trays, however, I would need to rip the little plastic pin. And certainly will give the Velcro a go.. can't believe we need to use Velcro :roll:


Thanks for the update!

I do feel the very slight difference of the vibration after the Velcro trick, but doesn't really help with the overall noise. Eg: Noise level: 10, after Velcro level: 9.7 ("felt" the difference, but didn't really help in the noise "heard")

Keep us updated if screwing instead of screwless helps! 8) If that helps considerably, might consider going for screws on my 916+ with x4 HGST 7200rpm :?
DS 916+ | x2 4TB WD Red WD40EFRX 5400rpm
DS 916+ | x4 4TB HGST HDN726040 7200rpm
DS 413j
rformoso
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:31 am

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby rformoso » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Well.. the Velcro made not much difference.. slightly less vibration on touch, but nearly just as noisy.. :x

As for the screws, I am trying to find longer as the ones I have are too small (just the standard short ones). Maybe something like THESE

Will let you know..
rformoso
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:31 am

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby rformoso » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:36 pm

It turns out I did have some screws like those I've linked before... Maybe from my case modding days... Who knows :D

Screwed HDDs to trays using the provided washers and also using a normal (small) screw on the middle HDD side hole. I had to leave out the previously "velcroed skids" tho. It did make a difference, not massive, not par with 413... Noticeable nevertheless..

I also attached another piece of velcro to the inner front side of the tray, in contact with the HDDs.. I think this also made some damping.

All in all, noise is still there... the best noise damping I've got was holding the case with my hands from the sides, from the "sinology" cutouts on the sides. I have the feeling that this all-plastic enclosure is like a resonance chamber. :x

I am almost regretting the upgrade...did not really need it, just wanted it.. I guess I have to learn to live with it, till the next upgrade.. Won't be a synology-only contest...
QWEbie
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:02 am

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby QWEbie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:21 pm

rformoso wrote:It turns out I did have some screws like those I've linked before... Maybe from my case modding days... Who knows :D

Screwed HDDs to trays using the provided washers and also using a normal (small) screw on the middle HDD side hole. I had to leave out the previously "velcroed skids" tho. It did make a difference, not massive, not par with 413... Noticeable nevertheless..

I also attached another piece of velcro to the inner front side of the tray, in contact with the HDDs.. I think this also made some damping.

All in all, noise is still there... the best noise damping I've got was holding the case with my hands from the sides, from the "sinology" cutouts on the sides. I have the feeling that this all-plastic enclosure is like a resonance chamber. :x

Thanks for the quick hack & update! Hm, looks like I'll leave my HGST combination as it is then and live with it (more or less got used to it now)

413j's performance couldn't keep up with my usage, even logging into the DSM itself takes time =\ Though, after the 916+ upgrade, it was blazing fast (or expected performance)

rformoso wrote:
I am almost regretting the upgrade...did not really need it, just wanted it.. I guess I have to learn to live with it, till the next upgrade.. Won't be a synology-only contest...


I am satisfied with the 916+ performance coming from a 413j upgrade~ Though Synology's DSM GUI is pretty nice and stable, but after meddling with Dockers, and some experience leveling-up in the Linux section, QNAP is definitely on my list for the next NAS purchase :idea:
DS 916+ | x2 4TB WD Red WD40EFRX 5400rpm
DS 916+ | x4 4TB HGST HDN726040 7200rpm
DS 413j
rformoso
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:31 am

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby rformoso » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:03 pm

QWEbie wrote:Thanks for the quick hack

No probs. Hacking is fun when is for free :lol:

QWEbie wrote:QNAP is definitely on my list for the next NAS purchase :idea:

:wink:
rformoso
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:31 am

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby rformoso » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:55 pm

In my quest for silence I made some more velcro..

I've added another two pieces to the longitudinal side, inner part (in contact with the HDD). This will press against the outer velcro on the "skids" and the rubber washers . This has been more effective than the screws. It is a bit difficult to insert the caddy, since is very tight but it has been effective.
Weissinger
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby Weissinger » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:43 am

Mineis noisy as hell too! I'll try and get some velcro.
Moanaman
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby Moanaman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:09 pm

So I got rid of my noise completely. I can't believe how quiet mu DS916+ is.

I pulled the screw-less slides off. Put a screw in the middle hole (on both sides of the drives) to hold the drives on the frames and the put the slides back on and carefully slid the drives back in. The slides bowing over the screws is enough to create a snug fit and bobs your aunty... no noise.
DummyPLUG
Student
Student
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:04 pm

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby DummyPLUG » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:16 pm

beware if you do the velcro, if you put it on both size the tray may become very tight and hard to remove, I learn this in hard way (1817+)
DS1817+, DS412+ (dead), 2*DS211j
mountainman3520
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:17 pm

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby mountainman3520 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:48 pm

My Synology 916+ is driving me crazy with the vibration and buzzing. Its terrible. I need to keep this unit located in my office and I can't sit next to it and work with it vibrating in various horrible ways. Must find a solution. Has anyone worked with Synology on this? I want to hear their answer to this issue.

Obviously they totally screwed up this design. Some genius thought it would be trendy and cool to list screwless design on the features list and completely broke this model and cost all of us a lot of money. I can't wait to get rid of this thing.

I have no issue with typical quiet/efficient fan noise which is a form of white noise that blends into the background. And I have no issue with the sound of the HDs themselves as that's to be expected and not Synology's fault. But the vibration of the Synology unit and its trays is a disrupting maddening sort of noise and completely unnecessary and unacceptable, particularly in a high end pro-sumer device.

Synology! If you want return customers, fix this and provide a free correction kit to people who have already purchased 916+ units.
mountainman3520
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:17 pm

Re: DS916+ is making *so much* noise

Postby mountainman3520 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:04 am

mountainman3520 wrote:My Synology 916+ is driving me crazy with the vibration and buzzing. Its terrible. I need to keep this unit located in my office and I can't sit next to it and work with it vibrating in various horrible ways. Must find a solution. Has anyone worked with Synology on this? I want to hear their answer to this issue.

Obviously they totally screwed up this design. Some genius thought it would be trendy and cool to list screwless design on the features list and completely broke this model and cost all of us a lot of money. I can't wait to get rid of this thing.

I have no issue with typical quiet/efficient fan noise which is a form of white noise that blends into the background. And I have no issue with the sound of the HDs themselves as that's to be expected and not Synology's fault. But the vibration of the Synology unit and its trays is a disrupting maddening sort of noise and completely unnecessary and unacceptable, particularly in a high end pro-sumer device.

Synology! If you want return customers, fix this and provide a free correction kit to people who have already purchased 916+ units.


I contacted Synology customer service. They responded within a day with an email, which is unusual and excellent. But unfortunately their message does not help resolve the issue.
The rep looked up alternate drive trays that would allow screwed in drives and found that there were none compatible with the DS916+. Also he said that Synology would not help by exchanging for an alternate unit nor would they refund the price paid. He said I must contact my seller but since its been more than 30 days my seller would also refuse to help and refer me to Synology.

Seems like we will all be stuck with the bad and cheap design of the DS916+.

It's really lame because the Netgear unit I replaced was all metal, build like a tank, and didn't have any vibration or noise other than the fans and drives. I think I paid $200 for that Netgear 2 drive NAS so this Synology unit was 3 times as expensive and its flimsy plastic. Not good.

Return to “System Management”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests