File Integrity Check

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
TopGunSF
Trainee
Trainee

File Integrity Check

Postby TopGunSF » Thu May 18, 2017 2:05 am

I'm currently running DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2

Some recent power issues caused my Disk Station to go offline in the middle of a backup, which I now need to restore files from. It's something between highly likely and certain that at least one of the files in the backup is damaged/incomplete - but I'm not able to run fsck in the normal manner and I've not had much luck searching the forums here for a process that works on DSM 6.x.

(Tried Synology support as well - apparently they're dead set on making sure I don't buy Synology products anymore. Looks like folks who provide guidance for a device whose only function is to store files are unable to assist with a process to verify the integrity of those files... [Seriously, 0/10 Synology support - awful job.])

SO: Does anyone have a process for getting fsck or similar to work on DSM?
Cerunnos
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: File Integrity Check

Postby Cerunnos » Thu May 18, 2017 6:46 am

You can try a data scrub:

Storage Manager > Volume > Manage > "Start data scrubbing"

This still won't do much to allow you to recover that file as it was probably incomplete.
TopGunSF
Trainee
Trainee

Postby TopGunSF » Thu May 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Cerunnos - thank you, but RAID parity consistency is not my concern in this case. I'm attempting to verify the actual file/filesystem integrity through a tool such as fsck. I don't expect to see the contents of the partial file restored, but I do expect it to identify which file was damaged along with any other file system inconsistencies the improper shutdowns may have caused.

(And to the mod - stop helping, please.)
synology_ukman
Versed
Versed

Postby synology_ukman » Thu May 18, 2017 3:36 pm

TopGunSF
Trainee
Trainee

Postby TopGunSF » Fri May 19, 2017 5:41 pm

Unfortunately it does not appear to. I'm running DSM 6, I can complete the instructions to the third command if I run the power off task in debug mode, and then it tells me that the volume doesn't exist.

If I run it as the first post suggest telnet is killed right off the bat and I can't do anything from there.

(Called Synology support - they told me there was a way to do it but they wouldn't tell me what it is... What the hell is wrong with these people?)

EDIT: Finally got it to work, the below is what did it for me.

Code: Select all

syno_poweroff_task -d
e2fsck -pvf -C 0 /dev/md2

Adding -d to the syno task which is "debug mode" - running it normally kills telnet and SSH.
Use df to see where the volume you want checked is and replace "md2" in my command above with whatever that is for you.

Return to “System Management”