ds212j queries

The general discussion room of 2012 Synology DiskStations.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
frasefrase
I'm New!
I'm New!

ds212j queries

Unread post by frasefrase » Thu May 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi, I'm considering purchasing the ds212j, but have a few queries -

I want to use it as a backup drive for my laptop, but also for streaming music, movies and viewing pictures

I assume I can set up a scheduled backup to run and copy specific files and folders, but how does this work if I also want to stream music using iTunes server? I believe music needs to be in a certain folder on the NAS, so would I need to duplicate my music folder?

Also, If I just use one hard disk to begin with, but want to set up RAID1 at a later date, I assume it will wipe my drives?

Thanks

mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Re: ds212j queries

Unread post by mike42dk » Fri May 03, 2013 6:35 am

Hi

You can use any backup program, that support network protocol backup.

So just find a program and set it up to backup/sync your music folder on your DS, then your music files are visible in Itunes, when the Itunes server is setup in DSM.

If you use SHR when setting up your disk the first time, then you can add a disk and the DS will make a RAID setup without theres any harm done to your DATA on the first disk.

http://www.synology.com/support/tutoria ... u&q_id=492
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6.2
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic

Return to “2012 Synology DiskStation Hardware Discussion”