Looking to buy a Synology DS1812+ and have some questions

The general discussion room of 2012 Synology DiskStations.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
DH888
I'm New!
I'm New!

Looking to buy a Synology DS1812+ and have some questions

Unread post by DH888 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:58 am

I am looking to purchase an NAS solution to back up my data. I am looking at the Synology DS1812+ with 8x4TB drives in it.

I currently have 14 USB 2.0 & 3.0 External HD 2TB to 4TB in size equaling 42TB total size. I want to back up the data on these drives to a Network attached device. I am looking for some guidance as to what configuration would be practical and most desirable. Specifically I am not interested in going with a RAID configuration since this is a backup and I already have another copy of the data that will be stored on this device. I have done some reading on the subject and if I understand correctly JBOD would not be a very good solution since I understand that if one drive dies I will lose the data on all drives since they are connected together. Am I understanding this correctly?

If this is indeed the case and since a RAID configuration doesn't help me what type of setup would you suggest and is an NAS device even going to be able to do what I want it to do which is just be a destination to back my data up to?

Another consideration for me is since I have so many drives and that doesn't even include network drives that are taking up drive letters I only have a few drive letters available for me to use. How do drives in an Network attached device show up in Windows?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide :)

mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Looking to buy a Synology DS1812+ and have some question

Unread post by mike42dk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:22 pm

DH888 wrote:I am looking to purchase an NAS solution to back up my data. I am looking at the Synology DS1812+ with 8x4TB drives in it.

I currently have 14 USB 2.0 & 3.0 External HD 2TB to 4TB in size equaling 42TB total size. I want to back up the data on these drives to a Network attached device. I am looking for some guidance as to what configuration would be practical and most desirable. Specifically I am not interested in going with a RAID configuration since this is a backup and I already have another copy of the data that will be stored on this device. I have done some reading on the subject and if I understand correctly JBOD would not be a very good solution since I understand that if one drive dies I will lose the data on all drives since they are connected together. Am I understanding this correctly?

If this is indeed the case and since a RAID configuration doesn't help me what type of setup would you suggest and is an NAS device even going to be able to do what I want it to do which is just be a destination to back my data up to?
It will be the same with RAID 0, if 1 disk die all data is lost, so as I see it you can use SHR=RAID5 it will give you 28 TB for storage, and this way if a disk stops working you can change the disk and repair the volume and you will be up and running again.
Another consideration for me is since I have so many drives and that doesn't even include network drives that are taking up drive letters I only have a few drive letters available for me to use. How do drives in an Network attached device show up in Windows?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide :)
Synology works with shared folders, so you mount a folder as a drive in windows.
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6.2
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic

Return to “2012 Synology DiskStation Hardware Discussion”