external USB harddrive missing

A hotfix launched to address issues (see release notes) occurring after the DSM 3.2-1922 upgrade.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
qwertze
I'm New!
I'm New!

external USB harddrive missing

Unread post by qwertze » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Hello,

i just successfully updated my ds410j from DSM 3.2-1922 to DSM 3.2-1944 and my external harddrive that was connected via usb disappeared. i cant see any devices connected to my ds410j when i try to check if they are connected by opening the control panel/external devices. everything else seems to work fine.

i tried to reboot the nas manually using the web interface - no success. i never encountered this problem after updating before dsm 3.2-1944.

any suggestions ?

thank you in advance.

chris

DrSpook
Beginner
Beginner

Re: external USB harddrive missing

Unread post by DrSpook » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Having just bought a usb external disk to backup my DS209 I'm particularly dismayed to see 2 USB disk & backup related problems with the new 1944 release.

Looks like i'll be staying on DSM 3.1 for a while yet :(

qwertze
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by qwertze » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:39 am

hmm - havent had any usb-related problems before upgrading to dsm3.2-1944. any update including 1922 was working perfectly. maybe dsm3.2 is an issue for 2-bay models ? cant tell. just read another thread regarding usb problems with a 2-bay nas.

this is really the first problem i had with this product - so i will be patient (kindof ^^) and hope for a fix in a new DSM release.

sjeph8je
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by sjeph8je » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:10 am

No problem here with my USB drives, see my sig.
DS-218+ (10GB) | DSM 6.2-23739 | 1 x WD20EFRX (Basic-btrfs) (Hyper backup vault, DS, Docker, Tvheadend)
DS-916+ (8GB) | DSM 6.2-23739 | 2 x WD40EFRX (RAID1-btrfs) | 2 x WD10EFRX (RAID1-btrfs) (AS, Calendar, Chat, CMS, Docker, Hyper backup, PS, Snapshot Replication, SVN, VS, WS, Webdav)
  • Startech S3510SMU33 | WD20EFRX (ext-4)
DS-213J | DSM 6.2-23739 | 1 x WD20EFRX (Basic-ext4) (Hyper backup vault)
DS-209 | DSM 6.2-23648

Corruption wears infinite disguises.

DrSpook
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by DrSpook » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:10 pm

I took the plunge and updated from 3.1 to 3.2 1944. (DS209)
My external USB disk was connected throughout & mounted just fine after the update.
My backup jobs were intact & a test backup ran fine.
Transmission & Twonky ran fine too, although the Twonky startup script seems to have gone from /usr/syno/etc/rc.d.

qwertze
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by qwertze » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:43 pm

glad to hear that your usb devices are working. i will try another external case - maybe its the usb/sata controller that causes problems.

DrSpook
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by DrSpook » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:22 pm

I'm using a cheap USB 2.0 SATA case from Amazon ~£15 (shows as JMicron JM20329 SATA bridge).

qwertze
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by qwertze » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:35 pm

finally !

i just rebooted the nas with the usb-hdd detached (and power turned off), turned power of the external hdd on and plugged it back into the nas. now the nas recognizes my hdd correct ! should have found out earlier, but i never had to do this for any DSM upgrade. anyway its working again :)

thank you guys for your time - maybe this helps another user: my dsm tells me, that my usb box uses a SPIF225A.

bb
chris

racko
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by racko » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:07 pm

qwertze wrote:Hello,

i just successfully updated my ds410j from DSM 3.2-1922 to DSM 3.2-1944 and my external harddrive that was connected via usb disappeared. i cant see any devices connected to my ds410j when i try to check if they are connected by opening the control panel/external devices. everything else seems to work fine.

i tried to reboot the nas manually using the web interface - no success. i never encountered this problem after updating before dsm 3.2-1944.

any suggestions ?

thank you in advance.

chris
Almost same problem here, with 3.2-1944 on USB Station 2. I use a single external USB storage with 2 IDE HDD's inside. No problems on DSM 3.1 but after 3.2 update my USB Station 2 doesn't see the second HDD from the external drive. I have this problem if I boot up with the external drive pluged in. The only workaround which I found is to boot up without the external drive and plug in after the system started.

So, it could be a bug on 3.2-1944 release?

TheGibs
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by TheGibs » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:41 am

Hi all,

I face the same usb external disappearance issue (DS-411j). I tried to change the drive as it seemed to be noisy, with no success. Both old and new usb drives works with my PC without annoyances.

It really seems related to 3.2-1944. I lost TimeBackup functionnalities and now am scared with possible data loss in case of a power/system crash (already happened some time ago).

It does not affect my APC UPS connected on the same NAS.

Thank you for any help.

Ferry
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Ferry » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:23 am

I have a problem that I don't know if it could be related to the one described in this thread.

I have an external iOmega USB HDD, ext4 formatted, attached to my DS210j. It was working fine until I updated to the latest FW (I've been some time without updating). Now the USB HDD is simply not recognized. Another ext. USB drive is, an iOmega multimedia box (NTFS), as well as an USB audio dongle, but not the ext4 one, it's not even shown in System Information.

It is recognized without problems when I connect it to my computer (MacOS X with fuse-ext2). I've noticed that some files had changed permissions to a state I've been unable to copy them, so I had to use TestDisk to recover those files.

I've reformatted it to NTFS and HFS+, I've left it empty, with no partitions at all, I've lowlevel-formatted it, just to check if my DS210j sees it, to no avail.

Any clue on what could be happening here? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

Redfield
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Redfield » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:54 am

I've got similar problem.

My Usb Station 2 running the latest DSM version (3.2-1968) eventually lost external HDD folder.
Drive was visible in "external devices" dialog and looked OK, but it couldn't be used as there were no mounted folder for it. It was rather strange because system log contained records about mounting and exporting.

I had to reset to default settings to make my device work.

pterpm
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by pterpm » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:46 am

Could you guys tell me what is going on when i updated to the current version of DSM, i had 2 of Synology Nas 2 bays and 8 bays, after upgrade to newest version of DSM i no longer can see my USB in Web browser of Synology

Could you please, help me with that

Thank you

Return to “DiskStation Manager 3.2 - 1944”