DSM 3.2.1922 update failed on DS209

A DSM update including Directory Server, LDAP Client, Remote Folder, Virtual Drive, Syslog Server, Mac OS X Lion Support, Photo Station 5, Google Cloud Print, UPnP Router Support, DSM mobile, and CalDAV server; along with other software enhancements.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
swarsh
I'm New!
I'm New!

DSM 3.2.1922 update failed on DS209

Unread post by swarsh » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:58 am

Manually updated my DS209 via control panel from DSM 3.2 beta to 3.2.1922. After reboot, blue light blinking continually. Forced hard reset by power removal. Appeared to boot but no "status light", no access via web interface, DS not found by Synology Assistant.
Then I removed the two 2TB hard disks and installed a 250GB blank HD, did a fresh install of DSM 3.2.1922 via SA. DSM 3.2.1922 now appears to be working, but all my data is on the now removed hard disks. So, how can I replace my original hard drives and recover my data? The drives are 2TB and were configured in Synology Hybrid RAID (with data protection). I'm using a Windows 7 computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

swarsh
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DSM 3.2.1922 update failed on DS209

Unread post by swarsh » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:40 pm

Here is an update on my crashed DSM 3.2-1922. I opened a trouble ticket and have been in contact with Synology tech support. I have followed a number of suggestions over the last 5 days, and, while they have attempted to solve the problem, I am still not there. It has been a nightmare. I basically had to remove both (two) 2TB hard disks, install a blank disk (250GB), restore the DS from SA. I then Opened up SSH, hotplugged one of my 2TB hard drives and Synology remoted in to my server and attempted to copy my data to a USB drive. After another day and lots of disk activity, I found that this was not successful. (Some data was copied but the volume restore did not work.) I could boot into my 250GB (temporary) hard drive but if I added my 2TB drive (with the data on it,) it would not boot. Synology's suggestion was that I would have restore my data from backup. At this point I was able to get one of my 2TB disks to boot with DSM 3.2-1922. The other disk had data on it but when plugged in would not allow the DS to boot. I tried to "repair partition"...no success. I tried to "expand volume...no success. I then installed the 2TB disk in a USB drive enclosure. Using my computer, I deleted all the partitions (and all my data) on the 2 TB disk. Then I reinstalled the 2TB disk into my DS209 and expanded the volume over to DISK2. I now have a working(?) DS209 with DSM 3.2-1922 and two 2TB disks in SHR with data protection....but no data and no settings. Then I set up my shares. Then I ran a restore from my localbackup (USB disk). (Thankfully, I had made a backup 2 weeks before, since the data copy done by Synology remote did not include all my data.) After a long time, I have a partially restored DS, about 75% of my data has been restored. I do not know why the restoration did not complete. The DS reported: "Progress of local restoration: Failed. Please refer to the [Backup Log]."
That is where I am now, after a week. I don't know where the Backup Log is located, I am submitting a further request to tech support to see about getting the restoration to complete. Still no idea what caused the crash in the first place. I had updated DSM on several occasions before and this is the first time I had an update fail.

Hondo
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Hondo » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:59 am

Swarsh - I have a DS209 a recently upgraded to DSM3.2-1922 but did it thru the control panel upgrade. I did not have an issue other than I lost my DLNA/uPNP streaming capabilites which is why I posted tonight. See other thread. Hope it is fixed as I love my DS209. Good luck.

cyprids
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by cyprids » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Not that it is anything worth...but I have experienced a similar restore issue on a previuos version of DSM. As I recalled it, the workaround was to restore data in batches instead a complete restore one time...

Regards,

Nik

Return to “DiskStation Manager 3.2 - 1922”