user defined folders in upnp/dlna

A DSM update includes Directory Server, LDAP Client, Remote Folder, Virtual Drive, Syslog Server, Mac OS X Lion Support, Photo Station 5, Google Cloud Print, UPnP Router Support, DSM mobile, CalDAV server, and along with other software enhancements.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
vanMiez
I'm New!
I'm New!

user defined folders in upnp/dlna

Unread post by vanMiez » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:35 pm

hey there

are those user defined directorys actually working? or is there a known bug?

i have my ds211j now for a few days and i am nearly done with copying most of my media to it. after the music stuff was finished i headed up to set up the upnp server and there was the first problem: nowhere was said before that i had to set up first the upnp server and than copy the music files into the created system folder "music"!!! ok... after reading a bit around i found out that the dsm 3.2 beta is able to define custom folders for upnp server and that renaming or moving folders around could cause problems, i decided to go the beta way...

but now i couldn't get those custom folders to work... could somebody please help me?

deerpark
Experienced
Experienced

Re: user defined folders in upnp/dlna

Unread post by deerpark » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:09 pm

It has worked fine for me... so how does the custom folders not work? What have you done so far?

vanMiez
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by vanMiez » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:23 pm

copied my music files from usb device to folders "Musik" and "Kopfkino" which i have created before as shared folders through the control panel. than i added these folders through the mediaserver to the indexed folders, hit re-index and waited until re-indexing is finished (0% cpu usage in resource monitor). and this 3 times... but if i now want to customize the dma menu style of the mediaserver and i want to select another folder than the default one the folders i have indexed won't show up, so i couldn't choose my custom folders...

vanMiez
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by vanMiez » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:28 pm

1) created shared folders "Musik" for music and "Kopfkino" for audiobooks
2) copied everything into these folders
3) first try to set up mediaserver (failed because i wasn't able to use custom folders with dsm3.1)
4) updated to 3.2 beta
5) second try to set up mediaserver (created both shared folders as indexed folders and re-indexed)
6) waited until synoindexd has 0% cpu usage
7) customize dma menu style (folder setting) - failed because "music" is the only folder i can select and the others aren't visible

and that's the step i'm stucking and i have repeated several times... any ideas?

deerpark
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by deerpark » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 pm

vanMiez wrote:1) created shared folders "Musik" for music and "Kopfkino" for audiobooks
2) copied everything into these folders
3) first try to set up mediaserver (failed because i wasn't able to use custom folders with dsm3.1)
4) updated to 3.2 beta
5) second try to set up mediaserver (created both shared folders as indexed folders and re-indexed)
6) waited until synoindexd has 0% cpu usage
7) customize dma menu style (folder setting) - failed because "music" is the only folder i can select and the others aren't visible

and that's the step i'm stucking and i have repeated several times... any ideas?
Ahh I see what you mean. Extra folders you choose to index apparently don't show up in the customize menu. But what about when you browse the DLNA from your media device? The extra folders should show up there. If you have added an extra folder containing music, the folder will show up under the Music top folder.

vanMiez
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by vanMiez » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:40 pm

the folders are empty as expected... because the default "music" folder created by dsm has no content at all. all the content is placed in shared folders created by my self and if i can't get dsm to use these folders for upnp/dlna i will never see any content on my upnp/dlna devices...

moving the content to "music" and choose subfolders as entry point ( i will create different menu styles for music and audiobooks) is probably a solution (haven't tested that yet), but dsm should be able to do it the other, the better way... so i'm searching for a solution, a trick, or the mistake i have done ;-)

another curious thing i have seen now: on my upnp/dlna radio all folders are empty as expected, BUT in the playlist entry there are some playlists and i dont know where they are from, because also for playlists "music" is set as folder which has no content at all... so it seems that you are right by saying even if i can't define my folders under folder settings, dsm will look in all indexed folders with music as content type (which i have set correctly for all my indexed music folders)... BUT: where are my music files?

is there a way to read out a logfile where i can see how far dsm has come to index folders, or where a problem has occured? i know from another musiclibrary, that there were problems with some of my mp3 files in the past because of their embedded covers, but those are all fixed!
Last edited by vanMiez on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

deerpark
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by deerpark » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:43 am

Have you remembered to select a content type for your custom folders, because custom folders show up correctly on my DLNA devices, using dsm 3.2.

vanMiez
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by vanMiez » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:49 am

if you mean the content type of indexed folders: yes its all set correctly.

sorry, just edited my last post exactly as you has replied... thought that this was a missing info, so i've added it there instead of pushing my post count ;-)

al99
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by al99 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:18 am

I have same issue. I can see folders on my PS3 if I use the default (Simple, ipod, Advanced) menus or in the Custom Menu options use the All Folders setting. I cannot setup a custom menu to point to a specific folder in one of the Indexed folders. When I go to choose it (Using By Attributes option for example) it only lists the video folder, not any of the created shared indexed folders.

If you are using a cutomised menu setup only way to see is the By All Folders option.

I don't know if this is a bug or how it is expected to work.

al99
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by al99 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:49 am

What I described above fixed in new beta update. Indexed folders show up and can be selected.

Return to “DiskStation Manager 3.2 BETA - 1869”