Printing in 3.2 with Laserjet 4050 and Win7

A DSM update includes Directory Server, LDAP Client, Remote Folder, Virtual Drive, Syslog Server, Mac OS X Lion Support, Photo Station 5, Google Cloud Print, UPnP Router Support, DSM mobile, CalDAV server, and along with other software enhancements.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
drrevenge
Novice
Novice

Printing in 3.2 with Laserjet 4050 and Win7

Postby drrevenge » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi Guys,

I've seen a few other messages on the forum here relating to printing and issues, and I've put a ticket in with Synology. I thought I'd hit up the forum too, to see if anyone else has had problems.

EDIT: I have a DS411j.

Since I updated to the Beta 3.2, I can't print to my HP Laserjet 4050 Printer which is connected via a USB to Parallel converter cable.

It was previously working on firmware DSM 3.1-1742.

If I try and add the printer as outlined in http://www.synology.com/support/faq_sho ... u&q_id=216 it seems like the printer is not even being presented as a option, as when I search for it on my network, it only displays my files, not my printer.

(This makes me suspect that a service is not running that presents the printer correctly. I imagine it's some linux service, but I'm not sure which one it is as I'm not a linux guru.)

I have tried rebooting the NAS, PC and printer and removing and re-adding the printer to the NAS. The printer can come up in the NAS as 'Available' or as 'Cups', but neither will still present the printer as a option to the network.

Also, the printer settings under advanced settings occassionally do not save them as HP and Laserjet 4050 even though I have previously saved them. They will default back to Apollo / Apollo P-2100.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? I've not loaded the defaults on the unit as yet, so that may be my next option, but I'm hoping I don't have to do that. :)

Cheers.
Last edited by drrevenge on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
EddieZ
Novice
Novice

Re: Printing in 3.2 with Laserjet 4050 and Win7

Postby EddieZ » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:59 pm

My Samsung CLP315 isn't working anymore too (USB connected to DS209+ II). Sporadically it will print, but mostly not. It worked flawlessly on 3.1, only after applying the beta it fails continuously. Not from 1 PC but from all connnected PC's, so it could not have been a change on my PC.

Synology, please check on the implementation of the printserver. My wife will kill me if the printing issue continues... :wink:
drrevenge
Novice
Novice

Postby drrevenge » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update on my issue. It doesn't appear that it's a known problem at this point as Synology have just asked for a debug log. (This I imagine will show what services are currently running.)

I've emailed it off and are now awaiting a response. I'll post on this thread as to any updates I get.
EddieZ
Novice
Novice

Postby EddieZ » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Received an email from Synology that in the final version the issue would be resolved.
I noticed that older print jobs came out during consecutive printjobs, days after the initial print command. Probably something to do with the spooling in CUPS....
drrevenge
Novice
Novice

Postby drrevenge » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:12 am

I got a similar email advising that my file had been passed onto the engineers for the solution to be included in the official release.

Obviously there's no ETA as yet, just a shame can't roll onto a new beta version that's got a fix.

At least we know we helped towards a good release of the final code, and I didn't install a known good release that has a bug. :)
drrevenge
Novice
Novice

Postby drrevenge » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:44 am

Just a update. The issue still remains with the released firmware. I've been working with Synology through two other Beta versions and the released 3.2 firmware.

I've actually had to get Synology to connect into my DS to help fix the issue.

Return to “DiskStation Manager 3.2 BETA - 1869”