Time Machine completed a verification of your backups

A DSM update includes Directory Server, LDAP Client, Remote Folder, Virtual Drive, Syslog Server, Mac OS X Lion Support, Photo Station 5, Google Cloud Print, UPnP Router Support, DSM mobile, CalDAV server, and along with other software enhancements.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
samg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Time Machine completed a verification of your backups

Unread post by samg » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:11 am

In my case both my wife and I backup via wifi.

samg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by samg » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:16 am

Bummer. Did a whole new backup two nights ago. Took about ten hours. Yesterday worked from home all day and it backed up fine every hour. Today went into the office, and when I logged into my user account just know, and it tried to backup, I'm back on this message:
The backup disk image “/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Sam's Macbook Pro.sparsebundle” could not be accessed (error -1).

I'm running 10.7.3 as of last night, and did the macbook pro EFI update at work today, so I'm running all the latest and greatest.

gd11_be
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by gd11_be » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:10 am

Happens both: I had it on my iMac (Network) twice, and on my macBook Pro (Wifi) once.
iMac - 2.8 - i7 - 16GB - Lion / iTouch - 32 GB - iOS 5.0.01
MacBook Air i5 128 GB SSD / MacBook Pro
iPad 16 GB & iPad2 16 GB - iOS 5.0.1
Cambridge Audio Stream Magic / 752 BD / 651R / B&W CM10
Synology DS211 - DSM 5.1- #R2D2 / Synology DS209J - DSM 4.1 - #SkyWalker

wooliudo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by wooliudo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 pm

same issue here, happened a couple of times on both my imac27 and mbp. (both running 10.7.3)

the ds1511+ is running DSM 3.2 - 1955

ethernet or wifi doesn't affect the issue.

though i could successfully rebuild a new backup (550GB, in about 4hours as estimated), it's really annoying and makes the whole point of TM pointless

there're some other weird behaviors as well. sometimes, the same shared folder would be mounted twice(appearing in the sidebar as 2 instances). but in one of them, i can't do any operations to any files or directories. they're properly listed, but once i try to open any files, it told me that the application needed for the operation is not found or something(can't remember exactly). then if I try to open the same file from the other mounted instance, it's working perfectly fine.

hope synology could come up with fixes for it soon.

dgcassidy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by dgcassidy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm having the same issue, repeatedly. I can back up just fine (over wifi or Ethernet) but the backup will fail shortly thereafter. My wife, meanwhile, has had no problems at all. She is using the same kind of MacBook Pro as me, and backs up on wifi 100% of the time.

Data:
  • Synology DS411j / DSM 3.2-1955
    RAID5 array (4 x 2TB HDDs)
    MacBook Pro / OSX 10.7.3 [latest firmware update applied]
This problem is chronic and essentially destroying my main reason for getting a NAS on which to backup my household's systems. I'd REALLY appreciate someone from Synology looking into this.

samg
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by samg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:08 am

So after my last post I contacted support about this. They suggested seeing if I could back up via ethernet. I was skeptical, but tried it out. It backed up fine. The weirdest part - it's been backing up fine via wifi for the few weeks since I tried that. No problems, no error messages at all.

isisyodin
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by isisyodin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:45 pm

Well guys, I was hoping that DSM 4.0 would fix the issue with Time Machine and the corruption of the backup sparsebundle package, but it appears from the posts I have read so far that the problem still exists. Come on Synology, put a bit more effort to fix it. It is after all a documented feature and it should work (wired and wirelssly); time capsule works fine as well as air disks through Apple's Extreme routers, so I dont get it... you guys can do it!

There is a work around; it will cost you nothing during the trial, but $89 USD per computer after the trial is over. I have extended my license a couple of times, so no big deal... havent spent a dime yet. Here is how it works:

First, you have to create iSCSI disk on your Synology (follow the wiki here for using iSCSI protocol)
http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... iskStation

Second, you have to download the iSCSI initiator from here http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/s ... i=11&fi=51
and follow this directions:
http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... _Computers

Third, setup time machine to use your new iSCSI disk space for Time Machine
http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... _Protocols

It will take you around 10 to 15 minutes for the initial setup, but it works flawlessly afterwards. I have my MacBook Pro backup wirelessly with sleep on, have shutdown and put the computer to sleep while backing up, and no corruption whatsoever... the way it's suppose to be! I wish the easy method would work this way.

Good luck.

billysmith
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by billysmith » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:21 pm

I've been having this problem again and again just as most posters describe (can't verify backup integrity message and advised to create a new backup from scratch). I'm currently ignoring it.

- Latest fully patched Lion (whatever that is)
- DSM 3.2-1955

I think Synology should remove the marketing material that states they Time Machine is supported until this matter is fixed, or at least caveat it - IT DOESN'T WORK. Sorry, love my little NAS but I need to know that our two household MacBooks are backed up reliably over wifi - and at present it's not good.

Anyone know anything else I can try as a definitive fix (sounds like DSM4 doesn't sort it either)?

dagrafica
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by dagrafica » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Since i deactivated sleep mode couple a months ago it has not occurred. Try that! Though its a built in function in time machine to continue after wake up - its not working with Synology. The intervall for crashed time machine is about 2 to 3 weeks for me.

isisyodin
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by isisyodin » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:55 pm

billysmith wrote:I've been having this problem again and again just as most posters describe (can't verify backup integrity message and advised to create a new backup from scratch). I'm currently ignoring it.

- Latest fully patched Lion (whatever that is)
- DSM 3.2-1955

I think Synology should remove the marketing material that states they Time Machine is supported until this matter is fixed, or at least caveat it - IT DOESN'T WORK. Sorry, love my little NAS but I need to know that our two household MacBooks are backed up reliably over wifi - and at present it's not good.

Anyone know anything else I can try as a definitive fix (sounds like DSM4 doesn't sort it either)?
did you try using the iSCSI solution I posted? It has been working great for me.

JAFairweather
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by JAFairweather » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:18 am

I have two machines running the same version of OS both backing up over wifi.

The MacbookPro fails all the time (fifth time in three weeks of ownership of ny NAS), the iMac is fine.

I bought this device specifically for this reason and purpose - really disappointed.

I heard great things about Synology, but this is just bumming me out...

JAF

drm31078
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by drm31078 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:21 pm

This just happened to me again...I have spoken to both Applecare and Synology. Applecare says it only supports Time Capsule. Synology says it does not support wireless backup via Time Machine. I posted a quote from Synology support at the link below:

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 59&t=49914

Advertising that DSM supports Time Machine is a scam...should clearly state "supports backup using Time Machine via a WIRED connection". Very disappointing.

gd11_be
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by gd11_be » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:54 pm

ANd it happened again on iMac, and via wired. So I don't think it has anything to do with WIRED versus WIRELESS.

1. (gd11_be - Belgium) - DS211 - iMac - Mid 2010 - Wired network
2. (gd11_be - Belgium) - DS211 - iMac - Late 2010 - Wired network - felt like happened after putting mac to sleep during TM backup
3. (gd11_be - Belgium) - DS211 - MacBook Pro - Late 2010 - Wifi -felt like happened after putting mac to sleep during TM backup[/list][/i]
4. (Date: April 11th 2012) (gd11_be - Belgium) - DS211 - iMac - Wired network

:evil:

drm31078
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by drm31078 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:03 pm

I would urge people to contact synology support with this issue by filling out a synology support form. They are actually pretty quick to respond even though their responses are not what we want to hear thus far. However, the "squeeky wheel will get the oil"...

Support form link:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... hp?lang=us

Return to “DiskStation Manager 3.2 BETA - 1869”