MKV Transcode - nice!

A DSM update includes Directory Server, LDAP Client, Remote Folder, Virtual Drive, Syslog Server, Mac OS X Lion Support, Photo Station 5, Google Cloud Print, UPnP Router Support, DSM mobile, CalDAV server, and along with other software enhancements.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
deerpark
Experienced
Experienced

Re: MKV Transcode - nice!

Postby deerpark » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:00 pm

Oh we totally agree. :)

It's been a while since I gave up on using the PS3 as my media center, there are just too many limitations. I now have both a media center pc running XBMC (imo the ultimate media player) and a WD TV Live for streaming to the bedroom.

But still kudos to Synology for at least trying to make the PS3 a better media player. But I hope they plan on listing the limitations the PS3 has regarding codecs and encoder settings when they mention MKV streaming.
Brain_Death
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Brain_Death » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:06 am

true that! XBMC it truly the best media player software out there. i even would have set it up on an apple tv long ago, but unfortunately the device is just capable of 720p output but i really need 1080p for my sit spacing. so i will wait for the apple tv 2 which will hopefully output 1080p and also is capable of running xbmc after jail braking. in this case i will send my WD TV live into its deserved annuity :)
pumkinut
Trainee
Trainee

Postby pumkinut » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:54 pm

Brain_Death wrote:true that! XBMC it truly the best media player software out there. i even would have set it up on an apple tv long ago, but unfortunately the device is just capable of 720p output but i really need 1080p for my sit spacing. so i will wait for the apple tv 2 which will hopefully output 1080p and also is capable of running xbmc after jail braking. in this case i will send my WD TV live into its deserved annuity :)

You can output 1080p content on the ATV1 if you go a little farther than jailbreaking and installing XBMC. If you either do a thumbdrive install of Linux or repartition/reformat the HDD and install Linux with a full-blown XBMC installation, 1080p is possible. In order to watch 1080p content, you'll need a CrystalHD mini-PCIE card that will take the place of the wi-fi card that's already in the ATV.

I have an ATV1 set up with Linux plus the original OSX default OS. I repartitioned the HDD and installed a minimal installation of Ubuntu via a disk image built by someone on the XBMC boards (Sam Nazarko). It'll handle just about anything my full-blown HTPC running Ubuntu Maverick and XBMC will (Dual Core Pentium with GF9300 GPU and 2GB of RAM).

Anyway, I just installed the 3.2 BETA and am going to test out the re-muxing abilities.
Brain_Death
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Brain_Death » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:23 am

oh, didn't know that! but as for now i am totally happy with my WDTVLive. but thanks anyway!
Rossdale
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Rossdale » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:44 pm

It's great that the PS3 is able to stream mkv's with this update, I hope that Synology will also try and put some effort in achieving the same for the Xbox 360.

Currently I'm trying this through Serviio, but without succes. With this program my DS211j is way to slow to transcode 720p mkv's to my console. Hopefully Synology can find a better solution that can optimise the use of it's resources to stream remuxed HD content without stuttering...

Return to “DiskStation Manager 3.2 BETA - 1869”