Disk 4 DEgraded after Update

A DSM update includes Directory Server, LDAP Client, Remote Folder, Virtual Drive, Syslog Server, Mac OS X Lion Support, Photo Station 5, Google Cloud Print, UPnP Router Support, DSM mobile, CalDAV server, and along with other software enhancements.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
stryke
Trainee
Trainee

Disk 4 DEgraded after Update

Unread post by stryke » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:15 am

HELP!

After updating to 3.2 beta DSM tells me Disk 4 of my RAID 5 is degraded and needs to be replaced.
Before that all status are okay.

Now it seems that the disk in question is 'NOT INITIALISED"!

What should I do?

Please advise.

DS410
4x Seagate Barracuda sata2 1.5TB
Shalom & regards
Stryke

Synology DS410
WD Green 3TB x4 Raid 5

antoiney
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Re: Disk 4 DEgraded after Update

Unread post by antoiney » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:06 am

Greetings,

You may want to check the disk 4 before repairing the volume. Please run an extended SMART test to check if the disk is functional. Just in case, please also help me retrieve your system Kernel Log so we can also check the disk status whist running the test; the way to obtain this log file has written in my signature. You may submit it to the Beta Team for further assistance.

Sorry for your inconvenience.
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel Log ~ Synology eNews

stryke
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by stryke » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:46 am

The SMART TEST does not start for the 'abnormal' disk.

Also I have started repairing the volume.

Its still at 0% progress after 10 mins.

Am I at risk of losing ALL my data?!?!
Shalom & regards
Stryke

Synology DS410
WD Green 3TB x4 Raid 5

antoiney
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Unread post by antoiney » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:27 am

Hi stryke,

The disk 4 is determined as defected. The repair would eventually fail although it's currently running progress. I guess you may have to wait for the process ended itself because of any intervention taken from status quo may cause further damage of the volume. So as soon as the repair has terminated automatically, please hot-swap the disk 4 with another brand new disk and then repair the volume once again.

Let me know if you need any further help.
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images

stryke
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by stryke » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:43 am

Thanks for the advise.

The problem now is that on the market seagate 1.5 TB are no longer in stock. Can I actually use a 2TB from another maker to replace the defective disk?
Shalom & regards
Stryke

Synology DS410
WD Green 3TB x4 Raid 5

antoiney
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Unread post by antoiney » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi stryke,

Yes, please refer to our official compatibility list before purchasing.

CandymanLUX
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by CandymanLUX » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:27 am

I have a similar issue ... in one of my DX1211 I have 12 brandnew 3TB drives ... all were initialized perfectly one week ago ... during the first few days I was copying stuff to it and all went well. However yesterday when the DX1211 'woke' up after hibernation, one of the discs was suddenly in degraded mode as well. Checking the disc showed NO errors. Replugging the disc and the system was able to repair the volume so the disc is fine ... however I turned off hibernation until the final version of DSM 3.2 is out ... this is scary stuff ... it's already bad when you have such incident on a 2-3 bay NAS but with 12 bays ... better have no more than 2 fail (running SHR+2).
Synology DS2415+ / DSM 5.2-5592 Update 4
Synology DS2415+ / DSM 6.0.7274
Synology DS3615xs / DSM 6.0.7274

dzebrys
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by dzebrys » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:21 pm

hi,

similar issue with ds211 and ST32000542AS. during nas writing i got error write to sector
failed and disk1 degraded, status not initialised. after format at another machine and reconnection
it was initialised and seems to be fine. anyhow, during SHR volume repair it fails again this
time definitely. sent to rma. both disk are 3 months old. hope its not software problem with 1869. i've downgraded back to 1354 as have also isses with nfs shares. never ever beta from synology.

regards
piotr

ispgeek
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by ispgeek » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:55 am

First of all there is likely NOTHING involved with the beta update that caused your drives to fail. Two of you above have drives that won't even pass a smart test, this is hardly a software failure. The last one of you states that never ever a Synology beta again...BAH! I have been part of the beta program since I bought my syn box and with every beta sure there were minor annoyances but I have never had a bricked unit nor have my drives failed. I'm going to assume that most of you leave your boxes on all day/night and I would be willing to bet you that more than 75% of you do not have them connected to anything that remotely passes as battery backup. Bad move...all it takes to degrade your volume is a simple 1 2 blink of your power and your volume may degrade and attempt to repair itself. You could totally avoid these things by going down to Compusa and picking yourself up a $40.00 Cyberpower 650va, connect it to your Synology and enable UPS monitoring and you would never have a problem again with fantom degrades that you think are related to you having upgraded to beta fw when in fact the beta has nothing to do with it at all...

dzebrys
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by dzebrys » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:26 pm

hi ispgeek,

my degrade wasn't reason of power failure. i was copying some files to nas
from desktop cdrom and buh. i'm not claiming it's software as seagate accept
rma. but few crashed disks gives to thinking.

the reason to remove beta was network performance and problems with nfs.
that's software. i was unable to mount nfs share using tcp protocol, using
udp it takes me 3 times longer to transfer same file to media player.
after revert it's back to normal.

one more thing, support. thanks a lot for behave as synology do. known issue
with patch available but you have to beg support for it and await a week. in
a week i've done rma in seagate sending them brick back and forth. makabra.

regards
piotr

dzebrys
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by dzebrys » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:35 pm

hi again,

just read annoucement regarding official DSM3.2. last sentence:

- "Synology Hybrid RAID makes volume ready for use 95% faster than before."

i'm eager to check this as voleme rapair for shr 2tb tooks already 4h and 70%
finished on dsm3.0-1354.

br/piotr

Hoogernet
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Hoogernet » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:28 pm

I have the same problem with my NAS DS410. I have also DSM 3.2 and since a shutdown last weekend, I get the message that the volume is degraded. There are some problems with disk 4.

I've tried to repair it, but with no success. The I took the disk from the NAS and put it in another bay and have connected it to my Mac. I've format the disk, did a disk check, but no problems at all. So, I've put the disk back in the NAS and hoped that it was all solved....

The log told me that the volume was successful repaired, but directly after that, it degrades the volume again.

Log results.
System successfully checked consistency of System Volume [Swap].
System successfully repaired [Volume 1] with disk [4].
System starts to repair [Volume 1] with disk [4].
System successfully checked consistency of System Volume [Root].

Please, can somebody help me. I can buy a new WD20EARS disk, but I don't like to spill my money and I'm not sure if that solves the problem (the disk was OK).

Hans Hoogerwerf

Return to “DiskStation Manager 3.2 BETA - 1869”