DSM 4.2, AIRPRINT & wireless connection to Brother HL-2270DW

Got questions on using your printer with our server? Post it here.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
disleyland
Student
Student

DSM 4.2, AIRPRINT & wireless connection to Brother HL-2270DW

Unread post by disleyland » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:49 pm

FYI to all Brother HL-2270DW users,

Long have you wished your wireless printer, which generally does what it says on the tin and is pretty cheap, was compatible with iOS airprint. Sure, you could USB connect it physically to the NAS, but then what was the point of buying a wireless printer?! Mine is in a different room. Alas, it took forever for what is reasonably popular brother networked laser printer to become compatible even with brother's own "print and share" iOS app, but eventually it got on there. Still, what a hassle to print things from your iphone/ipad. And sure you could buy Printopia..on a Mac at least, and use your computer as an airprint server, but what a hassle as well. Wouldn't it be nice if a Synology NAS could provide the missing Airprint capabilities that brother didn't stick in its wireless hardware specs?! Today, with release of DSM 4.2, this possibility has come! Hurray. this FYI is to tell you how to do it.

I went to ctrl panel | devices and printers | add a network printer, and then: stuck in the ip address of the printer (192.168.x.x), Diskstation found it, you then gave it a name (keeping default LPR protocol), and save the setting. You then get option to choose the particular Brother print driver. Now, you won't see the HL-2270DW on that list :( Not to fear i just picked the Brother HL-1xxx or 2xxx that was closest, clicked apply, and prayed while i waited at a popup that tried to communicate with the printer.

In my case, that popup was there a while and popped up saying it couldn't connect. But I could see in the background window that the printer was still added and it said 'online'. so i just cancelled the popup, and checked via the DSM printer manager if it would work. print test page, viola, perfect. Tried to print a Pages document on my iphone, went to printer, it found the new printer created in the airprint compatible list, and printed a perfect reproduction of the document.

And viola, Synology with DSM 4.2 have now made it possible for your nas (ds212+ in my case) to be an airprint server for your wireless Brother printer sans a dreaded USB connection to the NAS.

Great job on this one Synology.

desimaniac
Trainee
Trainee

Re: DSM 4.2, AIRPRINT & wireless connection to Brother HL-22

Unread post by desimaniac » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:45 pm

Thanks a lot. Got it working with my Brother HL-2280DW.

biogon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by biogon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:29 pm

disleyland,

Thanks to your post we purchased an HL-2270DW and got it working on our system with my DS 212j.

If you hadn't posted, I wouldn't have tried it. :)

disleyland
Student
Student

Unread post by disleyland » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:08 am

biogon wrote:disleyland,

Thanks to your post we purchased an HL-2270DW and got it working on our system with my DS 212j.

If you hadn't posted, I wouldn't have tried it. :)
welcome. :D

ril
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by ril » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:23 am

I followed these instructions with my DS213J and Brother HL-2170W to good effect with AirPrint, but Google Cloud Print doesn't seem to be working - the printer does not show up in http://google.com/cloudprint#printers

Does anyone have any insight into this?

HTee
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by HTee » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Can anyone tell me what driver they used for their Brother HL-2280DW? I've tried several and while they do communicate with the printer all that prints is tons and tons of pages with special characters.

Bloggs_J
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Bloggs_J » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:26 pm

HTee wrote:Can anyone tell me what driver they used for their Brother HL-2280DW? I've tried several and while they do communicate with the printer all that prints is tons and tons of pages with special characters.
In theory the DiskStation's Generic PCL6 driver should support your printer flawlessly (see your manual p88 - emulations).
In practice you will probably find that the DiskStation's Generic PCL6 driver is OK for printing most things but if my experience is anything to go by, it will probably make a mess of complex, multi-page PDFs .

drichter012
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by drichter012 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:07 pm

>HTee

What did you end up going with for your HL-2280DW? I just purchased one last night and am setting it up on my DS-213 now...
Dale
------------
DS213 - 2X WD 2tb in SHR
Asus RT-N65U Router

jamals
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jamals » Sat May 03, 2014 11:03 pm

Which driver are you trying ? I tried 2460 and while it does print, content doesn't look same as it is formatted and the green light keeps on blinking after printing finishes?

I thought 2270dw was a popular printer and there would be a driver for that available in Synology printer configuration.

wizardofoz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by wizardofoz » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:55 am

I found this out the hard way before finding this post...I was about to suggest for the HL-2270DW that I also have that using the Brother HL-1270 worked ok for me...with LDP too.

BUT seems to drop offline and then the printer is also inaccessible from other network clients either direct via IP or via synology share.

I'm using DSM 5.0-4493 Update 5 on DS1813+

disleyland
Student
Student

Unread post by disleyland » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:52 am

wizardofoz wrote:I found this out the hard way before finding this post...I was about to suggest for the HL-2270DW that I also have that using the Brother HL-1270 worked ok for me...with LDP too.

BUT seems to drop offline and then the printer is also inaccessible from other network clients either direct via IP or via synology share.

I'm using DSM 5.0-4493 Update 5 on DS1813+

never have any problems with my 2270dw dropping offline. sounds like it might be an issue with your networking setup.

haverchuck
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DSM 4.2, AIRPRINT & wireless connection to Brother HL-2270DW

Unread post by haverchuck » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks. This worked for me today with my DS213j.

Return to “Printer Server”