Airprint not working correctly after iOS 11 Update - FIXED

Got questions on using your printer with our server? Post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
drrevenge
Novice
Novice

Airprint not working correctly after iOS 11 Update - FIXED

Postby drrevenge » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:21 am

Hi All,

Just wanted to share my experience after updating my iPhone 6S to iOS 11. It seems that it changes how airprint functions, if you're using airprint on your network attached printer.

My setup is that I have a HP Laserjet 4050 which has a Jetdirect card to provide ethernet connectivity. I had previously connected the printer to my Synology NAS (in this instance a DS1815+) and was sharing it using airprint and everything was working fine.

I upgraded my iPhones's iOS as mentioned, and it seems that the communication to the printer has now changed. Where as previously, it would automatically print in A4 to the bottom tray (which is the printer default) unfortunately it seems that it now wants to print to A5 to the top tray.

I think it's how to do with iOS's Airprint communication to the airprint driver in the NAS. The issue is obviously with the iOS device, but I'll update this post if I find a fix, incase anyone is interested.

Cheers.
Last edited by drrevenge on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
drrevenge
Novice
Novice

Re: Airprint not working correctly after iOS 11 Update

Postby drrevenge » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:07 am

So it seems that the fix at the moment is to actually disable IPv6. (If your network uses IPv6, obviously this isn't going to work for you.)

By default, IPv6 is set to Auto, so go into Control Panel - Network - Network Interface - IPv6, IPv6 Setup - Off.

I then re-added my printer and tada, printing works again.

Obviously an iOS bug with how it handles IPv6, which hopefully Apple will fix, but for now if you don't have IPv6, there's a definite work around.
WST16
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Airprint not working correctly after iOS 11 Update - FIXED

Postby WST16 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Thank you so much. Your tip fixed my problem with iOS 11 :D
DS216+II ::: APC Back UPS ES 700 ::: Mac user

Return to “Printer Server”