Warning for WD20EARS (60MVWB0) - Users!

An update to DSM3.1 enhancing support for AirPlay, mobile Apps, VPN Center Package and iSCSI stability in virtualization environment enhancements.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Balazs
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Warning for WD20EARS (60MVWB0) - Users!

Postby Balazs » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:54 am

MisterG123 wrote:Okay found a solution to downgrade for users who have any compatibel SATA-HDD which isnt needed and complete free.

- First make a double reset in the 15sec you have until it powers complete down - its enough time and worked for me. After that you can start the DS and it shouldnt power down again.

- Remove all harddisks (perhaps you give them a number for each bay to not forget where they stuck)

- Insert the free compatible SATA-drive and start the DS

- Install latest firmware with the assistant, you have no other choice at all

- After installation login DSM via WebGUI and activate telnet-service under "Terminal" and FileStation

- Create a quick new Volume with the hdd and create a folder called "public" with FileStation

- now download latest Firmware that was working and extract it with 7-ZIP. In the folder you find a file called "VERSION" which you open with text editor and change the build: when you want to install 1613 you change that to 1612 for example. Save the file and upload it into your "public"-folder via FileStation on your DS

- download a telnet-program like Putty, open it, type in the IP of your Diskstation and connect.
- as user-login type in "root" and your admin password
- once you are connected you type in that commands

mv /volume1/public/VERSION /etc.defaults

-close Putty and login via DSM WebGUI again. Now you should be able to install the old working firmware. Perform that and after its finished be sure to make a double reset again (you can check if it worked with the assistant which will show you that the config is lost).

-Power down the DS, remove the harddisk and fill it up with your original harddisk in correct order. Power on, start assistant and now you should be able to install the last working firmware.

It worked for me but i cant give you 100% that it will work for you. All work at your own risk.

MisterG123 wrote:Okay found a solution to downgrade for users who have any compatibel SATA-HDD which isnt needed and complete free.

- First make a double reset in the 15sec you have until it powers complete down - its enough time and worked for me. After that you can start the DS and it shouldnt power down again.

- Remove all harddisks (perhaps you give them a number for each bay to not forget where they stuck)

- Insert the free compatible SATA-drive and start the DS

- Install latest firmware with the assistant, you have no other choice at all

- After installation login DSM via WebGUI and activate telnet-service under "Terminal" and FileStation

- Create a quick new Volume with the hdd and create a folder called "public" with FileStation

- now download latest Firmware that was working and extract it with 7-ZIP. In the folder you find a file called "VERSION" which you open with text editor and change the build: when you want to install 1613 you change that to 1612 for example. Save the file and upload it into your "public"-folder via FileStation on your DS

- download a telnet-program like Putty, open it, type in the IP of your Diskstation and connect.
- as user-login type in "root" and your admin password
- once you are connected you type in that commands

mv /volume1/public/VERSION /etc.defaults

-close Putty and login via DSM WebGUI again. Now you should be able to install the old working firmware. Perform that and after its finished be sure to make a double reset again (you can check if it worked with the assistant which will show you that the config is lost).

-Power down the DS, remove the harddisk and fill it up with your original harddisk in correct order. Power on, start assistant and now you should be able to install the last working firmware.

It worked for me but i cant give you 100% that it will work for you. All work at your own risk.

Hi! And thx for the workaround. Unfortunatelly it doesnt works for me. I can´t even reset the DS411j if any WD20EARS is inside with the 60MVWB0 firmware. With another HDD (which also isn´t on the compatibility list) it works fine.

I can only hope that Synology is working on this, because i gaved up a ticket but i didn´t get an answer untill yet and i don´t think so this answer: "The WD20EARS (60MVWB0) is not on the Compatibility list" would be the real way to handle this problem. The fact is, the system worked fine with this modell before the firmware update (except temperature check, but that was WD´s foul). But now, i can´t even START it or RESET it. So i would like to have a solution to start my synology and a solution to save my DATA.
Thanx
MisterG123
Trainee
Trainee

Postby MisterG123 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:23 pm

Why cant you perform a reset? Isnt it starting at all. Normally and what ive heard until now all user of that harddisk had the problem that the DS starts and powers down 15 seconds after READY-BEEP.

You can push the RESET-Button short time after the fan is rotating more and louder, you should feel that on back of your DS. Then you push the button 10 seconds, it should beep, you release and immediatelly you press again 10 seconds until it beeps two times.

Perhaps you can try the workaround without a reset of the problem-harddisks. All other steps stay the same. Its worth a try i think.

Synology answered to my ticket and offered my to remote-fix the problem which means you must be able to reset your DS to activate telnet for them. I didnt wanted that bevcause i dont want to have my DS with all the sensible data on the web.

2nd offer from them, i should send the whole diskstation in, which i didnt want, too. Because of possible lost of the DS (happens all the time with DHL, UPS and so on).

So there was only 3 things left: find a workaround (in which i succeeded), buy a new hdd with same size to replace the WD one or wait for a new firmware from synology where all is fixed.

But when you even dont get it reseted you will have to send it in or in case you have a RAID in which you can change one harddisk you have to replace the "bad" one.
Balazs
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Balazs » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:28 pm

MisterG123 wrote:Why cant you perform a reset? Isnt it starting at all. Normally and what ive heard until now all user of that harddisk had the problem that the DS starts and powers down 15 seconds after READY-BEEP.

That´s correct.

MisterG123 wrote:You can push the RESET-Button short time after the fan is rotating more and louder, you should feel that on back of your DS. Then you push the button 10 seconds, it should beep, you release and immediatelly you press again 10 seconds until it beeps two times.

Many thx. That was the key. I´ve tried to reset as you can read in Synology-Wiki http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_Reset_the_Synology_System.
So i was waiting untill the 1st beep then i pressed the reset button for like 4-5seconds, but nothing happened. Now i used your methode : "after the fan is rotating more and louder, you should feel that on back of your DS. Then you push the button 10 seconds" which was the key to succeed. Ok. I got your workaround now, i will try it later today. Ich melde mich später :)
MisterG123
Trainee
Trainee

Postby MisterG123 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:51 pm

After a report in german forum there was something changed with the actual firmware and synology sent me a guide for my problem - since i downgraded already to older working firmware i didnt tried that method but perhaps its working for some of you:

1. Download the latest DSM3.1 v.1742 for your model AGAIN! from *Download
Center*: http://www.synology.com/support/download.php?lang=enu
2. Reset DS system by the reset button by this way. It won't erase your
data sotred in DS: http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php
/How_to_Reset_the_Synology_System
3. Install DSM3.1 v.1742 downloaded in step1 again and the issue will be
fixed.

Good luck!
Lupin3d
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Lupin3d » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Please help me...

I reinstalled the firmware using the synology assistant (following the wiki and the support team suggestion) and I didn't know that the assistant was going to format my hard drives....

Now I've lost everything....

There is a way to recover the deleted data?

I'm so upset and I dunno what to do :(
d33g33
Beginner
Beginner

Postby d33g33 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Well... this has bitten me quite hard...

I run the same drives that are having the issues but my 1511+ is reporting a overheating problem after the fireware update?

Anyone else getting this?

Dear user,

NAS reached 61°C and has shut down automatically due to overheating.

Sincerely,
Synology DiskStation
MisterG123
Trainee
Trainee

Postby MisterG123 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:54 pm

d33g33 wrote:Well... this has bitten me quite hard...

I run the same drives that are having the issues but my 1511+ is reporting a overheating problem after the fireware update?

Anyone else getting this?

Dear user,

NAS reached 61°C and has shut down automatically due to overheating.

Sincerely,
Synology DiskStation

Its same or similar problem like all others, temp was readed faulty or even nonne and the DS powers down for self protection. You can use one of the two workarounds for downgrading or "upgrading" to new fixed firmware.

Lupin3d wrote:Please help me...

I reinstalled the firmware using the synology assistant (following the wiki and the support team suggestion) and I didn't know that the assistant was going to format my hard drives....

Now I've lost everything....

There is a way to recover the deleted data?

I'm so upset and I dunno what to do :(

Thats bad, but if you only reinstall firmware there shouldnt be touched any data from you.
I tried so much with the firmwares in the last days, i even installed it several times but my data was never lost or even toched. Are you sure you made all right?

For recovering your data you better look in the forum or open a new thread if there isnst already one, in that case i cant help you because i wouldnt know what to do either - sorry.
d33g33
Beginner
Beginner

Postby d33g33 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:42 am

is it wise to remove the drives before rolling back to an older version of the DSM to ensure the raid stays intact?
danielp
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby danielp » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:40 am

Greetings all,

Recently, Synology has acknowledged that some Users of the DiskStation have experienced start-up or automatic shutdown issues caused by the use of a specific hard drive, WDxxEARS- 60MVWB0.

As widely known on the Internet, this is due to the firmware of the HDD, and DSM is unable to read the hard disk temperature correctly:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/WDC ... d-p/182066

Since we have not tested this particular sub-model with the DiskStation ourselves, it is currently not on our official compatibility list. Please read on for workarounds to this hard disk issue.

Regarding Users who have updated to DSM 3.1-1742 from midnight June 8th to June 10th, 2011 (GMT +8), please follow the procedure below to reinstall the DSM OS. For Users who have updated on or after June 11th, please be aware the DSM HDD Management screen may display an abnormal degree of temperature due to the incompatibility. However, the newer DSM 3.1-1742 update will allow usage of these hard disks and the temperature gauge will only be cosmetic (aside from the inability to read the temperature on this particular sub-model).

Please follow the instructions below very carefully to restore your DiskStation:

1. Press RESET button twice on the back of the actual box.
After about 4 seconds the server should beep once. Immediately release and press the button again to restore the DiskStation back to factory default.

2. Run DSAssistant utility to reinstall the DiskStation from scratch.
Follow the installation wizard and upload the DSM OS as in the installation process.

Edit: You must download our newer update using this link before carrying on this procedure!

Your data will be left untouched, since the installation would only reinstall the system partition of the hard drives. Running the software installation with DSAssistant will not delete the data unless a formatting warning message is presented during the process. In this scenario, please kindly submit an Online Support Form so our technicians may assist you through this procedure.

If you do not see this warning message, you can proceed with the above steps to reinstall the system software. It will take approximately 15 minutes to complete the installation process, and you should be able to access the DiskStation afterward.

Our technicians have already begun testing this hard disk and we will post any updates regarding this issue.

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,
Daniel
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel Log ~ Synology eNews
d33g33
Beginner
Beginner

Postby d33g33 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:26 am

I'm sorry but this wont work on my 1511+

I can only perform the reset if I unplug the 1x 60MVWB0 drive (still have 3x WD20EARS that work fine connected)

I reinstall the 3.1 - 1742 DSM and it will boot with 3 but detects the 4th missing, If I shutdown then slot in the 4th drive (the 60MVWB0) it will make 1 system beep then shut down like before.
inteq
Novice
Novice

Postby inteq » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Same problem here.
I have 5 WD drives, one of which belongs to the problematic series.
I can only reset it with the "faulty" hdd out.
With only 4 HDDs, the NAS works in "degraded" mode.
Reinstalled DSM with all HDDs in. No luck. NAS still shuts down
Reinstalled DSM with 4 HDDs in. Same. NAs still shuts down
antoiney
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby antoiney » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:37 am

Greetings,

Please download the newer update from the official site once again to reinstall the DiskStation.
Let me know if the problem persists afterward.

Sincerely,
Antoine
inteq
Novice
Novice

Postby inteq » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Downloaded again the latest firmware.
Same problem. NAS shuts down.

Please provide the a way to downgrade to the latest working version here, as the opened ticked still has no answer.
d33g33
Beginner
Beginner

Postby d33g33 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:23 am

antoiney wrote:Greetings,

Please download the newer update from the official site once again to reinstall the DiskStation.
Let me know if the problem persists afterward.

Sincerely,
Antoine

No it doesnt work...

Still the same issues on my 1511+
mhecker
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mhecker » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:25 am

Hi guys, you made (and safed) my day by going back to the older 1613 on my DS1511+. Works perfectely fine again.
I tried the newer 1742 today (16/06/2011) and the very same problem like everyone else that the system would shutdown immediately after startup due to apparent overheating problems. I have a number of those disks in question as well.

Synology should offer an option to disable the temp check, particularly if the readings are too unusual to be true.

Return to “DiskStation Manager 3.1 - 1742/1748”