DS918+ and 2 * 8TB WD Red Pro's

Discuss anything related with Western Digital brand hard drives.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
Skar
Experienced
Experienced

DS918+ and 2 * 8TB WD Red Pro's

Postby Skar » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:07 pm

Good afternoon,

I have just taken delivery of the Synology DS918+ and 2 * 8TB WD Red Pro's.

I have failed to install the DSM to either either 8TB drive individually, when in slot 1 and the Synology Setup routine is giving me a Failed to Format Drive (35), when it try's to put the initial DSM on.

I slotted into slot 1 a 2 TB WD RED, which I had spare, and that installed the DSM correctly.

I then slotted in the 2 8 TBs back into slots 2 & 3, neither drives were visible in HDD/SDD area of storage manager.

I took one of the 8TB's and slotted it into a spare bay on my DS2413+, and that didn't see it.

Question 1
Would the 8TB WD RED Pro, be visible in the DS2413+ (I did check the compatibility list and it did say yes).

Question 2
Experience would say that 2 8 TBs borked?

Extra thing, is that the 2 8 TBs drives are really humming in the DS918+ (and in the 2413+), I mean really humming/vibrating. I hadn't expect the difference in noise to be so significant, between the Red Pro (7200) and the Red (5400)

Any suggestions, thoughts would be welcome.
mervincm
Versed
Versed

Re: DS918+ and 2 * 8TB WD Red Pro's

Postby mervincm » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:03 pm

2 drives shipped at the same time could be borked, this would disappoint but not shock me. drive infant mortality related to poor shipping is real. maybe try them in a USB case on your PC before you ship them back for replacement?

Pro reds definitely shake rattle and roll more than the normal reds.
1815+ (factory patched board) 4GB 5x6TB WD RED
Skar
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Skar » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:48 pm

I have agreed to send them back. To be honest, given the packaging it doesn't shock me.

They were in a box with separators, with no outer box, and no foam surrounding the inner box. The disks were resting on the floor of the box.
Skar
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Skar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Question?

When you are using the Synology Assistant to install the DSM, does it matter if it's very upto date ?

So does it need to know about WD RED Pro's 8TBs in it's list of valid drives? I am wondering if my Synology assistant was a year or so out of date, would it know about them, does it even need to know about them?

It saw the disks and knew there were 2 installed on the DSM, and it saw the Synology.
mervincm
Versed
Versed

Postby mervincm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:24 pm

No, Syno assistance version will not matter when it comes to finding the disks.
If you can use it to find the NAS, and it will load the OS remotely, you are golden.
1815+ (factory patched board) 4GB 5x6TB WD RED
Skar
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Skar » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:55 pm

In the end I sent them back and bought 2 non pro WD RED 8TBs.

I assumed that someone had dropped the box and damaged the drives.
Sillyarse
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Sillyarse » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi

I am looking at buying the DS918+ next week. Any feedback on WD RED disk clicking noise using the DS918+?

I have recently bought the QNAP TS-453B and 2 WD RED 8 TB drives.
I have tested both drives using the utility program from WD and they test OK. I dont hear any real noise from them spinning.
However the clicking noise from the read/write process it high, both when connected to the NAS and when connected to laptop via USB mount.

The noise is so annoying that I won't be able to have it connected directly to my TV, not even in a cupboard under the TV. I don't really see the benefit of paying the extra compared to the DS918+ then!

My older WD RED 8 TB drive which I had in an WD EX4100 NAS has the same clicking noise - this setup though wasn't noisy at all compared to the QNAP setup.
Can it be because of the plastic construction of the QNAP? The DS918+ is also plastic, right?

How do you guys find the WD RED 8 TB disk considering this noise?

I read a bit about 8 and 300 second settings but not sure i get it!
Skar
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Skar » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:54 am

To be fair, I don't notice the noise, since I have headphones on in the study, which is where my NASes sit. When I don't have them on, I don't notice, but I have the 8TBs Reds a little while.

Return to “Western Digital Discussion Room”