How to speed up login time (DS Audio and others)

Topics include DS audio, DS photo+, DS video, DS file, DS cloud, DS download, DS cam & DS finder.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
Xaphod
I'm New!
I'm New!

How to speed up login time (DS Audio and others)

Unread post by Xaphod » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:18 am

I like the apps but they take a long time (10+ sec) to log in (im on iOS, iphone 5s and 4s), even on wifi with the synology unit.
What is taking the most time -- is my unit having to spin disks each time? Ie is there something i can do to optimize this?
I have a ds411j at the moment with dsm 5.1 (all spinning disks, no ssds)... Am thinking of upgrading to ds415+, can anyone please comment if they did a similar upgrade and noticed an improvement to log in times?
Thx!

Mistrblank
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: How to speed up login time (DS Audio and others)

Unread post by Mistrblank » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:01 pm

I'm experiencing slow access times as well from the iOS APPs.

Would love to know if there's a way to speed up things.

virnuls
Student
Student

Unread post by virnuls » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:47 pm

You can tell whether it's the discs spinning up by doing a simple test - log in, log out, and log in again before the discs stop. For me, it's worth the wait not to have the discs running all day.

Are you using QuickConnect? That also introduces a delay while the app works out where you are. I find that if the discs are spinning and I use the IP address the logging in is pretty instantaneous with my DS410.

Xaphod
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Xaphod » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:05 am

Thanks for the replies.
I'm aware of the disk spinup impacting time: in my case, i'm complaining about both this AND the delay without it :)
Do more powerful models (ie. DS415+) have enough RAM that disk spin-up isn't required for DS Audio iOS app?

The delay without spin-up is still appreciable: it takes AGES (10s) for my album list to show up, even if it hasn't changed much at all. I just wanna know if this will improve if I upgrade from my old DS 411j to a 415+, but keep the same (spinning) disks...

Xaphod
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Xaphod » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:07 am

... and, sorry, forgot to mention: my DS Audio app is accessing via direct IP (not using any quick connect functionality)

Sharky-PI
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Sharky-PI » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:48 pm

In my experience, connecting to (and often subsequently logging onto) DS apps fails unless:
- Wi-Fi is OFF
- HTTPS is OFF
Once the connection is setup, future logins work with HTTPS on; sometimes I have to keep wifi off then turn it on once the app is logged in. I've send a support ticket to Synology about this. If anyone else does the same (please do) then please quote this thread, as Synology staff admit that while they sometimes browse the forums, they're not encouraged to post.

david.jehoul
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by david.jehoul » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:49 am

Hi,
I'm experiencing a slow login when I use the direct ip. With slow I mean up to 5 minutes or not at all. When I use quickconnect, everything works at normal speed.
Does anybody else have these problems?

anduz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by anduz » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:57 pm

Using DS Audio on Samsung S5 Android 6.0.1 with my DS213j my login times are like:
WIFI to LAN IP - 10s
MOBILE to DDNS - 15s
MOBILE to Quickconnect - 17s

Is this normal?!

freefly
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by freefly » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:38 am

Hi,

i have a DS415+ upgraded from 2 to 8Gb of Ram that make things faster.
My Music Library is about 250Gb and DS Audio on IOS loads within 3sec.

Even if you have a J version with only 512Mb RAM, the box is quite recent, try testing with a IOS App to see if it's related to the Android version.

Regads
Before: DS207+
Current: DS415+ 2x6Tb WD and 1x4Tb for Backup.

Return to “Mobile DS Apps”