Difference between DS Cloud and DS File?

Topics include DS audio, DS photo+, DS video, DS file, DS cloud, DS download, DS cam & DS finder.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
TeflonDog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Difference between DS Cloud and DS File?

Unread post by TeflonDog » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:26 am

What is the real difference between DS Cloud and DS File?
DS112j DSM 5.2-5565
Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001/N
GE-PON(O)C GE-PON-ONU タイフ゜D(1)2 modem
FTTH
ASUS RT-AC68U cat5e
i7-6700k Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI Windows 10 cat6e, PS4 cat5e, Amazon Fire TV cat6e
Sharp Aquos LC-40LX1 cat6e
Google Nexus 6P wi-fi ASUS M80TA-C1-BK wi-fi MacBook Pro wi-fi iPhone 6 wi-fi

ALBINALI
Versed
Versed

Re: Difference between DS Cloud and DS File?

Unread post by ALBINALI » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:00 am

* DS File
- You see all the files in your DS
- not take memory from you mobile just what you download it

* DS Cloud
- You synchronize files or folders you selected in your mobile memory
- take a lot of your mobile memory specially if there is a lot of files in the folder that you selected
- Automatically update the files or folders that you updated in you PC
DS 1512+
DSM 5.0-4458

TeflonDog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by TeflonDog » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:39 am

thanks. i don't see the benefit of DS Cloud. Not too mention it really slows things down.
DS112j DSM 5.2-5565
Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001/N
GE-PON(O)C GE-PON-ONU タイフ゜D(1)2 modem
FTTH
ASUS RT-AC68U cat5e
i7-6700k Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI Windows 10 cat6e, PS4 cat5e, Amazon Fire TV cat6e
Sharp Aquos LC-40LX1 cat6e
Google Nexus 6P wi-fi ASUS M80TA-C1-BK wi-fi MacBook Pro wi-fi iPhone 6 wi-fi

ALBINALI
Versed
Versed

Unread post by ALBINALI » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:40 pm

It will really be helpful if they just sync the folders and file names and let us choose what we download 8)
DS 1512+
DSM 5.0-4458

Jeremie
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Unread post by Jeremie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:45 am

@Albinali, TeflonDog,

Just to complement about the fact that DS cloud sync "everything", and takes up more storage on the phone: you have "options" available for each folder synced, in there you can specify a "max file size limit", as well as exclude file types.
For example, you can avoid syncing videos (as there often heavy and you may not actually need them) as well as any file larger than 50MB.

Don't hesitate to send us your suggestions about this aspect.

Thanks.

ALBINALI
Versed
Versed

Unread post by ALBINALI » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Jeremie wrote:@Albinali, TeflonDog,

Just to complement about the fact that DS cloud sync "everything", and takes up more storage on the phone: you have "options" available for each folder synced, in there you can specify a "max file size limit", as well as exclude file types.
For example, you can avoid syncing videos (as there often heavy and you may not actually need them) as well as any file larger than 50MB.

Thanks.
Dear Jeremie,

Thank you for your explaining the DS cloud and the options that your tell as about it but the problem if i keep the sync with the files size around 1MB so in this case any file over than 1 MB will not shown in my phone right ? so what do you this if there is an option that even if there a files more than 1MB apper in the list without sync to safe the space and when i click on it i choose sync this file manually ??
and i wish to have option to creat a link share like that amazing available in the DSM file station 8)

Thank you again for trying to clear thing for us :)
DS 1512+
DSM 5.0-4458

Jeremie
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Unread post by Jeremie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:50 am

ALBINALI wrote:
Jeremie wrote:@Albinali, TeflonDog,

Thanks.
Dear Jeremie,

Thank you for your explaining the DS cloud and the options that your tell as about it but the problem if i keep the sync with the files size around 1MB so in this case any file over than 1 MB will not shown in my phone right ? so what do you this if there is an option that even if there a files more than 1MB apper in the list without sync to safe the space and when i click on it i choose sync this file manually ??

=>I might be misunderstanding your reuquest: you need to sync/unsync "by file" directly, or simply have them appear without being synced to the device?

and i wish to have option to creat a link share like that amazing available in the DSM file station 8)
=>Well noted

Thank you again for trying to clear thing for us :)

ALBINALI
Versed
Versed

Unread post by ALBINALI » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Jeremie wrote: =>I might be misunderstanding your reuquest: you need to sync/unsync "by file" directly, or simply have them appear without being synced to the device?
[/quote]

Hello Jeremie,

My request is to have the files appear without being synced and if one of this files i need it in my mobile i click on it and select sync this file.
i hope it is more clear now :)
DS 1512+
DSM 5.0-4458

Spellman
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Spellman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:45 pm

Today is 6/19/2018.

I am in the same boat.

What we want is a app like Dropbox. We can see all files (file names, to be exact) on the mobile device. If we want to open it, we can click that file and preview it online. If we want to open it offline, we can download it to the mobile device.

Actually, looks like the DS file is what I need. :D

telos
Ace
Ace

Unread post by telos » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:19 pm

Spellman wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:45 pm
Today is 6/19/2018.

I am in the same boat.

What we want is a app like Dropbox. We can see all files (file names, to be exact) on the mobile device. If we want to open it, we can click that file and preview it online. If we want to open it offline, we can download it to the mobile device.

Actually, looks like the DS file is what I need. :D
Yes... that is what DS File does well.

Return to “Mobile DS Apps”