Which tool to use?

Topics related to Backup and Restore features.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
rpwoodman
Trainee
Trainee

Which tool to use?

Postby rpwoodman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi,

Dumb question probably. :oops:
I've just upgraded my DS713 to DSM6; I'll upgrade my DS1515 in a couple of weeks once I'm happy with the DS713.

I'm puzzled as to which backup package I should be using. There is CloudStattion, HiDrive and HyperBackup (Glacier is understood)!

I want to backup files from PC to Synology and Synology to Synology. Can I just use one of these?

Thnanks
akahan
Skilled
Skilled

Re: Which tool to use?

Postby akahan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:56 pm

To back up from PC to Synology, you would install Cloud Station Server on the Synology, and Cloud Station Backup on the PC.
Note that Cloud Station Backup is not the same as Cloud Station Drive.

In Cloud Station Backup, you can pick specific folders on the PC that you want to back up to the Synology. When you change/add/delete a file in one of the selected folders, the change will be reflected on the Synology.
The Synology will permit version control as well, so you can keep multiple versions of files that change.

To back up from one Synology to another, you use Synology Hyperbackup.
rpwoodman
Trainee
Trainee

Postby rpwoodman » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:03 pm

Many thanks Akahan. Think I've got that. :-)

Rgds
bsheep
Trainee
Trainee

Postby bsheep » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:52 pm

akahan wrote:To back up from PC to Synology, you would install Cloud Station Server on the Synology, and Cloud Station Backup on the PC.

In Cloud Station Backup, you can pick specific folders on the PC that you want to back up to the Synology. When you change/add/delete a file in one of the selected folders, the change will be reflected on the Synology.
The Synology will permit version control as well, so you can keep multiple versions of files that change.

My understanding of Cloud Station Server/Client is that it's just mirroring your PC on the Synology. So if a file gets deleted or corrupted on the PC, then the same thing happens on the NAS. It's not recoverable from the NAS. That's not really a backup.

If I'm wrong, please do correct me. If I'm right then it's not actually a backup. It's not useful to restore lost and corrupted data and information, or going to older versions of files, which is what 99% of people want backups for.
akahan
Skilled
Skilled

Postby akahan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:25 am

Cloud station will retain prior versions of each file. So if something gets corrupted on the PC, you can restore a prior, uncorrupted version from the backup.
syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby syno.dustin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:47 am

bsheep wrote:
akahan wrote:To back up from PC to Synology, you would install Cloud Station Server on the Synology, and Cloud Station Backup on the PC.

My understanding of Cloud Station Server/Client is that it's just mirroring your PC on the Synology. So if a file gets deleted or corrupted on the PC, then the same thing happens on the NAS. It's not recoverable from the NAS. That's not really a backup.

If I'm wrong, please do correct me. If I'm right then it's not actually a backup. It's not useful to restore lost and corrupted data and information, or going to older versions of files, which is what 99% of people want backups for.

Cloud Station Backup has an option to specifically not delete files from the NAS if they're deleted locally. That's on top of the versioning. To repeat: Cloud Station Drive and Cloud Station Backup are not the same thing.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.
Amadeus1756
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Amadeus1756 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:44 pm

Good extra info- thanks all
imcon
Experienced
Experienced

Postby imcon » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:58 pm

I do not think taht there was a good answer of the question. rpwoodman wrote that he want to backup data from PC to Syno and then from the Syno to another Syno.
Syno1 to Syno2 is clear - HyperBackup and you will have the real backup on Syno2.

But how to backup data from PC to Syno1, or at least how to mirror them to Syno1 (to be backuped to Syno2) is not clear and now it is probably not possible if you want to use Synology tools only. Synology stop to support backup from PC when they stop to develop Synology Data Replicator.
Now Synology provide for PC only Cloud Backup (or Cloud Drive), which is not real backup. It can be used as backup for a home ussage when you do not have too complicated datastructure or for a really small business. It can not be considered as backup for anybody who needs to work with the backuped data (browse them, search, to have time snapshots of folders, check differences between snapshots,...) - this is confirmed by Synology support. The reason is:

1. Cloud Backup is not suitable to backup any big files which changes often (typically databases, files with mails, etc...) - at the moment there is no tool from Synology to do the backup or to synchronize to Synology (to do backup there)

2. Cloud Backup (and Cloud Drive too) keep history of changes. But there is no way how to easily browse the history to compare changes in directories - really needed in business environment.

3. Cloud Backup (and Cloud Drive too) allows to recover deleted files. But it is more for fun then for real ussage. Imagine that you have hubdreds of files with the same name in your datastructure. Many of then are deleted when you work. And then some is deleted accidentaly. The file is there - but - there is no way how to locate it (select it) because you can see many the same filenames and you do not know which one is the one you need to recover.

4. There is no way how to recover whole directories with Cloud Backup (and Cloud Drive too). Absolutely must for real ussage.

Synology is developing another system of backup, which is nice, but it will be available only for more expensive models probably.

If anybody know how to Backup (or synchronize) databases (or big files as in 1.) just with Synology tools please let me know. I would like to use just Synology tools not any third party swoftware.
RT2600at / DS715 /DS210+ / DS209+II / DS107
Cangoou
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Cangoou » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:35 am

I started using
https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint- ... -free.html
which is free and works fine on my syno.

Return to “Backup and Restore”