No internet through VPN?

Discussion room for Synology VPN package in DSM 3.1-1725 or above.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
gcraenen
Trainee
Trainee

No Internet connection through VPN?

Postby gcraenen » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Hello,

I've setup the VPN server with PPTP protocol, since I cannot get the others to work on my network (ports for L2TP/IPSec are taken by iCloud services and cannot be rerouted). I can connect to the VPN when away from home through Inet and the VPN connection (iOS and OS X) and go to servers and services on my local LAN. But when I try to connect to Internet for browsing, email or Netflix I'm getting the errors that I'm not connected to the Internet. It seems that the VPN Server cannot use my Internetconnection from local LAN.

I searched and tried to find more information on this in the forum but cannot find any references. Does anybody recognise this and knows how to solve it? What I need is connection to the Internet from my local LAN when away from home and connecting through VPN.

Thanks in advance
belfastroadster
I'm New!
I'm New!

No internet through VPN?

Postby belfastroadster » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:13 am

Hello,

I have successfully set up my VPN on DiskStation 212+ (v5-4493 upd5) through an Apple Time Capsule router and configured a connection from my iPhone 6 (iOS8.0.2).

The iPhone is happy that the connection is made as the "VPN" icon appears at the top of the screen but theres no internet activity at all.

Any ideas what I might have missed? I assume the issue is on the DS configuration.

Many thanks.
rfernand
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: No internet through VPN?

Postby rfernand » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:11 pm

I am having the same issue, I can connect to the VPN via PPTP and L2TP, and I get the VPN icon in my iPhone. However, I can't access anything on the internet. That being said, I can ssh into the Synology once I am connected to the VPN. Furthermore, I have tried connecting in with a friend's wifi and my cellphone service.

Any help?
cladand
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby cladand » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:35 pm

Me too.
Someone can help?
rfernand
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby rfernand » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:50 am

I figured it out. Synology's web system has a bug but its easy to work around. The vpn server is giving clients the Synology's IP address as DNS. That doesn't make sense because there is no DNS running in my Synology. The work around is to check 'Use manual DNS' and enter either your router's IP address or Google DNS's IP address (8.8.8.8 ). The web configuration tool should automatically detect that there isn't a DNS running and use either of those two options.
Canters
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Canters » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:50 am

rfernand wrote:I figured it out. Synology's web system has a bug but its easy to work around. The vpn server is giving clients the Synology's IP address as DNS. That doesn't make sense because there is no DNS running in my Synology. The work around is to check 'Use manual DNS' and enter either your router's IP address or Google DNS's IP address (8.8.8.8 ). The web configuration tool should automatically detect that there isn't a DNS running and use either of those two options.

This also did the trick for me. Thanks.
robertj2000
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby robertj2000 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:38 pm

rfernand wrote:I figured it out. Synology's web system has a bug but its easy to work around. The vpn server is giving clients the Synology's IP address as DNS. That doesn't make sense because there is no DNS running in my Synology. The work around is to check 'Use manual DNS' and enter either your router's IP address or Google DNS's IP address (8.8.8.8 ). The web configuration tool should automatically detect that there isn't a DNS running and use either of those two options.

I'm having trouble with this, too. Where do I enter the "Use Manual DNS"? I tried it through the Control Panel\Network\General: "Manually configure DNS server" but it didn't help. I didn't see any DNS settings in the VPN module.
AlasBabylon
Trainee
Trainee

Postby AlasBabylon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:44 pm

robertj2000 wrote:

I'm having trouble with this, too. Where do I enter the "Use Manual DNS"? I tried it through the Control Panel\Network\General: "Manually configure DNS server" but it didn't help. I didn't see any DNS settings in the VPN module.

Did you ever find the control panel for this? I cant find it either.

Return to “VPN Server”