Open VPN Setup Synology?

Discussion room for Synology VPN package in DSM 3.1-1725 or above.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
SynoG1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Open VPN Setup Synology?

Postby SynoG1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:15 am

I am looking at VPN solutions, but am new to Synology and VPN in general. I am not doing anything illegal or in a country where I can’t use the web for basic things. All I am looking to do is when I am traveling, have a VPN that allows me to setup a secured connection via my MacBook, iPad, or iPhone when connecting through a public WiFi at a hotel or coffee shop. It sounds like an OpenVPN server setup on a Synology drive can work.

If I have a Synology DS216+II NAS, connected to a Netgear router and Motorola cable modem, and Time Warner internet, can an OpenVPN be setup that allows me to do what I am looking to do? Is having an OpenVPN setup through my Synology setup compromising other data on the drive or security otherwise? Is there anything else I should be aware of? I don’t know if TimeWarner will allow for a static IP or not with my setup which I’m curious if this is an issue as well.

My thinking here is I kind of need a backup solution anyways that works with TimeMachine, and I also don’t have a VPN setup and figured this accomplishes a few things including duplicating my drive through a raid 1 setup.

Appreciate the help. Figured I would spell out what I am trying to do and get some answers before buying.

Return to “VPN Server”