Lightroom Export Plugin: PhotoStation Upload

Questions about the Synology Photo Station can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
flingo
Sharp
Sharp

v6.1.7: Bugfix for video upload (Umlaut issue), support for ffmpeg V3.2.2

Unread post by flingo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:47 am

Version 6.1.7 in conjunction w/ ffmpeg version 3.2.2 solves an issue where videos could not be uploaded when your Windows (and maybe also for Mac) username includes an umlaut or other non-ascii characters. The issue is caused by the ffmpeg version 1.2.1, which is part of the Synology Photo Station Uploader installation.

If you experience this issue you will have to update both ffmpeg and the Photo StatLr plugin. Photo Statlr v 6.1.7 is now compatible with ffmpeg v1.2.1 and v3.2.2.
It will also copy the ffmpeg output to the logfile in case of an ffmpeg related error, so it's easier to chase such bugs.

Besides that v6.1.7 fixes an issue where GPS metadata within an iPhone video would not be exported to Photo Station.

Martin

PeterMcC
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Lightroom Export Plugin: PhotoStation Upload

Unread post by PeterMcC » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:37 pm

I'm experiencing a bit of strange behaviour with the plugin. I have published two images to the same folder on the DS. The first has a file name: 7D-IMG_2096.CR2 and the second: G9-IMG_2096.JPG. These files had been renamed in Lightroom due to the fact that they would otherwise have created a filename conflict. The original file names were: IMG_2096.CR2 and IMG_2096.JPG. Somehow the original filename is significant in that on the publish i get the following info in the logfile:

16:21:31, INFO : Get ratings/metadata: All photos/2010/12/IMG_2096.jpg - title changed from 'Lounge' to 'Diving into the snow!', rating 5 removal ignored, done, 1 rejected changes, Re-publish needed.

So the title of the 7D... image was changed to the title of the G9 ... image, and therefore the rating was rejected. I have 20k photos published to my diskstation and due to having used many cameras over the years there are many duplicate original filenames. The publishing is creating havoc with my metadata.

Is this something that can be corrected?

Peter

flingo
Sharp
Sharp

Unread post by flingo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi Peter,
it can be corrected by yourself.
All photos/2010/12/IMG_2096.jpg
This shows the remote name of the photo at the time it was published. You probably ran into the recordPublishedPhotoUrl error (https://github.com/flingo64/PhotoStatio ... hedPhotoId) with these photos before and so you ended up with two different photos having the same (old) remote filename. When you download the ratings/comments the plugin looks for the stored remote filename for each photo in the collection. Now, one of the two photos will be be bound to the wrong one.

The problem is that Lr does not notify the plugins when a filename was changed locally after publishing. So, you need to republish the respective photos to make sure they all have the proper remote names afterwards.
The publishing is creating havoc with my metadata.
It's not the publishing (upload) of the photos but the optional metadata download that will shuffle your metadata in the above named scenario. Another option would be to disable the metadata download in the collection settings to circumvent this as long as you're not sure there might be more duplicates.

PeterMcC
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by PeterMcC » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:50 am

Yes, you are right (as usual :)). I did run into that error, and that is why I renamed my images: to avoid future duplicates.

I marked an entire folder to republish, and then published. The result is, out of 62 images in the folder, 19 published correctly, and 43 are in the Modified Photos to Republish category. The log file shows rejected metadata for them. So, I'm still a bit confused. Should I just publish them again. I need to think out an approach for this. I have 20k images, and it would be a big job to republish them all; but an equally big job to try to find the ones with duplicate original filenames.

Your advice is appreciated.

Peter

flingo
Sharp
Sharp

Unread post by flingo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:31 am

Hi Peter,
the fact, that the 43 photos are in state 'To re-publish' is the consequence of the rejected metadata synchronisation during download phase of your last Publish job. Photo StatLr wants to tell you: these 43 photos are not in sync with their published version, re-publish them to get them in-sync again.
Before you do so, I would suggest to disable the download metadata options completely for the published collections, so that you won't shuffle the metadata again. You may re-enable it when your done with the procedure described below.

To figure out which of your published photos have the wrong (old) remote filename, mark all published photos to republish and publish them with publish mode "CheckExisting". This is a quite fast operation and will leave photos with a wrong remote filename as unpublished and those with the correct remote filenam as published. At last you'll have to republish the unpublished photos w/ mode Upload and you're done.

PeterMcC
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by PeterMcC » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks again. That's wonderful.

Peter

flingo
Sharp
Sharp

v6.2.0: Added {LrRM:key} metadata placeholder

Unread post by flingo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:15 pm

Version 6.2.0 adds a new metadata placeholder {LrRM:\<key\> \<extract pattern\>} to retrieve (an extract of) any metadata supported by Lightroom SDK: LrPhoto - photo:getRawMetadata(key)<br>
This placeholder was introduced in particular to support the following features:
- {LrRM:uuid} may be used in 'Rename to' to retrieve a unique, fixed, never changing identifier for any photo in the Lr catalog
- {LrRM:stackPositionInFolder ^1([^%d]*)$|?} may be used in 'Rename to' to prevent the upload of any photo burried in a stack (not the top-most photo in a stack)

For more information consult https://github.com/flingo64/PhotoStatio ... efinitions

@Peter,
{LrRM:uuid} is another solution for your problem: if you append the uuid of the photo to its local filename on upload via the 'Rename to:' setting, you don't need to rename your photos (with duplicate names) locally.

Martin

PeterMcC
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by PeterMcC » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:50 pm

Thanks Martin. The Stack Position placeholder sounds particularly useful, as when I have bracketed exposures in a stack, I don't want to publish the full stack. At present I do this by giving all images in a folder the keyword DoNotPublish then collapse the stacks, select all and remove the keyword. This allows me to publish only the top of stack photos. All very long winded, but if I figure out how to use the stackPositionInFolder I can make it automatic. :)

flingo
Sharp
Sharp

Unread post by flingo » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi Peter,
here is some more info on it:
https://github.com/flingo64/PhotoStatio ... /issues/18

Anyway, you shouldn't be to enthusiastic about it. At the end of the day,it's a good means to identify photos burried in stacks, but as most people typically don't like to have unpublished photos in their collection, you probably will end up with tagging the identified photos as you do it today.

Martin

PeterMcC
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by PeterMcC » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Hmmm.

So I have put all my photos into one smart publish collection using {Date %Y/%m} for the target album and renaming the photos with {LrFM:fileName (.+)%.%w+}-{LrRM:uuid} in order to have unique names. I am, however, still running into problems with the publish. I am getting the error recordPublishedPhotoUrl: must be called after recordPublishedPhotoId many times in the publish. Also ... even though I am not downloading the metadata in the publish I am still left with about 25% of the images in the Modified to Republish state. I thought the use of Lr's UID would have solved these problems.

As you thought I'd rather not use the depth in stack method as it leaves unpublished photos. Too messy.

Peter

flingo
Sharp
Sharp

Unread post by flingo » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:43 pm

Did you consult the logfile? Re-publish all with mode "CheckExisting" and see which photos are critical. Try to figure out if they still have duplicate remote names. If this is the case, then I would suggest to make a consistency check on the catalog.

Otherwise send me the logfile: photostatlr@messmer-online.de
I'll be offline the next days.

Merry Xmas,
Martin

marksd100
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by marksd100 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:32 am

Considering using this plugin - sounds like a lot of great work into it. Currently I sync my Lightroom local files (with catalog configured with "Automatically write changes into XMP") to my Diskstation via Cloud Station Drive. The Disktation folder is mapped to PhotoStation. I assume PhotoStation will read the XMP files created by Lightroom - have several days to wait for the indexing to finish.

How does this solution, when using Publish option, differ?

-- Mark

flingo
Sharp
Sharp

Unread post by flingo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:42 am

Using your current method you will always see the original version of your photos in Photo Station, none of the development steps (cropping, toning, retouche,...) will be reflected in the photos you view via Photo Station, because Photo Station cannot interpret those steps stored in the xmp section of the photos.

Using the Photo StatLr Publish method has several advantages:
  • you may publish original or developed photos
  • thumbnails will be generated on the fly by the plugin on your PC, not on the diskstation. This will speed up the PS indexing enormously
  • you may define smart published collections to include/exclude photos based on certain criteria
  • ... see Readme
This all comes at the cost of maintaining two photo stores: one for the original version (Lr) and one for the developed version (Photo Station). Lr's publish method is doing a great job tracking photos that need to be published / re-published but at the end of the day you will have to click the "Publish" button manually to keep your Published Collections in sync.

marksd100
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by marksd100 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:03 pm

Thank you for the comparison. That last step "click the Publish button manually" is the hard part to adopt. Not taking anything away from the tool which is really impressive. It is limited to the paradigm set up by LR. I'm doing well if 2-3 times a year I purge and develop my pictures (gazillion kid pictures).

I'm also mixing two goals together, backup of all original files (including XMP) to Diskstation and publishing for using by Photostation. If PhotoStation utilized the XMP files, that would meet my goal.

-- Mark

PeterMcC
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by PeterMcC » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:15 pm

I have a question about removing photos from a smart publish collection.

I have a publish collection that selects photos from my catalogue based on certain criteria. One of these criteria, for example, is that they should not have a rejected flag. If I set the rejected flag on a photo it disappears from the collection but is not marked for deletion on PhotoStation. I think it will therefore remain there.

Is there a way to remove from PhotoStation any photos that have been published previously but are not in the smart collection now?

I have a feeling that this used to be handled OK but doesn't seem to work now. But I could be wrong.

Kind regards
Peter

Return to “Photo Station”