Questions about the "conversion" process

Questions about the Synology Photo Station can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu



2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
User avatar
kkoetter
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:59 am
Location: Vancouver, BC CA
Contact:

Re: Questions about the "conversion" process

Postby kkoetter » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:42 pm

cplai... any thoughts on what 'Cloud Station Client' might do with items in the @eaDir folder..?

I recently purchased a DS415+ to replace my DS212+, with the intent of using the DS212+ as an off-site backup. I installed Cloud Station Client on the DS212+, and set it up to sync the /photo, /video, and /music shared folders. Everything went well as far as the sync goes. Unfortunately, the DS212+ is now in index/convert mode. My concern is, if Cloud Station is syncing between the DS415+ and DS212+, does it ignore the @eaDir folders..? I suspect (and hope) it does. If not, then I would be concerned about an infinite loop where the DS415+ @eaDir folders get synced over to the DS212+, which indexes/converts them with new @eaDir folders, which get sync'd back to the DS415+, and so on.

I would hope the s/w designers at Synology are not that stupid, but it is impossible to find a white paper on the subject, or to get someone at Synology to explain what is happening (even an explanation on what indexing/converting actually is or your findings around @eaDir folders have zero explanation from Synology).
DS415+ : DSM 5.2 : 2 x 3TB Seagate NAS RAID 1
DS212+ : DSM 5.2 : 2 x 3TB Seagate NAS RAID 1
D-Link DIR-880 / MacBook Air 13" OS-X El Cap / HP Folio 9740m Win7-64 / HP Z400 Win7-64 / iPad Air / iPhone5s
ShanghaiKnight
Novice
Novice
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:44 pm

Re: Questions about the "conversion" process

Postby ShanghaiKnight » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:31 pm

When I log into the Web App for Photostation, and I edit the system preferences, under "Settings" and "Photos" There is an option to edit "Conversion Settings."

It appears that I can enable and disable conversion settings for Thumbnails and for Videos.

I'd start by looking here... Seems pretty straight forward.

Wish I could enable conversion for only some types of thumbnails, and also keep video conversion OFF...
DS213j
sbsmithjax
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: Questions about the "conversion" process

Postby sbsmithjax » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:43 pm

I wanted to share this information from a Synology Technician chat session I was on, about this topic:


stephen smith 04:37:38 pm

Greetings, I am a professional photographer, and have 100K photo that I am transferring to my new 214play. It currently states that it is "converting them"
I'm not sure what that indicates, and I want to make sure that the original JPG and RAW files are not actually being changed in any way? Can you elaborate.


Matt Wi 04:38:39 pm

The system is creating thumbnails for use within Photo Station. It should not be affecting the actual files themselves.


stephen smith 04:39:08 pm

Great. Would that be the case for videos and movies also?


Matt Wi 04:40:07 pm

Only if they are within the "photo" folder (though this is also the case for photos), any other shared folder and it shouldn't be doing the thumbnails, as Photo Station only looks in the default "photo" folder
Ubernoob
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:10 pm

Re: Questions about the "conversion" process

Postby Ubernoob » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:48 pm

Just a word of warning to users wanting to upload their photo library to Photo Station. I used the Photo Station uploader (as opposed to just dropping the photos in the appropriate folder on my NAS). Unfortunately the uploader DID change the filename of the images. This screwed up my Lightroom catalogue (as it could not find the filename it was looking for). It was not down to the library being moved from local to a NAS (that's an easy fix as you can point it to the new NAS location) - it was down to all the filenames being changed. I don't want to cause too much alarm, as this only happened from using the Photo Station uploader. Had I allowed the NAS to index the photos the names would not have changed. My error was I did not uncheck the box that says "RENAME FILES WITH TAKEN TIME".
JustAnotherSysAdmin
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Re: Questions about the "conversion" process

Postby JustAnotherSysAdmin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:02 am

Wish there was more mangement options for the conversion que as well as a conversion log, many times i find my syno box very sluggish hung on a few large 700mb+ tiffs that were accidentally exported to area of disk space not intended for file conversion. though DSM6 does have a pause indefinitely option to any particular conversion task, it would be helpful to see the filenames and paths of the images processing, pending or processed to streamline resource issues caused by large conversion tasks

*PROTIP: log into photo station module as user with in admin priledges > right click any album (subfolders in the /photo directory > edit album properties > check the checkbox "disable conversion for this album" to disable all future conversions for photos places into any root subfolder (including child directories?) in the /photo directory
Johnmg
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:01 am

Re: Questions about the "conversion" process

Postby Johnmg » Fri May 26, 2017 2:09 am

It is now 2017. I just got 2 NASs recently. I agree 100% with the rest of you guys. I do not like the terms used throughout some of the Synology apps. I too am worried that my original files are being "Converted". In another app on IOS Synology used the word "Select". I would use the work "Past" instead. I think it might be a Language translation or culteral thing, just a guess.
Even if my Original files are not being altered I also don't video files being created that will take up a ton of extra space.
I want the video to be converted on the fly.

John

RGibson69 wrote:I am still unclear on how/why the term "converted" is being used. To me, CONVERTED means the ORIGINAL is CHANGED.

If the originals are untouched, but additional files are being ADDED, like thumbnails, previews and down-sampled versions of video clips, some other term needs to be applied...perhaps "Indexing media files," or "Creating thumbnails & previews," or some other more accurate term...? When I saw that DiskStation was "converting" all of my media files, I just about blew a gasket!
Johnmg
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:01 am

Re: Questions about the "conversion" process

Postby Johnmg » Fri May 26, 2017 2:18 am

BTW: I have been converting files on Photo Station for about 1 day or so and I am up to about 38%. 2.3TBs of files to go through. I have the DS416Play NAS. I do have the convert for Mobile devices checked. I don't know whether to check this option or not to check this option? I am using an iPad Pro 12.9". To view and edit my Photos and Videos.

John

Johnmg wrote:It is now 2017. I just got 2 NASs recently. I agree 100% with the rest of you guys. I do not like the terms used throughout some of the Synology apps. I too am worried that my original files are being "Converted". In another app on IOS Synology used the word "Select". I would use the work "Past" instead. I think it might be a Language translation or culteral thing, just a guess.
Even if my Original files are not being altered I also don't video files being created that will take up a ton of extra space.
I want the video to be converted on the fly.

John

RGibson69 wrote:I am still unclear on how/why the term "converted" is being used. To me, CONVERTED means the ORIGINAL is CHANGED.

If the originals are untouched, but additional files are being ADDED, like thumbnails, previews and down-sampled versions of video clips, some other term needs to be applied...perhaps "Indexing media files," or "Creating thumbnails & previews," or some other more accurate term...? When I saw that DiskStation was "converting" all of my media files, I just about blew a gasket!
Ozzig
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Questions about the "conversion" process

Postby Ozzig » Fri May 26, 2017 9:36 am

It's not just the wording that gets me, it's what it's actually using to report what's being "converted"

As I type, my DS211j is "converting" 311 images and is 53% through
24 hours ago it was 304 and 51% through - no new images have been uploaded!
Prior to that, I updated yesterday and before the restart, it was around 250 and 50% and had taken about 12 hours to get there.

Where are the new images coming from ????

If it takes about 12 hours to do 50% of 250 that about 1 image every 6 minutes...
Over the last 12 hours, it's gone from 51% of 301 (154 images) to 53% of 311 (165 images) - which is under 1 images every hour! - Okay I paused it for an hour or so to look at logs etc, but it's not making sense.
Johnmg
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:01 am

Re: Questions about the "conversion" process

Postby Johnmg » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Just a thought. I finally got my 416Pay NAS to finish converting indexing files. It took many days and I have about 3-3.3GB of files. If I recall correctly I had to restart indexing until I saw the work "complete". Even moving files seem to takes a little bit of time. I think it coppies the files then has to reindex or something the files. Because after I move a bunch of files, I think the copy is finished but then later I get a message that the copy or move has finished. I also, after the word complete showed up I had to delete the DS photo app ios app and reinstall app. For the new files/Albums to show up and then manully delete all bad Albums that did not automaticly get delected/updated. After that It is working much more smoothly. But I keep in mind that a move is not instantaneous. Depending on the amount of files moved, copied, or deleted. The reindexing might take a frew hours.
It also depends on what the files are....
Are the files photos or large video files. with Large video files you will see very little movement on the percentage screen indicator.

John

Ozzig wrote:It's not just the wording that gets me, it's what it's actually using to report what's being "converted"

As I type, my DS211j is "converting" 311 images and is 53% through
24 hours ago it was 304 and 51% through - no new images have been uploaded!
Prior to that, I updated yesterday and before the restart, it was around 250 and 50% and had taken about 12 hours to get there.

Where are the new images coming from ????

If it takes about 12 hours to do 50% of 250 that about 1 image every 6 minutes...
Over the last 12 hours, it's gone from 51% of 301 (154 images) to 53% of 311 (165 images) - which is under 1 images every hour! - Okay I paused it for an hour or so to look at logs etc, but it's not making sense.
jasrockett
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:02 pm

Re: Questions about the "conversion" process

Postby jasrockett » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Well I've read these 2 pages of comments and I still don't understand whats going on.
I've got 10.3 TB of raw images on my DS1513+ and I haven't added any new files for a year but it's now "converting" hundreds of thousands of images. After a day the total is only growing.
Since it started yesterday the NAS no longer appears on my network.
I was in the process of copying all files to my main computer for a back up in preparation to setting up my new DS1817+ but now what was an exciting time has turned into a nightmare.
rcd
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Re: Questions about the "conversion" process

Postby rcd » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:33 pm

Just want to add that it is now 2017 and god knows how many versions later it is still proudly exclaiming "converting images". Like a previous commentator said, I almost blew a gasket. For crists sake Synology, converting means changing the original. Use correct terminology. Obviously it seems like you are just adding thumbnails, so write that.

I don't need any conversions/changing/thumbnails, so I put my images in a normal folder and discard the photo app, ymmw.
hudriwudri
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:28 am

Re: Questions about the "conversion" process

Postby hudriwudri » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:56 am

Hi,

am new to the synology NAS, bought a DS418j.

I copied ~~ 200.000 pics (~900Gb) from my external HDD to the NAS with Total commander.

Can somebody explain to me why DSM shows 90.000 Pics converted (got thumbnails) but only 3% done.

If i listened to my math teacher 50 years ago this should be nearly 50%

Any help would be appreciated. UL pics from Windows with the with the Photo station uploader is a pure pain in my ass :oops:
by(e)
Hudriwudri

ราปิด เวียนนา คือ ที่หนึ่งของฟุตบอลออสเตรีย
MY_NAS
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:26 pm

Re: Questions about the "conversion" process

Postby MY_NAS » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:33 pm

kkoetter wrote:cplai... any thoughts on what 'Cloud Station Client' might do with items in the @eaDir folder..?

I recently purchased a DS415+ to replace my DS212+, with the intent of using the DS212+ as an off-site backup. I installed Cloud Station Client on the DS212+, and set it up to sync the /photo, /video, and /music shared folders. Everything went well as far as the sync goes. Unfortunately, the DS212+ is now in index/convert mode. My concern is, if Cloud Station is syncing between the DS415+ and DS212+, does it ignore the @eaDir folders..? I suspect (and hope) it does. If not, then I would be concerned about an infinite loop where the DS415+ @eaDir folders get synced over to the DS212+, which indexes/converts them with new @eaDir folders, which get sync'd back to the DS415+, and so on.

I would hope the s/w designers at Synology are not that stupid, but it is impossible to find a white paper on the subject, or to get someone at Synology to explain what is happening (even an explanation on what indexing/converting actually is or your findings around @eaDir folders have zero explanation from Synology).



I have 2 DiskStations, One of them is DS-412+ where my photo album resided. The second one is DS-918+ and I wanted to transfer all my photos to the photo folder of the new one. I copied them first to photo folder. Then, I used the Drive app to 2-way synchronize photo folders of both. After a long time, they were synchronized but conversion process took about a week for 75000+ photos. Then, I was suspicious about the endless loop so I paused the sync process. After everything was converted, I resumed the sync. Sync started again even though I did not change anything and conversion started as well. I stopped the sync again. I am not sure if DRIVE app can be used to sync the photo folder and not cause endless conversion loop. For now, I am stopping the usage of photo folder sync.

Return to “Photo Station”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests